• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 NVWalt

NVWalt

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fly fishing, kitebugging, photography, astronomy, hot springing, looking at as many beautiful women as possible.

Posted 07 June 2007 - 07:41 PM

Where I am living now,Ely,NV., we have a couple lakes that hold some pretty fair sized Northern Pike. From 30 to over 40 inches. I am an avid flyfisherman along with being a diehard coyote hunter but just can't seem to break out over the 20 inch size on them suckers. I will get a big one in due time. So the question is, are there any Northern Pike fisherman here and specifically any guys that fish for them with a fly rod?....Walt

#2 NVWalt

NVWalt

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fly fishing, kitebugging, photography, astronomy, hot springing, looking at as many beautiful women as possible.

Posted 09 June 2007 - 04:27 PM

I guess there aren't any Pike fisherman here, oh well. I did break out of my 20 inch size limit today with a 24 incher. So, things are looking up....Walt

#3 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 09 June 2007 - 04:36 PM

I've never been a fly fisherman, but that sure sounds like a lot of fun. I do have a setup, just never used it. I guess I will have to break it out and give it a try.

#4 NVWalt

NVWalt

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 05:25 AM

Braz, Once you get involved with flyfishing you become addicted. Then you can become an elitist snob fisherman that looks down thier nose at lesser fisherman that don't flyfish :signbummer8tl: ....Walt

#5 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,357 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 08:45 AM

Hello walt I tried fly fishing a little it gets frustrating I finally caught my first trout in 2005 I was surprised how hard he fought and lost him. Have you ever tried fly fishing for bass I did cant seem to get them to strike it and they were jumping all over the place :signbummer8tl:

#6 NVWalt

NVWalt

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 10:46 AM

Shoot-it, I have indeed fished bass with a flyrod. They are fun but don't compare with a trout for duration of fight. You fish them just like you were if you used a spinning outfit or baitcasting outfit. The hardest part is placing the fly where you want it.Not as easy as with the other two outfits but is still fun. Smallmouths in rivers and largemouth in the sloughs and backwaters along with the ever popular lakes. It is just another aspect of fishing, like calling, it gets into your blood and is both challenging and fun....Walt

#7 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 10 June 2007 - 11:19 AM

Walt I've never fished for Pike around here but have up in Canada a few times and we used steelhead casting rods. The best luck I had up there was with great big spinner baits and buzz baits in the shallows. We caught fish to 36" all day long. Those pike will tear up a lure in a hurry. I would think that a big salt water type fly or what they use for Stripers would work and the bigger the better. We fished the lures right on top with a super fast retreive, it was a blast, those pike are so agressive if you missed the hook set they would come back and give you a second or third chance.

#8 NVWalt

NVWalt

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 01:48 PM

bzzrd feedr, I tied up some pretty big fly's for them. 03 long shank hooks and them fly's look better than a Las Vegas showgirl. Not really, but close.LOL They are bright flashy and with the steel leaders on them are a lot to cast. I am hitting them pike a little late as the best time for them, from what I have gleaned on the internet, is early spring right after ice out. I will perservere however and will get me a big one yet. A friend of mine up in Alaska has offered to guide me about to his Pike fishing areas so I may go up there next month and try, funds pending of course. But I am afraid I may never come back to the lower 48. One reason I have hesitated going up north for a long time...Walt

#9 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 10 June 2007 - 04:48 PM

Yea Alaska is fun. I used to be a partner in a Fishing Lodge on the Kenai. Almost got divorced I was up there all summer. If you go up you should look into the wolf hunting up there. I'm sure this isn't a great time for a pelt but it may warrant a trip up there when it is. There was a taxidermist in Soldotna that we used for fish that had 3 wolves together full body mounted in his studio they had the most intense look from those animals staring at you of any mount I've ever seen.

#10 peeker seeker

peeker seeker

25-06 shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts
  • Interests:Grand kids, My dogs, My girls the rabbits and hens Hunting & fishing

Posted 10 June 2007 - 09:57 PM

I love fly fishing. trout bass striper carp But blue gill got all them beet. But I bet a 30 inch Northern would be a real blast. The best part of fly fishing is tieing your own fly's . I like working with deer hair. Frogs and other critters. Hope you get a lunker. :signbummer8tl:

#11 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,357 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 01:38 PM

I went fly fishing Sunday I am new to it . I snagged the bushes behind me and got tanged a few times broke my 5 # tippet a few times to. I did have 2 trout come up on my fly but i missed LOL I need pointers for sure and more flies I did catch 2 suckers and a snake. I had fun now I need more supplies oh no a new hobby( varmints fishing and archery and deer season coming up. Don't know how I will do it. I can't be the only one

#12 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,841 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 25 June 2007 - 12:34 AM

Fly rod and[ stripers] fun. Nice going Walt. :) Pics

#13 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 05:39 PM

Walt....Sorry I didn't get to this thread sooner. I fished for northern pike out of Haines Junction in the Yukon Territories at Pine Lake. My favorite way of fishing them is with a 7 wt rod and a deer hair mouse. Up there in June the pike hang out under the banks of the lake so I'd cast the fly up on the bank and then pull it into the water with a plop. The pike in the lake average about 24"-30". I use about 8" of 40# Maxima so the fish can't easily bite through the leader. Another fly I use is a Lefty's Deceiver just using hen grizzly feathers for the body and hackle. I tie them on a Spey style hook about 2/0. Pike take the fly right down into the stomach making catch and release near impossible unless you just write off the fly. Up there the limit is 10 per day and fortunately even with the forked bones they're delicious. Canadians don't have much respect for them calling them "snakes" and "Slough Sharks." lol They're all lake trout crazy and pass up rainbows, pike and grayling to fish for them. I thought that was pretty cool because they left more for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users