8 replies to this topic

#1 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 05:58 AM

One of my old High School buddies was bitten on the heel by a Cotton Mouth he will be fine. He is a frog chaser or one of those people who do studies on salamanders and frogs. He works in the Swamps of Georgia. Me and my hunting buddies wear snake boots while hunting and scouting here on CP. I would post his pics but they are too big and can't shrink them to 325. :roflmao3[1]:

#2 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 11 July 2007 - 06:15 AM

I've never worn snake boots or chaps. I went hunting with a guy once who did. Generally I try and avoid walking in any grass or brush tall enough that I can't see where I'm going and just be real careful to avoid rattlers. Those chaps and boot seem awfully stiff. If I was seeing snakes all the time I might wear some but I usually only see a couple of rattlers a year at most.

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,664 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:23 AM

Nope don't wear them and I used to catch rattlers wearing my tree hugging Birkenstock's. :lol:

#4 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 11 July 2007 - 10:46 AM

Have never worn them. You don't really need them here in CA. We don't have the kinds or numbers of venomous herps in this state as do other states. This topic was brought up last year as well. You can search previous posts to get a feel for the overall desire of members requiring snake boots.You can certainly buy yourself a pair. And you could also buy a climbing helmet in case you fall during your hikes. :lol: db

#5 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 02:11 PM

That may be where you hunt but here on CP the place is crawling with rattlers in my 11 years here on base I have run in to countless Rattlers. Treated many Marines with snakebites as well because no matter how much you tell them to leave them alone they still like to Jack with them. Some of my buddies use to go looking for them at dusk it was not uncommon to see 10 or so in a evening. With Summer here the Wardens are allways collecting them in the Housing areas and Camps and relocate them. I see them by the dozens at the snake shed at their office when I go hunting. Climbing Helmet thats a good one. How about you buying a case of Depends so you don't Soil yourself when that rattler bites you in the :lol: :lol: :rofl2: :rofl2: Just Kidding LOL!!!

#6 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 11 July 2007 - 07:26 PM

I wear chap. I have two hunting buddies that got bitten. I don't want to take chances. :signs1180lq:

#7 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:07 PM

I walk very carefully and slowly in the grass and around rocks. Normally if they sense me near they will either rattle, or go another direction. Plus I carry a nice 6 foot wooden walking stick with me just for this reason. That will normally keep you out of range of a strike.Darren

#8 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 12 July 2007 - 11:10 AM

I believe you there. I think over 90 percent of the snake bites in the US occur from people pokin around at them, or doing something silly.I use to collect them for a study UCBerzerkly was doing with anti-venine. We cauht 36 one night. But again, you don't see them like that during the day. I guess you just have to be observant whenever you are inthe outdoors. Just common sense.db

#9 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 05:14 AM

I believe you there. I think over 90 percent of the snake bites in the US occur from people pokin around at them, or doing something silly.I use to collect them for a study UCBerzerkly was doing with anti-venine. We cauht 36 one night. But again, you don't see them like that during the day. I guess you just have to be observant whenever you are inthe outdoors. Just common sense.db

True that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users