7 replies to this topic

#1 watchmaker

watchmaker

Plinker

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 03:01 AM

KNIVES FOR HUNTINGMany of us hunters of long have a love affair with the tool of a successful hunt; the knife.In our minds, we have this idea of the perfect knife that will fit our hand like a glove; that will perform surgery like a scalpel; that will not need to be sharpened ever, and will remove a cape as well as field dress and skin anything from a deer to a moose.In our search for the perfect blade, we accumulate many of them that are probably as good as the best knife ever made, but in our search for Nirvana we keep adding new blades and hoping to do enough hunting to test all of them on game.On the other hand, some hunters are not interested at all in the tool. My friend Frank that has probably field dressed at least fifty deer with the same Buck hunter knife in the last 20 years removes it from the pack once every year in hunting season to field dress a deer or two, and the blade goes back into the same pack to wait for next year’s job.Perhaps his father being a butcher has something to do with it. He was taught how to field dress a deer early in life, and to him it is just a necessary job that has to be performed. To others like me it is a culmination of all our efforts and should be done as elegantly and as clean and bloodless as possible and with the most effective of tools.I have found in my long search for the perfect blade that many of today’s knives in the market qualify as superb blades for the job. A good knife blade of 3 ½ to 4 inches will be plenty for most chores. Preferences in my case are for the drop-point blades, but I have had good service from clip points or other shapes.Some of us like a fancy wood or antler handle or perhaps some engraving on the blade. Those I label dress knives and are a great way to stir a conversation between fellow hunters. I am one with that type of taste and will always appear at camp with a fancy blade. The truth is that I perform all of my field dressings with a plain one that I keep hidden in my pack.Here is one of my fancy blades, the Browning model 122 one of one thousand, and the one that does the actual field dressing, a Buck 192 Vanguard.Posted ImageBest wishesWatchmaker

#2 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 27 July 2007 - 06:57 AM

I use a folding Kershaw 3" drop point or my Benchmade 3" clip point folder. Like you said I have about a dozen "hunting knives" at home but I use these two 99% of the time.
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

#3 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,798 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 27 July 2007 - 07:49 AM

I don't think I fall into your "...are not interested at all in the tool...." category, as I do find some beauty in some of the knives I have seen. And I do own more than one. Several bucks, a G96, some from Coast, but nothing like what you show. I have just never been into buying "pretty" knives. I have an old high school buddy that makes knives. He uses all kinds of material for the scales, and some of his knives are beautiful. But I just can't see paying that kind of money for a knife. It doesn't cut any better, and I would be devastated if I left it along side a creek after cleaning up. With all this said, I really enjoyed your post. Keep em coming!!
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,481 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 27 July 2007 - 08:45 AM

Nice write up Watchmaker. I've tried my hand at knife making though the top knife in the picture wasn't finished when I took this picture. I made a copy of one of my favorite Schrade PH1 sheath knifes below it in the picture. I wanted to use some antler knife scales I cut from some old antlers I had. The stainless for the blade came from a metal yard and I plasma cut to rough shape before grinding and polishing to that you see.Posted Image

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#5 Quade

Quade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • Interests:Im an art major at Folsom Lake College. So I spend a lot of my time drawing. And if I have time, I shoot then sleep. ( In that order)<br />I picked up a tattoo machine almost 2 years ago..<br />Its scary as hell, but its fun at the same time..

Posted 27 July 2007 - 09:35 AM

Knife looks great John... I was just looking thru one of my drawers the other day. I must have 15 - 20 knives in that drawer.. I always have some sort of blade on me at all times... You dont really know how many time you need a knife during a day.... not too often for security reasons, just as a tool....

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot. The guy who invented the other three, he was the genius.

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,481 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 27 July 2007 - 09:49 AM

Thanks Bobby. I always have a knife on me for like you say it really comes in handy during the course of a day.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#7 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 10:14 AM

That Browning is beautiful.As a young fella I used to believe I needed a big monster knife for my gutting and cleaning of game. I grew to appreciate a much shorter blade as I grew in age and maturity (my wife would dispute the maturity part!). That Buck looks like it would make a great skinning knife.

#8 rr762mmfmj

rr762mmfmj

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 12:29 PM

I, along with everyone else here, have dozens of knives. When an individual knife was purchased, I had hoped it would fill a void or, satisfy my need for a "one knife does most chores" Over the last 50+ years I have evolved to carrying a multi tool on my belt when in the field or at the range. The knife I drag along with me, usually in a pack or other pocket, is mission specific.For example, when deer hunting on our property in NY, I have a Gerber knife with a small gut hook on the top of the blade. That knife along with a smaller 3" blade knife, handle all the field dressing needed. Those knives are always carried in a pack or, for the evening hunt in my jacket pocket. Each knife has a 12" length of orange surveyors tape attached to the handle so I can see em easier when they are on the ground while gutting. Fishing, Quail hunting, hiking, etc. I carry a knife that I feel would accomplish any task I need done. A few rules I kind of stick to is; I bring the smallest knife I can get away with for a given need. It has to be deadly sharp and easy to sharpen.Now I am not talking about all the knives I would bring on a trip, just what I would have on my person at any given time. As always, in addition to any knife I bring along, my Victorinox Executive is always in my left front pocket, it usually gets there before my socks go on.A few knives I have gotten away from over the years are knives like Buck, I have 5 or 6 of them, nice knives, but not worth the hassle sharpening them in the field, just my opinion. Military type knives, have a half dozen of them also, good to have around but I am not using them for their intent, so they end up being used as a light Axe. I don't have any hollow handle "survival" knives. Other than the ones that are made from one piece stock, then machined down are worthless, when you start beating on them, you just end up with a two piece knife kit in your hands, some welding and Assembly required.Funny, when my brother and I were kid's, my dad used to point out a guy in the field with a huge Bowie knife hanging on his hip and joke that that was a "Tenderfoot knife" The name and the associated chuckle remains to this day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users