#1 DEERSLAM

DEERSLAM

Hunting 365 days a year...in my mind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts
  • Interests:Family and hunting

Posted 09 June 2007 - 10:16 AM

Is the 12 guage 3' mag. with the Carlsons Dead coyote choke and Dead coyote shells enough gun for yotes. I'm sure it is, but out to 50 or 60yds will it do the deed on a consistent basis? I need to know. My Uncle is thinking about handing down one of his Benelli's to me. Any and all input is appreciated, thanks.
MIKETEAM .204"Had God not intended for humans to hunt, he would not have made animals out of meat."

#2 huntnsurf

huntnsurf

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, surfing,fishing,sports,target shooting,reloading,camping

Posted 09 June 2007 - 11:39 AM

Deerslam,I use 12 gauge 3" mag steel BB, Ive shoot a few not quit sure how far, it seems to me if you can commit a coyote to come into 50 yards 25 should be no problem. They always go right down in a roll and never move a muscle.Benelli would be nice I would not hesitate to own one.

#3 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 02:19 PM

but out to 50 or 60yds will it do the deed on a consistent basis?

No, not consistently. A lot more consistent inside 40 yards.
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#4 DEERSLAM

DEERSLAM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 03:18 PM

So is 3 1/2" mag the way to go"
MIKETEAM .204"Had God not intended for humans to hunt, he would not have made animals out of meat."

#5 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 05:18 PM

IMO, if you feel you are going to get alot of 50,60 yard shots, use a rifle. The majority of my shotgun kills are probably in the 20-25 yard area...dead. Once I got out to 40 yards and beyond a couple shots and some track shoes come in handy lol. If you shoot at enough 50 yard coyotes you're bound to drop a few in their tracks but I wouldn't count on it consistently anchoring the critter. I can't comment on the 3.5" stuff, never used it. Coyotes are pretty tough customers.
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#6 peeker seeker

peeker seeker

25-06 shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts
  • Interests:Grand kids, My dogs, My girls the rabbits and hens Hunting & fishing

Posted 09 June 2007 - 06:43 PM

Shot gun Mags just up the number of pellets not the speed. Still 30-40 yds max. Anything past 40 I would use a rifle. Just my thinking. That Binalli might not be a good gun choice you better give it to me :) :flag: Grab that gun and run :)
Reach out to are fury friends . Use a 25-06 If runs swims or flies ,IT CAN BE DEEP FRIED OR MADE INTO A PIE mmm mmmm ANIMALS IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER. Beeman air...25-06, 223, 7mm- 08 ,7mm Rem mag .Beaman 8 cats 0. Keeper of 2 Border Collie Heelers

#7 DEERSLAM

DEERSLAM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 09:40 PM

Oh yeah, I not passin on the Benelli Super Black Eagle...just wondering about it's effectiveness on yotes. Will probably do wonders on bobs and fox.

#8 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 10 June 2007 - 05:19 PM

A shotgun with a good x-full turkey choke and #4 buck (my preference) or 00 buck will knock the snot out of a yote at 50 yds. That dead coyote ammo is really pricey but they say it is even more effective. Don't use steel it loses it's energy too fast. Get the gun and buy some different loads for testing, take some butcher paper and pattern the gun at 40 or 50 yds. If you have any doubts about the effectiveness put a piece of 1/2-5/8" plywood out at 50 yds. and blast it. Nice thing with a auto loading shotgun is a followup shot if necessary is immediate and a moving shot with a shotgun is what they're meant to do. They aren't meant to be aimed like a rifle.
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#9 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,231 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 10:15 PM

I hope it does not jam I heard they had a problem once. Its mechanical not gas so if the spring isn't broke in they will jam on light loads. I myself like beretta ,but if its free go for it.

#10 DEERSLAM

DEERSLAM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 08:02 PM

I hope it does not jam I heard they had a problem once. Its mechanical not gas so if the spring isn't broke in they will jam on light loads. I myself like beretta ,but if its free go for it.

Never have had a problem with jamming an hope not to.

#11 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 14 June 2007 - 08:40 PM

Every auto loader I've shot over the years has jammed, some more than others. If anybody tells me their gun NEVER jams I smile at them and think to myself that the guy don't hunt much. The Benelli's and Beretta's are top of the line guns. Beretta owns Benelli but they have a different type action. The light loads are more likely to jam in a slightly dirty gun than a heavy load. I just shot 225 boxes of dove loads thru my two Beretta 20 gauges in 2 1/2 days and yes they jammed a few times but I needed a break anyways. Enjoy your Benelli they are a great gun and the price was one of those deals that you can't refuse.
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users