• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 19 June 2007 - 02:42 PM

Got a quick question for some of you pros out there. I've always been a long gun guy but recently got a hankering for the small arms. I've always been a fan of the single actions, especially the old Colt single actions and the clones that so many make these days. I've used handguns over the years on critters like squirrels and jackrabbits and found it to be great fun. Generally, the single actions that I like happen to be those critters with the pesky non adjustable style sights like the old Colts that had the groove in the back and the front post. I've heard of ways to make adjustments to these non adjustable sights but some of them scare the heck out of me. Elevation isn't such a big deal. I know that I can file the front sight lower to make it shoot higher. It's the right and left that get me nervous. I've heard that you can file down one side of the fixed V channel or one side of the front post to get it to move. This doesn't sound too bad. The other extreme I have heard is actually beating the barrel with a hammer which is just crazy talk. Another idea I had heard about is getting a gun smith to rotate the barrel to the right or left. Also a bit extreme for my taste. Is the filing method effective? I am also wondering which way I file on which sight to get it to move right or left. I would hate to file the wrong side down and make it worse. Thanks.

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,496 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 19 June 2007 - 02:57 PM

Before you do any sight adjustment you have to find a load you're willing to stick with. Once you change the sights they're changed forever until you get new ones installed and then I'd buy adjustable.Revolver front sights: The front sight can be adjusted for windage by turning the barrel slightly from side to side.Any sights: By lowering the top of the rear sight notch, the point of impact can be lowered; by lowering the top of the front sight, it can be raised. Filing the inside left of the rear sight notch will move the point of impact left, as will filing down the right side of the front blade.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 19 June 2007 - 03:33 PM

Spooky stuff. Obviously, don't do this on an original old colt.

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,496 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 03:39 PM

Yeah, that would definitely leave a mark. Oh and the price would go waaaaaaaaay down. :smiley-sorry:

Time waits for no one--

#5 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 20 June 2007 - 03:59 PM

If it were mine I'd have the barrel tightened or loosened a bit to get the windage set. At least there will be no permanent modifications to the gun and if you go to far you can always reverse it a little to get it where you want it.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,496 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 05:06 PM

We had a member here once that tried to bend the front sight a little. Trouble is he bent it right off.

Time waits for no one--

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users