#1 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sports

Posted 10 December 2005 - 07:43 PM

SUCKS:Could not get it to group consistantly.Had a couple of nice groups, .25" - .5" and .75"But mostley they were flying in the 1.5" area ;) I tried resting at the front of the forearm then back in the middle then by the hinge pin.Nothing gave me consistant groups.I tried several differant loads, Factory and My special Home Recipe's with differant bullet weight's. All to no Avail :blink: I did find that the forerm had some pressure points so I have releived them and will install a rubber bushing to free Float and then back to the Range.The last Ultra .223 I had shot great, usually .6" and better.If no Improvment it goes back to the Factory.
Failure is not an OptionLincoln,Ca.

#2 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 08:09 PM

Do they have a return policy or will they try to fix it and send it back?

Hopefully they will replace the barrel and send it back, I want the gun.

So what did they make you do at the range today? Any word on when they'll need the concrete team out there?

Mostley clean up and make new target stands. No I dea when the next work day is.Only worked two hours, ate donuts and got full credit :blink: Then I shot four hours.

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,346 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 10 December 2005 - 08:38 PM

Only worked two hours, ate donuts and got full credit :P Then I shot four hours.

Sorry about the gun. ;) Ate donuts and got full credit, not fair! :blink:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 09:12 AM

Mine does NOT like the Win White Box 45gr Varmint HP's that everybody at Greybeard's brags about. The best it will do with that stuff is about 1.5". It shoots the WWB 55gr FMJ the same. :(Maybe your barrel is like mine and likes other stuff. Get a box each of Black Hills remanufactured 40gr NBT and Ultramax 52gr varmint HP (not match HP) to test. My 223 Ultra loves this stuff. Posted ImageI know you've owned a NEF before, so I'm sure you know about the trigger pull needing to be consistantly pulled all the way with complete follow through etc. Also, most folks say they need 200 rounds thru the tube before things start tighening up, or you can speed up the process by using JB bore paste on the barrel etc. Other than that, you can always sell the barrel and get another one.

#5 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 04:35 PM

Well I think I found the Problem: The forearm floating and bushing had no affect at all. There is alot of side to side Movement between the Receiver and the Barrel. I placed a plastic shim between them and got MOA groups. Without it groups were 1.5" - 3". So I am calling the Factory tomorrow and sending it back. I hope they Fix it.Ben:When you have your action open do you notice side to side wiggle between the receiver and the frame ?

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,346 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 06:44 PM

That's to bad about the new gun Sterling. I hope they can fix it for you quickly. There's just no pride of manufacture these days. It seems most everything you buy now-a-days has something wrong with it. :lol:

Time waits for no one--

#7 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 08:22 PM

Sterling, no, my receiver/barrel does not have any wiggle room. It fits rather tight.

#8 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 01:16 PM

UPDATE:I made some steel shims between barrel and receiver.These could be alittle tighter fit, but wanted to check initial progress.So off to the range I went.This is before the ShimsPosted ImagePosted ImageAnd this is afterPosted ImagePosted ImageIt is Still going back to the Factory

#9 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 08:23 AM

Send it quick. Don't wait until Jan/Feb or it'll take MONTHS to get it back. Last year I sent mine in in early Feb and it took 9 weeks to get it back.... :)

#10 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 04:31 PM

Well it went out this morning USPS:Priority, insured and signature confirmation.The first guy to wait on me said we can't mail that, I said yes you can, he said no we can't, I said yes you can :( he said no we can't, I said YES YOU CAN :) , Check the Reg's.Then he says, go see the other guy at the end of the counter :( I go see that guy and he is very accommodating :) Looks up the regs and away we go, no Problems, very pleasant.Cross your fingers for me.

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,346 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 06:42 PM

Good luck! :( I hope it doesn't come back with metal shims that are user installed. :lol:

Time waits for no one--

#12 tomcat

tomcat

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 07:14 PM

my H&R did the same thing so i sold it and had my custom 22-250 made

#13 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,346 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 07:20 PM

my H&R did the same thing so i sold it and had my custom 22-250 made

Don't tell him that! :( He buys and trades enough guns already. :lol:

Time waits for no one--

#14 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 04:02 PM

Well I never got a confermation from USPS that my rifle was signed for or delivered.I sent it out Dec. 22 and here it is Jan. 10.USPS says they "think" they delivered it the 27th but no Signature :P And their not even sure it was delivered. I paid for Signature Confermation :P I called H&R and Yes they do have it ( Finaly ). Three weeks later :) They said about two weeks turn around, I can wait.But I am more than PO'ed with USPS.There is more to the story but I won't bend your Ear's anymore.

#15 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,346 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 04:05 PM

I'm ready for an ear full, or an ear bending. :)

Time waits for no one--

#16 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 08:19 AM

When I sent my NEF in, I also paid for sig confirmation and all that jazz. I never got any word either, so I called. I don't think they bother.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users