• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,030 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 29 July 2007 - 04:00 PM

Today Shoot-it and I did an experiment in which we fired two different bullets from my .270 wsm into a stack of compressed, wet magazines to determine if my new load with the barnes 110gr triple shock would produce adequate penetration for use on heavy bodied deer. I used the factory 130gr ballistic silvertip load to test the new load againced because I once used it on a large hog with great results.The test media of wet compressed magazine papper was probably quite a bit tougher than any deer but I wanted to really see what the lighter bullet could do againced the toughest game cali. has to offer. We set the bullet trap at 250 yards and let the copper fly. The 130gr load penetrated 7.5 inches of media. Upon recovery weighed in at 73.6 grains and had an average expanded diameter of .475 (.440 at the narrowest point and .510 at the widest point)The 110gr tsx penetrated 10.5 inches of media, recovered weight was 109.6 grains, and the average expanded diameter was .552 (.500 at the narrowest point and .605 at the widest point)Posted ImageThe "wound channels" left by both bullets showed that the ballistic tip produced a slightly larger cavity in the first couple inches of media but then left a long narrow channel. The tsx left a longer, more uniform channel that remained the same large size until just before the slug came to a rest.All in all, I'm very happy with the new load and hopefully I'll get some live media to put it up againced this season.
Sharps, the rifle that made the west safe for Winchester!

Real tractors have two cylinders and hand clutches.

My rifle is mine, it isn't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like.

#2 rr762mmfmj

rr762mmfmj

Predator

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 04:17 PM

Great post! Amazing, the Barnes only lost .4 grains and had greater expansion than the ballistic Tip, penetrated deeper with more uniformity. I can't wait to load the 180's for my /06. Have you done any group testing yet? How did your loads Chrony ?

#3 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,030 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 29 July 2007 - 04:46 PM

Amazing, the Barnes only lost .4 grains....... Have you done any group testing yet? How did your loads Chrony ?

The funny part is that I weighed a few of the slugs before I loaded them and they normaly weighed in around 109.6 to 109.8 grains. I don't have a chrony but useing loading data and bullet drop figures I estimate this load to be right around 3500fps. They group right at an inch and the fouling shots go into the same group too. I really like that because I know that whether my gun is squeaky clean or a little dirty it'll shoot right where it's supposed to.

My rifle is mine, it isn't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like.

#4 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 05:43 PM

Awesome report! I too am going to pick some up for my deer rifle.

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,685 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 29 July 2007 - 06:01 PM

I really like the Triple-Shock X-Bullets, there's no lead to lose. I bought some for my 6mmAI and .270 to shoot piggies with too. It sounds like your test was pretty successful. :signgreatreport3kg:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#6 rr762mmfmj

rr762mmfmj

Predator

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 07:31 PM

They group right at an inch and the fouling shots go into the same group too. I really like that because I know that whether my gun is squeaky clean or a little dirty it'll shoot right where it's supposed to.

The "cold shot" data, knowing where its going to impact is, in my opinion, one of the most important pieces of information about your rifle/load that you posses, ask any Sniper. To the rest of us, often the one round you get to squeeze off during a hunt is always the cold shot. Knowing where it will hit usually makes the difference of bagging one or walking home empty handed. Every time I fire one of my rifles, I go through the same cleaning process prior to hitting the range or field. The cold shot data is recorded along with the ambients of the day. For example; my 22-250 will place the first round 4" low and 4" left in calm wind at 600 yards. Important stuff to know.

#7 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,030 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 10:32 PM

In the past I would NEVER take a freshly cleaned rifle afield during a deer hunt. Useually the first two shots from a clean bore would go astray then it would go back to normal, so I would put two rounds thru them before going on a hunting trip and then I wouldn't clean the bore until the end of the season. One less thing to worry about now.

#8 rr762mmfmj

rr762mmfmj

Predator

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 05:55 AM

Some what agree. I clean the rifle after firing it(usually), then it gets stored in the safe. Prior to firing it, I patch all any lubricant out of the bore. The same procedure, every time. May not be the absolute correct way, may not be the best way, but it's the way I do it, and it works for me. As they say" Your Mileage May Vary"

#9 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 01 August 2007 - 05:17 PM

Thanks clampdaddy for your excellent report. I did a Google search on Barnes TSX & everything I read was very positive & also confirmed your findings. There were quite a few sites on it in fact.Thanks for sharing :signlol2iu: Frank

#10 yunggun

yunggun

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 08:12 AM

Great post! That's useful. I guess I'm gonna have to try out those barnes-x after that bit of info. Thats amazing.

#11 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,649 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 11 December 2007 - 10:37 PM

Glad you did thanks. :doh[1]:
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#12 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,030 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 07:02 PM

Good idea Johnny. I can't say how well these bullets will work on small varmints but it works damn well on coyotes and deer!Posted ImagePosted ImageI shot this yote and deer with the same 110gr. tsx load this year and each one hit the ground before I could recover my sight picture from the recoil. Both times I heard the meat report but I had to ask my hunting partner if the critters went down or ran a few yards and piled up. With this load I've finally found my perfect predator/big game combo, which would come in really handy in areas where predators, deer, and hogs could make a nice mixed bag hunt. It shoots as fast and flat as a varmint load plus it hits and penetrates like a big game load. I wouldn't trade it for two tons of lead.

#13 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 14 December 2007 - 07:38 AM

Excellent report and pics, Camp... definitely says it all, doesn't it?!I've got some tsx 53gr Barnes bullets for my 22-250, but have not loaded them up yet... but will... I just wish Barnes would hurry up and put a 20 caliber tsx bullet out. I bought some (expensive) 130gr tsx factory Federal ammo for my oldest son's 270 wsm. I am hoping they shoot well in his gun as that would definitely be the hot ticket for it. Thanks Again For SharingFrank

#14 jacobpaschall

jacobpaschall

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Interests:Interested in all things to do with accurate rifles. Use to competition benchrest shoot (NBRSA). Avid varmint hunter and handloader. Have all kinds of varmint guns, from facotry to fully custom.

Posted 14 December 2007 - 12:23 PM

:signs1198ol: Thanks for the report. I was a little worried about the TSX after trying out the VG's. Sounds like they would work well on larger size game. I'll have to give them a try in my 7 Mag.

#15 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,030 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 03:46 PM

They do cost more (about 29 bucks per fiftey bullets for my .277 110gr.) but I like the fact that you can go with a lighter bullet than you'd normaly use in a leaded bullet design and still get or better the performance of the heavier leaded bullet. Plus, with the lighter weight you can really speed them up and flatten out the trajectory which is never a bad thing, especially when hunting wide sagebrush flats that might require a long shot to be taken. Besides, I only get to fire a couple shots a year at deer and coyotes anyway so the cost isn't that big of a deal. I did my load development, sight in, and trajectory testing with one box of fiftey then I made up a box of fiftey hunting rounds and I still have 48 left for next year.You know, it'd probably be really hard for a guy to tell the difference between a "varmint grenade" bullet and a speer tnt hollowpoint bullet. :eck05: Maybee we should do a study to see which leaded varmint bullets look like the nonleaded alternatives so we don't accidenlaty use the wrong ones when hunting in the condor range. :signs1198ol:

#16 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,030 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 02:41 PM

:smiley-sorry: Thanks for the report. I was a little worried about the TSX after trying out the VG's. Sounds like they would work well on larger size game. I'll have to give them a try in my 7 Mag.

I know a guy who uses 120gr tsx bullets in his 7mm mag and .280 AI for hogs and big utah & idaho mulies. He puts more game on the ground than anyone I know so I figured that if they worked for him I'd give them a try.

#17 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,030 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 02:28 PM

Man, this is turning into the post that never dies. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: Have any of you done any similar tests that you'd like to share?

#18 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,762 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 20 March 2008 - 06:08 AM

I use the 140 grain TSX in my 7Mag and have been really pleased with their performance on three antelope that I have taken so far. Caliber sized entry holes, 1" exit holes and absolutely jelly of the internals in between.
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users