20 replies to this topic

#1 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,272 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 09:03 PM

I have been seeing a lot of carp feeding on the surface of the river our property runs along it for a few miles. I have been thinking on trying to stick one with my bow it's not high tech ,but I think it will work . What kind of fishing kits are there for this I tryed useing a long heavy line but it would get tangled . I shot one carp a few years ago it was fun but he swam away with the arrow :roflmao3[1]: This is a good idea shooterJohn :oops:

#2 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 06 June 2007 - 06:54 AM

Shooting carp is a load of fun. I shot some years ago as a teen and had a blast. They make reel kits you can attach to most bows. Check the fishing regs to make sure that you are following the regs. Good luck!!

#3 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 07:22 AM

Your set up does not have to be "high tech”, lots of people use recurves for this. You need a fishing license and away you go! IMPORTANT: be sure to aim a few inches below the Carp. I look forward to this every year! It's a blast! Have fun!

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,477 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 06 June 2007 - 09:26 AM

Johnny, you can buy the reel setups but if you just want to give carp shooting a try you can make the setup. Take a 2 and a half pound coffee can. Cut both ends from the can. Cut up the sides of the can stopping 3 inches from the top leaving a one inch strip on opposite sides of the can. Bend those one inch strips at a 90 degree angles outward from the can. Now tape the can with the strips you bent to the front of the bow centering the can opening over the arrow rest. Get yourself about 50 yards heavy braided fishing line and tie it to the bow where you taped the cans lower strip. Wind the line around the can leaving at least 3 feet of slack hanging so you can draw the bow. Get yourself a fiberglass fishing arrow and your all set. I used to make these for friends that didn't have a setup for their bows and didn't want to invest in one right away. They work really well.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#5 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 01:25 PM

I think this link was posted in the forum below...but I want to do this...
Mac Daddy"Lock, Stock and Two Smokin' Barrels"

#6 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 01:27 PM

Johnny, you can buy the reel setups but if you just want to give carp shooting a try you can make the setup. Take a 2 and a half pound coffee can. Cut both ends from the can. Cut up the sides of the can stopping 3 inches from the top leaving a one inch strip on opposite sides of the can. Bend those one inch strips at a 90 degree angles outward from the can. Now tape the can with the strips you bent to the front of the bow centering the can opening over the arrow rest. Get yourself about 50 yards heavy braided fishing line and tie it to the bow where you taped the cans lower strip. Wind the line around the can leaving at least 3 feet of slack hanging so you can draw the bow. Get yourself a fiberglass fishing arrow and your all set. I used to make these for friends that didn't have a setup for their bows and didn't want to invest in one right away. They work really well.

Dang, SJ has the answers...'cept I got lost...you have pictures? I am much better visual

#7 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 01:28 PM

Btw, here's a video of someone with a recurve bow fishing carp...http://www.youtube.c...Y...ted&search=

#8 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,272 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 08:42 PM

Dang, SJ has the answers...'cept I got lost...you have pictures? I am much better visual

Mac I am lost to, thanks shooter for that design. Can I use a plastic coffee can .I leave just 2 1 inch strips one each side.

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,477 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 08:48 PM

It has to be a metal can and the line wraps around it. I thought I had an old one in the garage to show you, but I guess I didn't get them back.

Time waits for no one--

#10 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,272 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 09:08 PM

I read you directions over and over i think I got it. I will end up shooting the arrow threw the middle of the can and the string will unwind right?

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,477 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 09:11 PM

Exactly. I knew a farm boy like you could figure it out and build one. They're cheap and they work.

Time waits for no one--

#12 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,272 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 05:40 PM

Her it is shooter did I make it right, Can you guess what I used for the cord LOL Posted ImagePosted Image

#13 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,477 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 07:10 PM

It looks pretty good Johnny. But I've never made one out of plastic though it should work fine. You may want to take your site off and mover the center of the opening so that the arrow goes directly through it. But I say give it a shot or two and see what you think. I knew you'd figure it out. :smiley-sorry:

Time waits for no one--

#14 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,272 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 02:32 PM

Its a tin coffee can I sprayed it. If I take off my sites how will i aim I tied a arrow and fired it yesterday into a bale seems to uncoil very well all i need is a fishing arrow and I am ready.

#15 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,477 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 04:53 PM

Shooting carp I've never used any sort of sight. It's bare bow shooting at it's best. Just remember the refraction in the water means you have to aim under them to hit them. That is unless they're on top sucking. Then make sure you don't shoot their lips off. :)

Time waits for no one--

#16 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,272 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 05:24 PM

LOL the ones that I saw in the canal was sucking, I just got back from MO town with may arrow and 180 # braided string and a roller arrow rest the guy talked me into. I will try to hammer one today.

#17 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,477 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 06:06 PM

Once you shoot one you'll be hooked! :)

Time waits for no one--

#18 NVScouter

NVScouter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 08:13 PM

Good luck its tons of fun. Make sure to get a fiberglass arrow for shots more than 2-3" below the water. Normal arrows are light and tend to zig and zag off to Neverneverland. A good fiberglass arrow will last forever as long as the string doesnt bind, I've stuck em in logs, bounced them off rocks etc. The simpler the better for the arrow tip. I shoot mostly at around the 4-10" depth. Hotter the better so they are in the shallows.

#19 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 12:50 PM

hope you meant 2'-3' (feet) vs 2"-3" (inches)...then for sure they'd be "sucking" at the top of the water!

#20 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,272 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 10:23 PM

I went out and bought a fishing arrow with the harpoon looking tip .I Hit my first carp the other day it took off down river some how pulled off . Than I lost the arrow the string was behind the tin and was cut when I released . I am off to buy a new one I rigged a spinning reel to my bow going to see if it works.

#21 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,477 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 08:18 AM

Be sure to open the bail on the spinning reel or your arrow will be bye-bye. :smiley-funny-post-sign:

Time waits for no one--

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users