• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Youngster18

Youngster18

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:live in kern county and i cant get enough of predator hunting.

Posted 09 July 2007 - 05:07 PM

so i'm buying a new pack for a back packing trip to whitey but i'm also going to be using it for a hunting pack in the fall and when i move to Idaho. so have one and what do you guys think about it? i'm buying the 4500 because the 2200 dosent have enought space and from what i've been tolled the 2800 has more space but smaller pockets so really less space.so what do you guys think?

#2 Stan

Stan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 05:46 PM

What brand Gregory or ?

#3 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 05:49 PM

Love my Osprey pack. Use it in the Rockies for the past 5 years. Haul all my gear in and out with me. Now I use it for my summer predator hunting pack as well. Works great.Darren

#4 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 10 July 2007 - 06:33 AM

Good luck on the Mt. Whitney trip. Did the backpacking trip to the top with my scout troop when I was 16. Spent a week and over 50 miles on the trail coming in from the backway. I'll never forget the experience as long as I live. Be sure to bring both sunscreen and some sort of deet based bug repellant. The mosquitos are unreal!! Nothing worse than getting eaten alive by the bugs or by the sun. A good poncho and an extra garbage bag are also essential. It rained on us four out of the seven days of the trip and this was in late July!!! The extra garbage bag is to put over your pack. I don't care if they say the pack is waterproof, it won't be after a few hours of being rained and possibly hailed on. Good luck with your trip and let us know how it goes.

#5 DEERSLAM

DEERSLAM

Hunting 365 days a year...in my mind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts
  • Interests:Family and hunting

Posted 10 July 2007 - 06:32 PM

Badlands makes a great pack, I don't think you can go wrong with them. On the other hand I personally use an Eberlestock J104. It's a great pack that is expandable and also has a rifle scabbard for hands free hiking.

#6 Youngster18

Youngster18

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 09:15 PM

jason it sound like i'm going on the same hike. my troop 333 and going up Mt Whitney the back way. its a little over 54 miles. i'm pretty stoked!! everything i put in my pack i put in its own grabage bag ( sleeping bag, clothes etc.) i learned it as a little trick when i was 14. just because it isnt raining doesnt mean you gear wont get wet!!. i've broken my fair share of loggs crossing streams. haha. i climed mt langly 2 years ago and mybe again on my way back from whitney. thanks you guy i'll have pics and a stroy when i get back. but i still have a few more weeks so right now i'm just trying to get ready for the elivation change.

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,583 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 11 July 2007 - 06:25 PM

but i still have a few more weeks so right now i'm just trying to get ready for the elivation change.

Sleep on your roof! :signs1180lq: Mt. Whitney is awesome I was there in 1970.

#8 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 12 July 2007 - 07:28 AM

Your Right ShooterJohn, Mt. Whitney is a blast. I went in the summer of 1991 with troop 496. We almost didn't get to go to the top. The thunderstorms had been really bad and a couple days before we were to go to the top we met a park ranger on the trail who let us know three people were killed by lightening up on the mountain. The lone survivor told of how the lightening was literally bouncing off the rocks. Instead of getting off the mountain the decided to take refuge in the old ranger cabin that's up on top of the mountain. Big mistake. Stone walls, metal roof, and metal chimney. The lightening came down the chimney and proceeded to bounce around off the walls inside the cabin. They never had a chance. Fortunately the rain the thunderstorms stopped the day before and we had perfect weather. The view is incredible. Those 90+ switchbacks to get down the mountain were quite a pain. A couple of the scouts on the trip didn't heed the bear warnings and kept leaving food in their packs. Night after night the bears would come into camp and rip up their packs. Fortunately none of them were in my patrol. Finally after several lectures they finally figured it out. There was usually a flippin bear box right next to their tents too. We ended up being short on food though because of these folks and had to share our patrols food and suppliment it with trout. I ate trout almost every day. It took me a long time afterwards before I would consider eating trout again. We had trout nearly every meal because of those yahoos!!!!!

#9 Youngster18

Youngster18

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 11:42 PM

ya its now mandatory to have bear canisters up there when you back pack. hey does anybody know what you have to do to hunt that area for bears. it sounds like theres a bunch and i would love to shoot one!! is it a no hunting zone or is it a draw? just woundering.

#10 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 12:23 PM

So how did the trip go? I don't remember seeing an after action report.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users