21 replies to this topic

#1 camopaint

camopaint

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 01:07 PM

Seeing as I may be returning to my native state sometime in the near future Im curious about the current laws regarding ARs. I know there was a point where they making AR lowers with magazine wells that were welded or fixed as to not accept magazines, are these still legal in CA or not? I really enjoy using the AR for hunting and hoping that I can still save the upper and work on building a decent CA legal lower when I get back home. Thanks in advance for the info!

#2 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 02:32 PM

If you're moving to CA you can get a permit which will allow you to bring your AR into the state with out the pinned or welded magazine well. Contact the CA DoJ and request the paperwork.

#3 camopaint

camopaint

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 05:11 PM

Yeah, not gonna go that route. Id rather buy a CA legal lower before I move back to keep from actually having a California paper trail, thanks for the input though, I appriciate it.

#4 Quade

Quade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • Interests:Im an art major at Folsom Lake College. So I spend a lot of my time drawing. And if I have time, I shoot then sleep. ( In that order)<br />I picked up a tattoo machine almost 2 years ago..<br />Its scary as hell, but its fun at the same time..

Posted 09 July 2007 - 10:12 AM

I got myself a fab10 lower in march.... it has the well closed, you have to pull the rear pin and break open the gun to reload it...it shoots great.http://www.californi...?showtopic=3848Also you get a letter from the DOJ stating that it is legal to own....

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot. The guy who invented the other three, he was the genius.

#5 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 10:23 AM

I guess I just don't understand why you wouldn't jump on the chance to own a REAL honest AR here in Cali land. If you're shy of paper trails for firearms you're coming to the WRONG place.

#6 Quade

Quade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • Interests:Im an art major at Folsom Lake College. So I spend a lot of my time drawing. And if I have time, I shoot then sleep. ( In that order)<br />I picked up a tattoo machine almost 2 years ago..<br />Its scary as hell, but its fun at the same time..

Posted 09 July 2007 - 10:44 AM

IM going to get a lower ( a real one) soon...I could care less about paper... If I have to lock the mag in place anyway, whats the diference between the fab10 and a Stagg lower..?Both have to be broke open to reload...Too be legal anyway..

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot. The guy who invented the other three, he was the genius.

#7 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 11:07 AM

I have a Stag-15 lower. I'm just real busy right now so I haven't had a chance to get it built. The good news is, no more dealers for transferring anything. Everything else can be shipped directly to me. :1rock1oo:
Sheldon

#8 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 11:11 AM

Not if you go with an A2 stock and a monsterman grip.

#9 Quade

Quade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 11:29 AM

Not if you go with an A2 stock and a monsterman grip.

True.... but I build the ar for the pistol grip...Why not just get a mini-14...Its all about personal preference...Im just hoping that they will grandfather in all the off the list lowers... which I doubt..

#10 camopaint

camopaint

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 11:47 AM

Spoke with the DOJ today and according to them the permit to bring an AR into the state does not exist. The form refered to is soley for dealers who sell to and service government agencies, not the individual, thats from the DOJ. Also I asked about the experation of the law and learned that it is permanent and can only be repealled by legislation. I guess Im screwed if I move back to the state. Is anyone working on any kind of legislation to get these violations of our Constitutional rights repealled? If so, Im all for getting involved in any capacity that I can! My guess is most folks are to apethetic to do anything about it and would rather roll over and take prison style. Its a shame.

#11 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 11:58 AM

I'd be willing to bet a cold six pack the person you spoke with just doesn't know any better. The people who answer the phones are well known for giving wrong information or just being clueless. I asked the same question before I came to CA and got the same answer. So I left my AR's in MO. After I was here I found the form and was mad as hell about it. Something similar exists for active duty folks.If you want more info send me a PM and I will put you in contact with someone who knows.

#12 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 12:04 PM

Im just hoping that they will grandfather in all the off the list lowers... which I doubt..

grandfather what in?OLL's are legal. My stag-15 has an open mag well (because it's just a receiver at this point). Once I install a lower parts kit, I'll install a prince50 or bullet button (both of which are magazine locking devices).
Sheldon

#13 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 12:06 PM

I'd be willing to bet a cold six pack the person you spoke with just doesn't know any better. The people who answer the phones are well known for giving wrong information or just being clueless. I asked the same question before I came to CA and got the same answer. So I left my AR's in MO. After I was here I found the form and was mad as hell about it. Something similar exists for active duty folks.If you want more info send me a PM and I will put you in contact with someone who knows.

I agree. Or possibly getting that information because they have a 'personal' agenda to mis-inform folks regarding the CA AR laws.
Sheldon

#14 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 12:13 PM

grandfather what in?

I believe he is referring to making them "AW's" and forcing a registration. This would allow us to have any of the EVIL features that they outline in law.

#15 Quade

Quade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 12:20 PM

grandfather what in?OLL's are legal. My stag-15 has an open mag well (because it's just a receiver at this point). Once I install a lower parts kit, I'll install a prince50 or bullet button (both of which are magazine locking devices).

I know there legal, but maybe they will want to start over fresh let people who have oll's, and let them drop mags....Or maybe the state will get there ball's back...

#16 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,804 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 09 July 2007 - 12:49 PM

I believe he is referring to making them "AW's" and forcing a registration. This would allow us to have any of the EVIL features that they outline in law.

The law changed at the first of the year and the DOJ no longer has the authority to list any more rifles as "Assault Weapons". That would take new legislation.
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

#17 Quade

Quade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 02:24 PM

The law changed at the first of the year and the DOJ no longer has the authority to list any more rifles as "Assault Weapons". That would take new legislation.

So your saying that I can have a post ban ar-15 with a pistol grip and mags?and its not a aw

#18 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,804 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 09 July 2007 - 05:58 PM

So your saying that I can have a post ban ar-15 with a pistol grip and mags?and its not a aw

All the same restrictions apply, if you have any evil features, you cannot have detachable magazines. If you have a fixed magazine you can have all the evil features that you like.What the law change did was prevent the DOJ from adding any other receivers/guns to the "Assault Weapons List" by name. The existing description of "Assault Weapon" by features is still on the books and the "Kassler List" by manufacturer's name is still valid. The DOJ just cannot add any new names to it.
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

#19 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 09 July 2007 - 10:13 PM

Be very careful with Cal Legal AR's. A small gun store owner here in Modesto was raided by Cal-DOJ, all their Legal lowers were seized and they are being prosecuted. go to www.madison-society.org. and search for People v. Lake, et. al.
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#20 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 06:14 AM

Yes I have heard the same for Active duty were allowed to bring in certain firearms one of my friends has a AK- 47. May have to keep it in the Armory.

#21 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,789 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 10 July 2007 - 08:30 AM

camopaint,Have you checked with the legal office at your command about the AR question? Since you're in the gun totin' business maybe they would have some insight into this question.

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#22 USNGOAT

USNGOAT

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 04:01 PM

CAMOPAINT,Unfortunately you have been given a bunch of horse sh*&!! I too am in the military and was stationed in San Diego until very recently. You can bring an assault rifle into the state and will be issued an assault rifle permit plus more. The problem with all of this is that there are so many people that don't know and do not care to know that any gun shop you go into says you can not do it and they leave it at that. They do not care about it, know the laws or for that matter want to. I have asked the questions several times just to see the response I would get and it is always the same. You can do this. All you have to do is move into the state with your weapons, under military orders, take them to a gun shop and they will then take custody of them for the 10 day drose period while your paperwork is being done up. It really is that simple. I am going to be doing it in a few months thru a shop in SoCal. Not only are you issued an assault weapons permit but one of the thing the permit allows you to do from that point on is not have to wait the ten days to purchase a weapon!! Now that is the bomb. My friend who is a manager at the shop, and very, very knowledgable was up front and told me that it would not probably happen the first day at most shops as they would need to look up the laws but you would certainly not have to wait the complete ten days. The point is that permit gives you that right to just walk in and purchase a weapon and walk out. Again everyone does not know the laws so you are the one that has to suffer from it. If you have anymore questions or concerns about this feel free to PM me about it. LaterUSNGOAT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users