#1 huntnsurf

huntnsurf

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, surfing,fishing,sports,target shooting,reloading,camping

Posted 19 July 2007 - 09:58 AM

Looking to purchase a rangefinder would like to spend around 200.00 anyone have any suggestions. I will use it mostly for squirel, coyote, and target dont feel like I need a bunch of fancy buttons.

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,042 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 19 July 2007 - 10:01 AM

Unfortunately you get what you pay for. You probably can guesstimate the yardage closer than what a $200 range finder would tell you.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 03:40 PM

I have to disagree with John on this one. I bought a Bushnell Yardage Pro 800 for $190 about 18 months ago on sale. It ranges very well, never had a problem ranging stuff. However, the optics are not great. It's 6x magnification, the optics are a little darker than I'd like, has a small eye piece, and it's not terribly clear. Don't get me wrong, it works just fine for ranging normal stuff like tree trunks, bushes and shrubs, dirt clumps, rocks, etc all the way out to 600 yards easy, and out to 700-800 yards on larger targets like elk, trees, rocks, etc. No complaints on the accuracy or on repeatable readings. It's just the optics that are less than good. It's worth the money if you're only going to spend about $200 on a budget. The new Leupolds are much much clearer and brighter, and of course they also cost twice or thrice as much. As far as I understand it, the laser stuff for ranging is pretty similar in all the different models in the regular consumer grade rangers. The big difference is the quality of the optics and the nifty new micro computer programs that figure angles, temp, and all those whistles and bells. For pure rangefinding ability and accuracy, I really doubt that a Leica 1200 is any more accurate than my Bushnell 800 on standard targets at reasonable/typical ranges such as under 500 yards on regular sized targets like deer, trees, clumps, etc. I could be wrong, but that's my personal experience.

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,042 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 06:14 PM

SN I don't care if you disagree with me or not on this one. But I owned your range finder and you haven't owned my Leica. They don't even compare to each other they aren't in the same class. I'm not putting yours down but I've owned one and they can't range objects anywhere near the size or under less than perfect condition that the Leica will. It's just that simple more serious long range hunters use the Leica because they are better under all conditions. Leica produces some if not the best glass in the world and that's what it takes to do the job.

Time waits for no one--

#5 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 06:26 PM

The only thing I disagreed with was your statement that he'd probably be more accurate guestimating the distance than using a $200 rangefinder. That's balogna. :)Leica is a moot point anyways since one he's on a $200 budget and two he isn't a serious long range hunter.

#6 huntnsurf

huntnsurf

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, surfing,fishing,sports,target shooting,reloading,camping

Posted 19 July 2007 - 07:03 PM

Ding ding, thats why I ask these questions to get everyone opinion and reviews, thanks guys but your right Iam not a long range shooter. Leupold is making one for about 250.00 and it is a 6x or 8x not sure, I might go with that one.

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,042 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 07:32 PM

And three I'm not going to argue with you Ben because you love to argue and I hate it. I never brought up the Leica to begin with you did. There ya happy now. :signs1242cn:

Time waits for no one--

#8 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 09:46 AM

Geez, I didn't realize that I was such a burden around here. Well, you don't have to worry about me anymore.[/membership]

#9 John

John

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,Bench Rest Shooting,Reloading,Fishing,Camping and the great outdoors

Posted 20 July 2007 - 06:23 PM

My first Range Finder was the Newcon 1500 thought it was good untill I got my new Lica CRF1200 ,The optics are clear as a bell and it ranges instantly when the button is pushed and I love the RED range box in low light conditions.$600 yep but worth it.JMHO!

#10 Robs223

Robs223

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 08:35 AM

I spent $215 on my yardage pro on ebay, it retails for about $450 but I'd suggest looking on ebay before searching anywhere else. Needless to say Im very happy with mine. It has a range up to 999 yrds. but more then likely i'll never go outside of 300 or maybe 400. Good luck in your search huntnsurf.
KILLEM ALL, LET GOD SORTEM OUT!!!

#11 FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 06:57 AM

Thought Id just chime in, I was interested in getting a range finder and thanks to this thread I will definitely make sure I dont just buy one because its cheap. I was contemplating the same thing, buying one for around $200,not anymore. Thanks.

#12 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,189 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 12:36 PM

Geez, I didn't realize that I was such a burden around here. Well, you don't have to worry about me anymore.[/membership]

Where did you go stiffneck.

#13 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,042 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 05:22 PM

He got pissed off and left. Apparently he can dish it out to people but can't take his own medicine. :1087:

Time waits for no one--

#14 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,189 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 06:42 PM

You Meany you scared him away :1087: :1087:

#15 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,042 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 06:45 PM

Yep that's me Mr. Bad ass :1087: :1087:

Time waits for no one--

#16 Buckaroobarnone

Buckaroobarnone

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 06:57 PM

I sure hope I don't piss you off John. :014: :1087: :1087:

#17 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,042 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 07:02 PM

:1087: Right back at you. :1087:

Time waits for no one--

#18 Buckaroobarnone

Buckaroobarnone

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 07:05 PM

:1087: