5 replies to this topic

#1 capitol

capitol

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 08:10 PM

I finally put this rifle together. The upper is a Bushmaster V-match, 223, free floated aluminum handguard and 16" chrome lined barrel. No biggie right? Apparently, Bushmaster doesnt stock these uppers and you know how it is once you have your heart/mind set on something. I placed my order with a lead time of 8-12 weeks and it was delivered in 10. Thats a long time to wait for an upper if you ask me.While waiting for the upper I purchased a Noveske kx3 flashider. I think I posted info about it a while back. My main reason for purchasing the kx3 is it sends a lot of the noise down range. It doesn't make the gun more quite, it just re-directs the sound away from the shooter. That's important when dog trolling with no hearing protection. With this in mind I figured why not shorten the barrel on the BM upper and have the kx3 permanently attached.So, I send my long awaited BM upper to the gunsmith. Next, I decide I dont want a plastic collapsible stock. I want an old school aluminum collapsible stock, easier said then done. I finally got one, but it rattled like crazy. Nothing the oven and a vise didnt take care of.After two months I get the upper back from the smith. The barrel is 13" and the kx3 is perm pinned and makes up the other 3. The entire rifle is one inch over the legal limit at 31" and weighs in at a mere 7 pounds. The Eotech works perfect with this set up too.Posted Image31 inches. Its little.Posted Imageyou gotta love any rifle with a fire breathing pig on it Posted ImageTook the rifle out to Livermore range today and it performed perfect. The rifle cycled everything from handloads to milsurp to Federal Nosler ballistic tips. No problems at all. Thats nice.Im thinking I want to get a quick detach mount for the Eotech and get another one on a low powered scope. This way I can swap out the red dot with a traditional scope in the field depending on the terrain.Oh and one more thing. I was shooting next to an older gentleman in his 50's. He was shooting his pet 243 handloads through his prized bolt gun. He's telling me how devestating these ballistic tips are on coyote. I asked if he hunts coyote and was suprised by his response. He said, I've seen so many in Colorado when Deer hunting, but could never get close enough for the shot.Now to my point. At the end of his shooting session he brings back his target and start showing me his groups. The best one has all the holes touching and he says can your AR15 do that? Im thinking a yea my Grendel will better that mister.I try to explain this rifle is a brush gun and it's designed to shoot at close targets like a coyote at 20 yards or less. He then laughs at me and says you'll never get that close to a coyote.People are funny. He has no clue what he's talking about, but has the nerve to tell others what in his mind is the truth.
Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

#2 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,175 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 09:06 PM

Thats very nice It came out looking great. That is one mean looking flash hider muzzle break. I think it does make the gun louder if the sound is up in my face lol. That guy is funny telling you how devastating those ballistic tips are on coyotes but he never shot one before he just heard it from someone else what a dork.

#3 huntnsurf

huntnsurf

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, surfing,fishing,sports,target shooting,reloading,camping

Posted 14 July 2007 - 09:25 PM

It looks great and fun to shoot. :smiley-funny-post-sign:

#4 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 07:06 PM

I like the pig belching fire!

#5 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:14 AM

Some things are worth the wait!! Let's see some carnage with this bad boy!

#6 DEERSLAM

DEERSLAM

Hunting 365 days a year...in my mind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts
  • Interests:Family and hunting

Posted 16 July 2007 - 12:33 PM

I like! I see too many AR's that are big and heavy, that's why I have stayed away from them. 7lbs is great. How were your groups at 100yds ?
MIKETEAM .204"Had God not intended for humans to hunt, he would not have made animals out of meat."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users