#1 JeepMan5

JeepMan5

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Guns, Tattoos, Women, and 4X4s

Posted 19 July 2007 - 01:06 AM

I been wanting to get into bow hunting but i'm cluess :harhar1[1]: about what kind of bow to get. I know about the diffrent kinds there are Recurve, Compound, english long. I also know that to go hunting a majority of people use compound bows, but then i here them talking about "let off" and what aloud for hunting that when i start getting lost. I do have a recurve for target use but that it. Any help on whats a good brand and what you like and use would b great.

When All Else Fails Use A Bigger Gun

#2 Quade

Quade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • Interests:Im an art major at Folsom Lake College. So I spend a lot of my time drawing. And if I have time, I shoot then sleep. ( In that order)<br />I picked up a tattoo machine almost 2 years ago..<br />Its scary as hell, but its fun at the same time..

Posted 19 July 2007 - 10:21 AM

Great just another hobby to take your money away... :harhar1[1]:

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot. The guy who invented the other three, he was the genius.

#3 FIRST TIMER

FIRST TIMER

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Interests:I LOVE TO HUNT. IT'S BEEN AWHILE SINCE I HAVE POSTED ON THE CLUB WEBSITE. I NEED TO GET BACK OUT IN THE FEILD AND PUT SOME ROUNDS DOWN RANGE. HUNTERS RULE AND GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!

Posted 19 July 2007 - 10:31 AM

Try and find a good shop in your area. If you can get someone that will go through everything with you, its a lot easier. I started bow hunting a few years ago and just love it. I found a great shop and they fitted my bow and that made the learning curve of shooting a lot easier. Me and my Dad both have Botech bows. I can't say enough good things about them. They are very fast and forgiving to shoot. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

#4 tW!tcH

tW!tcH

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 08:31 PM

Sportsman's Warehouse in Rocklin has some good equip with good prices. Just make sure you feel good about what you are doing. If you don't feel compfortable with the people you are dealing with, walk away. The technology has changed so much since when I started, it is amazing. Check online for prices too, and make sure that you do your research. Once you purchase a bow, practice, practice, practice. Also, the bow kits aren't always a good buy. You should pick the sight and the rest that you want. The drop-away rest works great, but read the ratings of other archers. Good luck, it's an expensive endeavor.

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,054 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 26 July 2007 - 09:29 AM

I've had good luck in the past here: WILDERNESS ARCHERY 4870 Pacific Street Rocklin, Ca. 95677 916-630-8700They have a website too: http://www.wildernessarchery.com/

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#6 yunggun

yunggun

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 01:09 PM

I agree, you should try to find a good shop in your area and ask plenty of questions. If you want to have your best chance at killing something with a bow then I would definetely go with a compound. Don't worry about let-off, I don't think that there are any real laws about that, just that the bow can't lock back like a crossbow. There are plenty of good brands of bows that are good, quality weapons. Bowtech, Mathews, Hoyt, and PSE are just a few of those quality brands. If I were to suggest a brand it would definetely be Bowtech. I have a Bowtech Tribute and it shoots like a dream. I won't shoot anything else, but that's just my opinion. There are other really good shooting bows out there. Take your time, save your money and buy what you really want. Avoid shortcuts, you'll just end up spending more money. Well, I guess that's enough from me. Hope you find what you want. Good luck!

#7 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 28 July 2007 - 09:00 PM

I live about 10 minutes away from the Bowtech factory and I stopped into their pro shop today since I am also beginning the dive into archery. They have a nice little 20 yard indoor range there and the customer service is top notch. I shot a Diamond Black Ice (EXCELLENT bow, but a little higher up the $$$ ladder than I want to start with), then I shot a Diamond Justice and was very impressed. A guy I work with told me to check Sportsman's Warehouse because Bowtech is making a bow with the SW name on it, it comes as a kit, and I think the price is only like $459. I asked the techs at Bowtech about it today and they said it's a Patriot 2 clone. They continued on to say it's a great bow for a beginner, but one that wouldn't quickly be outgrown. I'll probably own one by the end of next week so hopefully I can let you know more about it later on.
Oregon Hunter's Association memberE. Clampus Vitus Estanislao Chapter 58, Humbug Chapter 73, and Umpqua Joe Outpost 1859 memberIf you can't fix it with a hammer, then you've got an electrical problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users