18 replies to this topic

#1 RAPTOR72

RAPTOR72

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 04:19 PM

Hey guys,Doing archery for the first time out here in the great state of California, and was wondering what altitudes the deer are at in August. I heard they migrate up higher during the hot season, any base to that thoguht?Tom

#2 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,774 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 25 July 2007 - 04:56 PM

Yep the big bucks are usually up as high as they can get. Cooler up there.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,054 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 25 July 2007 - 05:39 PM

I always find that you see them in everyone's yards up in the hills they're sneaky. It keeps them away from the mountain lions too. But yes higher early and as the temps come way down with the snow they move lower.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 25 July 2007 - 07:04 PM

I agree with John... They are in peoples yards.. Around me we have resident deer that live here year round. But they hang out in the orchard and up in the up in the oaks above my house. My mom lives a couple of miles away and shes in a more city type setting. 2 and 3 acre lots, that is where the majority of the deer are LOL.. They KNOW archery is coming...and are hiding out, getting fat on all the free handouts and plants in peoples yards.. Its nothing to see bucks bedded down in someones yard under a shade tree.. And mama deer with wee onesin tow as they go from house to house...
Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,054 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 25 July 2007 - 07:34 PM

That's the truth CH. :smiley-funny-post-sign:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#6 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 05:54 AM

Generally this time of year, look where the timberline ends. First snow, they will head into the timber and down lower. Last year in Colorado even found them a couple of thousand feet above timberline which was real surprising, don't normally see them up that high.Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1
Fellow Team Savage member and Team Ruger! Semper Fidelis!
NRA Certified Instructor / Multi-state CCW Instructor

#7 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 06:33 AM

I would start mid mountain to and work your way to the top.. Look in draws and canyons. I usually find a well used trial with good sign and start working that. The problem with the deer here is it's harder to connect because they do not pattern themselves like whitetail or mule deer. Stay after them! You'll get one and when you do it will be the best feeling every, especially with a bow! I get one with my bow just about every year.. What zone are you hunting?

#8 assasin

assasin

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 07:22 AM

find water and find the deer then follow tracks to one of their bed spots right now they will be doing the same thing every day

#9 RAPTOR72

RAPTOR72

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 03:18 PM

I was going to hunt D5, been scouting out some area around strawberry. I was wondering if that is high enough this time of year, 5500'.Tom

#10 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 03:32 PM

Raptor, you'll see some bucks there, but the bigger ones are up higher - tho' you'll sometimes find the rogue big buck lower. I'm going up to D3-5 areas and to at least 7,800' - 8,500. There'ssome great granite/limestone shelves that I tend to see the big guys hanging around...sometimes it can take a while to spot them glassing...ear twitch or slight movement to catch their antlers..
Mac Daddy"Lock, Stock and Two Smokin' Barrels"

#11 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 03:33 PM

sorry, for the repeat post...my browser/network is having issues...errrr....

#12 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 26 July 2007 - 04:10 PM

We hunt at 11K ft in Colorado.. They are there...Best time to hunt the high country is when the snow flies :popcorn: Sends them big boys into rut and they get stupid..
Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

#13 DEERSLAM

DEERSLAM

Hunting 365 days a year...in my mind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts
  • Interests:Family and hunting

Posted 26 July 2007 - 04:27 PM

One word, HIGH!
MIKETEAM .204"Had God not intended for humans to hunt, he would not have made animals out of meat."

#14 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 02:56 PM

We hunt at 11K ft in Colorado.. They are there...Best time to hunt the high country is when the snow flies :signs1242cn: Sends them big boys into rut and they get stupid..

That is soo true...

#15 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 28 July 2007 - 06:07 PM

I agree with John... They are in peoples yards.. Around me we have resident deer that live here year round. But they hang out in the orchard and up in the up in the oaks above my house. My mom lives a couple of miles away and shes in a more city type setting. 2 and 3 acre lots, that is where the majority of the deer are LOL.. They KNOW archery is coming...and are hiding out, getting fat on all the free handouts and plants in peoples yards.. Its nothing to see bucks bedded down in someones yard under a shade tree.. And mama deer with wee onesin tow as they go from house to house...

CH,Like this?Attached File  2007_fawn.jpg   73.51KB   85 downloadsOr this?Attached File  2007_fawn_doe.jpg   73.27KB   85 downloadsBut, we also have a grounds maintenance contract with them. We leave small manzanita and ceanothus bushes and they trim them for us. Thay also trim the oaks and such. ;) Oh yeah, they don't forget the apples and the roses. :roflmao3[1]:

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#16 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 09:44 PM

Awwwwww Now aint that just adorable???

#17 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,690 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 28 July 2007 - 10:13 PM

I was going to hunt D5, been scouting out some area around strawberry. I was wondering if that is high enough this time of year, 5500'.Tom

Stawberry is D6 go where the people are not.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#18 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 07:27 PM

find water and find the deer then follow tracks to one of their bed spots right now they will be doing the same thing every day

Yep find a water source and you will find deer.

#19 45Colt

45Colt

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 11:41 AM

This is gettin interestin !Just might get a D5 tag.So, who's going where ?Might do a Google Earth up there.
The old calibers and guns got the job doneKeep reloading-We may need it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users