• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 10 June 2007 - 10:14 PM

Got the parts on Saturday for the El Cheapo Varmint Caller. Just went to Radio Shack and got the stuff off the shelf. Had to subsitute a different MP3 player as the one on Al's web site is a little out dated. Everything went together easily and the first test everything worked. Downloaded calls from Al's website to start with and managed to annoy the wife a little. When I volunteered to move the testing to the back yard, she protested about that also. Said that I'd drive the neighbors crazy! :signbummer8tl: :roflmao3[1]: The unit components totaled about $100. A lot cheaper that an FX5. If you shop at the alternate sites you will be able to get the components cheaper. It is powered by one 9 volt and one AAA battery. Should do at least one day's stands on the two batteries. I was surprised how much sound comes out of that little amplifier powered by a 9 volt battery! :signs165xk: The MP3 player that I chose has such a small display screen that I plan to get a different one. When I said that I planned to return it, the wifey objected and said that she would take that one. I plan to order a refurb unit, from Fry's, that has has a larger display.You will need to have a computer with Windows XP (preferably) and USB ports in order to move the calls from your computer to the MP3 Player after you download them. If you're still in the dial up Internet world you will need some patience to download the sounds. :roflmao3[1]: Will post pics after I get some camo paint and cover that white RS speaker so it doesn't glare so much. Plan to experiment with extension cables to allow the amplifier to be remote from the speaker by a few yards. I am pleased with the project at this time. Web LinksVarmint Al's El Cheapo CallerRadio ShackFry's ElectronicsLater,

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,687 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 11 June 2007 - 08:57 AM

That's great Gary. I can't wait to see the pictures of the project. :roflmao3[1]:

#3 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 01:28 PM

I bought a camo fanny pack that I keep my el cheapo in. That way my IPod and everything is self contained, set it out with the decoy and walk away. Also, I changed from the Radio Shack loudspeaker to another one that has better sound. The loudspeaker cost $10 off a website (will dig out the link later on if anyone is interested).Darren

#4 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 11 June 2007 - 06:36 PM

Went shopping today and got some camo colors of paint. Gave the El Cheapo a few shots of paint and it is getting close to finished. Still have to replace the MP3 player and rig some carrying handles. Got the velcro strap that holds the amplifier from an electrical supply house. The base is a piece of 2 X 6 left over from some project. The overall length is 12".

Attached File  el_cheapo_caller.jpg   52.08KB   62 downloads

Gotta get out and try it. Have to find out if Wiley likes it as much as I do. :smiley-funny-post-sign:

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,687 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 11 June 2007 - 08:39 PM

Looks great Gary. Nice paint too! :smiley-funny-post-sign:

#6 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 09:15 PM

:smiley-funny-post-sign:

#7 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 09:38 PM

That looks just like mine ,but i straped the mini amp tp the back of the speaker :smiley-funny-post-sign: check this out http://www.western-r.../downloads.html down load the bobcat distress you will have all the cats at your house LOL

#8 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 10:02 PM

That looks just like mine ,but i straped the mini amp tp the back of the speaker :signs1242cn: check this out http://www.western-r.../downloads.html down load the bobcat distress you will have all the cats at your house LOL

Dang, they have a whole bunch of sounds. :smiley-funny-post-sign:

#9 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 06:41 AM

That looks just like mine ,but i straped the mini amp tp the back of the speaker :smiley-funny-post-sign: check this out http://www.western-r.../downloads.html down load the bobcat distress you will have all the cats at your house LOL

My cat goes nuts over the bobcat distress as well. Also, the field mouse distress brings it running!Darren

#10 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 07:03 AM

:smiley-funny-post-sign:

#11 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 10:36 AM

COOL!!!Dang, I've been busy and distracted with others things going on right now. I need to get mine finished up.

#12 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 10:06 PM

I had about four cats starring at me once when I had that bobcat distress playing. It's fun playing with it thats for sure I had a few local coyotes howl back but never come in . I was thinking that lion growl could come in handy when a salesman comes a knocking :smiley-funny-post-sign:

#13 pj1016

pj1016

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 07:44 AM

That is cool.Must...make...one...soon.pj

#14 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 06:30 PM

Nice looking setup! And I agree, nice job on the camo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users