Photo

What auto loader pistols are left hander friendly?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 08:04 PM

Who makes a good left hander friendly auto loader? I grew frustrated with my Glock 23 and sold it. I am looking for a carry type pistol in 40 cal or 357 Sig.

#2 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 17 May 2007 - 08:41 PM

Who makes a good left hander friendly auto loader? I grew frustrated with my Glock 23 and sold it. I am looking for a carry type pistol in 40 cal or 357 Sig.

I just bought a Steyr M40-A1 because it has a much better trigger than the Glock and no thumb safety.
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

#3 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 08:54 PM

Is it easy to set up for left hand use? I know you're left handed, but some lefties just adapt to shoot a right handed pistol.

#4 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:09 PM

I have a Glock27 and I love it, but I just handled a Kahr PM40 and I was pretty impressed. It's a single stack 40 that almost fits my hand better than the Glock.
Sheldon

#5 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 18 May 2007 - 07:24 AM

What was so frustrating? The mag release button?

#6 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 07:37 AM

Yep. I didn't like that little thing.

#7 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 08:14 AM

I would imagine that mag release would be easier for a leftie. It's hard for me to get my thumb down there as a righty.
Sheldon

#8 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 08:48 AM

Lefty here too. I am also in the market for a new handgun any suggestions? I would like a 1911A1 or revolver 357mag.

#9 Truckeedan

Truckeedan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing whenever my wife will let me!

Posted 18 May 2007 - 11:23 AM

Lefty here too. I am also in the market for a new handgun any suggestions? I would like a 1911A1 or revolver 357mag.

Most handguns are made for right handed shooters. Leftys who shoot semi autos weaver style get the ejects pretty close to their face. A hot casing in the kisser can get a good flinch going pretty quickly. All the gadgets like safties and mag releases are on the left side of semi autos and revolvers for right handed shooters. Your choice in revolvers to avoid this are top breaks (nothing like a good Saturday Night Special) or single actions, learn to shoot right handed or learn to live with it.As for semi autos, the Springfield XD may come the closes to being ambidextrous but the slide release is still on the left side and it ejects over the right shoulder. Lots of 1911 type semi autos can be had with ambidextrous safties or refit with after market parts.I've got a Glock 31 in 357sig that performs like 357mag. It works for me shooting from either side, but I don't shoot weaver style left handed. The only thing I did to my Glock was drop in a 3# after market trigger.
Mountain coyotes have more fur.

#10 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 18 May 2007 - 12:43 PM

Although a large pistol, Glock now makes a model 21, 45 auto, with an ambi mag release.

#11 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 01:40 PM

Thanks for all the great input. Keep the ideas coming.

#12 Menace

Menace

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 08:26 AM

Look into LE carried weapons. I know the sig can be changed around and have the mag release changed for a lefty and the 226 comes in .40 and the sig pro can be changed around too and it comes in .40 or 357 sig... The sig pro, if they still make it, is a little more compact and comes with different grips for hand sizes and when I was a student working in the armory I saw a sig pro came stock from factory for a left hander....I just took a look at my beratta and the mag release can be switch for a lefty too and has a ambidextrous decock... I may be wrong but cant most pistols have the mag released switched around for leftys by a smith? John

#13 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 20 May 2007 - 08:28 AM

Is it easy to set up for left hand use? I know you're left handed, but some lefties just adapt to shoot a right handed pistol.

The Steyr has no controls except the slide stop. So it's easy to operate left handed.The H&K's have the thumb safety reversible for left handed use.On 1911's I like to operate the magazine release with my left middle finger better than I like using my thumb right handed. Randall made a left handed 1911 back in the 80's and shooting it I actually still preferred operating the magazine release with my opposite hand middle finger than with the correct hand thumb.The Randall had all the controls, ejection port and even the rifling in the barrel built for lefties.
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

#14 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 12:30 PM

Does anyone have a Springfield XD?

#15 Menace

Menace

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 07:32 PM

Does anyone have a Springfield XD?

My buddy carries the compact .45 as an off duty and he likes it and he's a lefty. My buddy's dad just bought the .45 and I went to the range with him.. shoots great, not sure how it works for a lefty, but the action is all metal and the frame is a polymer . I didn't like the way it felt, felt top heavy, but with the mag in it evened itself out until you fired a fer rounds through it.John

#16 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,274 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 08:59 PM

How do you guys shoot I like the isosceles position both hands extended with my thumbs faced forward.It's feels like a more natural stance. I think the H&K has the mag release on both sides I might be wrong.

#17 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 02:16 PM

I am looking at the Springfield XD but haven't decided yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users