15 replies to this topic

#1 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 12:46 PM

What does this sheet mean that I got back when I had my scope repaired? Did they return it to zero and I will have to readjust it?Attached File  1.jpg   17.96KB   15 downloads

#2 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 03:35 PM

Mac<<< I'm waiting to hear what other folks say....If you don't mind (let me know first), I will send it to a buddy of mine who owns a gun shop, maybe he can help answer. However, I've always know to wait as SJ tends to be up-to-speed on lots of information :smiley-funny-post-sign:
Mac Daddy"Lock, Stock and Two Smokin' Barrels"

#3 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 16 June 2007 - 03:57 PM

I'm no scope expert but I think that the chart on the left is stateing that when they recieved your scope it was set at six clicks (or minuits) high and ten left from the true optical center of the scope. I think that the chart on the right is showing how many clicks or minuits from every direction your scope has to find the true optical center.I don't know if they put it back to where it was at when they got it but even if they did you'll have to sight it back in. I've never had a scope go back perfecty, even after simply loosening and retightening the rings a little to change the eye relief.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#4 204destroyer

204destroyer

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 03:59 PM

I was told it depends on what they did to the scope. If they took it apart they will re-center everything as new, so yes you start over. :smiley-funny-post-sign:

#5 DEERSLAM

DEERSLAM

Hunting 365 days a year...in my mind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts
  • Interests:Family and hunting

Posted 16 June 2007 - 05:16 PM

I've got no clue...but would like to know.
MIKETEAM .204"Had God not intended for humans to hunt, he would not have made animals out of meat."

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,195 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 16 June 2007 - 07:33 PM

They're just telling you where it was set when they received it.You'll want to center your scopes adjustments before bore sighting it and then making your finial adjustments at the range.Making windage and elevation adjustments moves the entire erector system horizontally and vertically inside the scope. If the erector system is off to one side - as a result of having been mounted on a non-adjustable mount - the adjustments won't provide equal travel in all directions. To regain full balanced travel, you must center the adjustment as follows: 1. Turn the windage adjustment to the point that it stops moving. 2. Counting the clicks or hash marks, turn it all the way in the other direction. 3. Turn the dial back half the amount of clicks or hash marks counted. 4. Repeat this process for the elevation adjustment. Your scope is now centered and if you bore sight it well you'll have lots of travel in all directions.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#7 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 16 June 2007 - 09:18 PM

The picture on the left shows the position of your scope crosshair when Leupold received it. The picture on the right shows the position of the crosshair when it left Leupold Service Center. Leupold shipped all new scope with the crosshair in the center position and that includes the one that comes out of the service center. At least that's what they told me when I sent my scope for service. Trust but verify. :smiley-funny-post-sign:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#8 Gunner

Gunner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 11:10 AM

John, Have you ever centered the scope erector this way?http://www.usoptics....eo/centerhi.wmv

#9 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,784 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 17 June 2007 - 11:57 AM

John, Have you ever centered the scope erector this way?http://www.usoptics....eo/centerhi.wmv

Nope. But, there are a lot of things I haven't tried. What happens if your boresighter isn't perfectly aligned?

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#10 204destroyer

204destroyer

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 09:06 PM

I'll share with you how leaupold told me to re-center any scope you have, and it works. Very easy to do. Take a small mirror and hold it tight against the objective end of the scope, this will block out most of the light but you will be able to see 2 sets of crosshairs looking through the scope, the real one---and the reflection in the mirror---- you simply adjust the turrets to where both sets of crosshairs turn into one and you have set the scope back to dead center, just like it came from the factory. :)

#11 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,784 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 17 June 2007 - 09:32 PM

:) OK, everyone go ask the wife or POSSLQ for the purse mirror, then run get your rifle and start looking through the scope at the mirror. Her next call will be to the state hospital in your area, to come haul your butt off and bring plenty of restraint devices. He's looking at hisself in the mirror through a rifle scope! :) Good information, but....

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#12 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,787 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 17 June 2007 - 09:50 PM

Hey, I've got an unmounted used scope and just tried it. Works great. Yep, there are two cross hairs and it easy to line them up.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#13 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 17 June 2007 - 09:54 PM

Great tip 204! :)
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#14 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,195 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 18 June 2007 - 12:40 PM

Gunner I've never tried that trick before. But I probably wouldn't have any finish left on the scope moving it back and forth.I have used the mirror trick many times and I think it was Leupold that gave me that tip too. In fact I'm sure it was because I could get the scope sighted for lack of travel. They replaced that scope.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#15 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 01:28 PM

Instead of the Shell Answer Man...I'm gonna start calling SJ the "Predator Club Answer Man" -- dude knows a lot!
Mac Daddy"Lock, Stock and Two Smokin' Barrels"

#16 204destroyer

204destroyer

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 04:20 PM

I was having trouble with a scope moving internally on me, it would shoot a bullseye then the next shot would be a foot low, it was years ago but I contacted leaupold and they suggested the mirror trick . Shoot the gun with the scope set at factory zero then look through the mirror and see if anything moved---it did ---they replaced it---all was well.Its kinda hard to see the second set of crosshairs on the mirror because its DARK IN THERE but if you look hard enough they are there and it does work. As far as using my wifes compact mirror----you would be surprised what she will loan me when I have that rifle in my hand. :roflmao3[1]:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users