17 replies to this topic

#1 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 02:57 PM

Let’s talk about cold weather wear for a minute. I have spent some time in near zero cold out in the open air of TX for hours at a time the last few years and got COLD. The Remington bibs and coat that I have helped quite a bit when worn in layers, but I would like to be warmer. Any suggestions or recommendations from guys who’ve been there and done that?

#2 DEERSLAM

DEERSLAM

Hunting 365 days a year...in my mind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts
  • Interests:Family and hunting

Posted 11 May 2007 - 03:08 PM

I've hunted in ID and MT in single digits with wind chills well below 0. Layering is very important. I wear base layers by Arcteryx and Mountain Hardwear. I then may wear a fleece or wool layer. For my top layer I wear King of the Mountain wool pants, shirt and vest. If it's windy I'll wear a wind breaker or my rain gear.Hope this helps.PS never skimp on gear such as your clothing or boots...it could make or break your hunt.

#3 Truckeedan

Truckeedan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing whenever my wife will let me!

Posted 11 May 2007 - 04:09 PM

It's a constant challenge in the winter up here around Truckee. Seems like you are always too warm or too cold. I find the trick is to wear good headgear and boots. You lose body heat from you head and feet the quickest. When it gets down below 20 degrees, I wear a good fleece hood and cotton socks with fleece over socks in pac boots. I just wear levis under a set of insulated Walls camo bibs (full length leg zippers) and a fleece pullover under a Browining scent blocker jacket. I wear cross country ski gloves or camo neopreme duck hunting gloves depending on how wet it is.In the snow (not much this winter) I usually snowshoe into stands. The above gear gets hot walking in and after about 15 minutes the sweat turns to ice. When you add carrying a bucket seat, electronic caller, decoy, shooting sticks, rifle, etc. Well it's just hard to stay at a regulated temprature.If it's snowing hard, me and the coyotes stay home!

#4 rr762mmfmj

rr762mmfmj

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 06:29 PM

I grew up hunting and fishing in western NY. Freezing cold to the bone is the normal there. Every November I return to Deer hunt with my family and friends. The clothing you will require depends on the type of hunting you plan on doing, slow walking, still hunting, stand hunting etc. Conditions such as temperature, wind, rain/snow and duration of your hunt that day also will have influence on gear.My typical clothing for a mix of still hunting and stand hunting consist of a base layer of thin Polypropylene long under ware liners, top and bottom. Over that is the military weight polypropylene long under ware. Next is a Patagonia mid weight fleece pullover that has the ability to unsnap three buttons at the top for venting. Over all of this goes my Cabelas Gortex-Thinsulate bibs and coat. Up top I usually wear a watch cap that pulls down into a mask and the coat has a hood. On my feet are polypropylene sock liners and Wigwam El-Pine wool socks inside 400 gram Gortex/Thinsulate Danner boots. Along with this I use wool fingerless gloves and a thinsulate fleece hand muff. Also carried is a biscuit type hand warmer, I never could keep one of those JonE ones lit.Thats for the regular snow 0 to 25 degree weather days. If its colder I add heavier fleece long under ware in place of the military weight ones, and either add 300 weight fleece socks over my wool/poly ones, or I just wear my -100 degree Sorel snow packs. If the temp is up or if it rains I just lighten as necessary to the point of shedding all but the poly liners, and wearing a fleece button shirt and German military wool pants. One thing always remains the same, polypropylene liners and long under ware, it gets the moisture away from your body and moisture is what makes you uncomfortable and sick. Just remember to adjust your clothing during the day so you don't break a sweat. Carry food with you that will maintain your body heat as you hunt. Trail mix with little or no chocolate is the best, energy bars are good also along with some hard candy. Candy bars and jerky are for after the hunt, along with an excessive amount of adult beverages.Did I leave anything out?Posted Image

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,583 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 11 May 2007 - 06:43 PM

I've had real good luck with Cabela's Goretex insulated Guide Wear parka and bibs. But they're expensive close to $500 for the pair. But sitting in the snow in the wind I'm warm.

#6 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 08:09 PM

Thanks everyone! John, how would that guide wear stand up to pushing through the brush?rr762mmfmj, great info! I will be doing minimal walking and a whole lot of sitting. I too pack trail mix, but I do add M&M's. Why no chocolate?

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,583 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 08:28 PM

All of Cabela's Guide Wear is reinforced and has wear patches built into it. Follow the links I gave you earlier and look at it. I haven't treated it gingerly and it's like new. It is meant to take punishment and for me it keeps you very warm. Plus sitting in the rain for hours on end I never got really wet. Hauling fish in in the snow is cold but I was very comfortable.

#8 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 08:32 PM

Thanks. Yes, I checked it out but wanted to hear from someone I trust how it would stand up to some abuse.

#9 rr762mmfmj

rr762mmfmj

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 09:22 PM

Well the experts claim it gives you that sugar rush then it collapses and you can get cold and tired. Also in some people(like me) after eating chocolate you can get a upset stomach and heart burn after vigorous activity. I will admit, I do pack Hershey kisses if I plan on sitting in a tree stand for an extended period of time. A benefit of the muff is you can silently unwrap candies etc, inside of it as you sit.I typically swing by Trader Joe's and pick up one of their trail mixes and a bag of dried fruit, or the deluxe mixed nuts from Costco. Cliff bars are good, better are the Mealpack Pemmican bars that are available at Whole Foods and a few other places. The taste is acceptable and they are 400+ calories. For instant energy its tough to beat Wha Guru snack bars. You just have to figure out what you like.Incidentally, my gear is from Cabela's also .(Cabela's Ten Mile series)pemmicanWha Guru

#10 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 09:32 AM

I bought the Cabelas 10x snow suit. Love it! Wore it up at 11,000 ft hunting elk in Colorado last year in below freezing temperatures. Layering is SUPER important. You sweat, you can die out there (no joke on that). I wear Under Armour (or something like it) as my base layer to get the sweat away from my body, then start layering. Have my snowsuit strapped on the bottom of my pack. If I am going to lay in for more then 10 minutes, I just slip it on (very easy on and off with the way it is designed). Of course, carry a LARGE supply of hot hands! Those are the best thing you can get to keep yourself going all day in very cold temperatures. Been hunting Colorado for several years now, and finally have my cold weather rig where I had always wanted it.Darren

#11 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 11:00 PM

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. I should be near a Cabela's when I go back to MO in November and I plan on trying on some of that Guide gear stuff and see what fits me. Also on my list is some stuff that will break the wind as well as a good warm hat.

#12 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,583 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 04:55 PM

Here's a picture of my fishing buddy wearing his Cabela's Guide Wear on a crisp winter run across Union Valley Reservoir.Attached File  Union_Valley_1_26_04_003.jpg   63.72KB   86 downloadsWe fish in cold weather all of the time and these are nice outfits.

#13 NEW2AR15's

NEW2AR15's

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 05:03 PM

My hands an feet get cold very easily! I still need to find some good gloves(looking at Mtn. Harware but I have some high end sorels and I layer my socks, which helps a bunch. If I think its going to get really cold or if I am going to do a lot of standing(not moving much) I use some cheap foot heaters (runs on 2 AA's for about 4 hours each foot, got them on ebay) and that really helps my feet form getting cold and staying that way.

#14 Pogo

Pogo

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 08:48 PM

If it is really cold I go for my Carhartt insulated coveralls. The fact that it is a one piece suit helps a bunch in my opinion. Also they are not as bulky as some stuff and gives good mobility. Underneath I like thin long johns and jeans. I've got some thin synthetic turtlenecks made by carhartt as well that are very warm, with a sweatshirt. Filson hat with ear flops. Hat is most important. Keep in mind that this stuff is all great for winds and sub zero temps, but is not waterproof. It doesn't rain here or anywhere else I've worked in the past. Our snow is dry and it just blows off of you as long as your insulated well.As far as foot wear, the best thing is tennis shoes inside five buckle overshoes. But they are not really made for hiking or hunting in, more ranch work and mud. So I used to have a pair of White's Elk Guide pacs, ordered for 16" calf height. They are the ultimate for winter warmth, waterproof and comfort. I only got rid of them as I can't wear them anymore. Your feet will never get cold or wet in those.

#15 stephen722

stephen722

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 07:43 AM

+1 on the guide wear, been wearing mine for years, fishing all winter long, every week, I got the unisulated, PS don't wash in machine, any more than hosing them off and they need to be retreeted, stephen

#16 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 03:34 PM

a bottle of 151 at least ull feel warm :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#17 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 03:35 PM

what does the guide wear stuff go for. it it a full suit??

#18 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 03:46 PM

okay i see them, i thought it was awhole suit. but no i see that can get expensive too lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users