#1 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sports

Posted 08 December 2005 - 09:23 PM

Well I checked my Ultra .223 for OCL, 2.480 for a 55 V-Max. To touch the lands That 55 is only .065 in the case. If I seat it to Hornady manual Specs at 2.250, it will be setting off the lands .230, Holy Cow The closest I can get to the lands and still have enough bullet in the case is 2.255, that still leaves me .225 of the Lands . Should I send this thing back to H&R ? It is brand new, I have not fired it yet, but spent alot of time prepping it and giving it a Trigger Job. If I try to load 40 grainer's they will be free from the case before ever toughing the lands, in other words they will be flying free.

#2 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,374 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 10:19 PM

I have the same thing with my Sako .223. I have toyed with it and found that it shoots just as well with the bullets backed off. I can load 50 grainers as far out as they will go and still not touch the lands. If I were you I would shoot it and do some experimenting.

#3 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,833 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 08 December 2005 - 10:26 PM

My howa has a long neck and it does just fine. 223s like to jump to the lands don't they? think I read that.

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,664 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 08 December 2005 - 10:51 PM

My Savage is like that I'm pretty sure your old one was too. I work my loads up using factory loading specs. That way the rounds fit in all of my guns. Mine shoot just fine whether they jump to the lands or not. It's the loads that I've worked out that do the trick. Like Rod says shoot it first. :blink:

#5 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 06:39 AM

My Savage is like that I'm pretty sure your old one was too

My Savage was long throated, but I could still reach the lands and have the bullet seated proper, That is if the Mag would have alowed it. This thing is like the endless Tunnel :blink: I will go to the Range in the Morning and try it out, anyone want'a go.If it shoot's MOA I won't worry about it.

#6 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 04:34 PM

Hey Steve:I was planning on going early, about 8:00I'm going Christmas shopping with the little Lady afterwards.I'm going to resite the HMR as well and maybe My .44 SBHAlso I called H&R today about the Long throat and it seems they cut all their Chambers long.It is just the way they have always done it :blink: So it look like I'll have to live with it, I did however make the suggstion that they change their way's.We'll see how she does in the Morning

#7 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 05:50 PM

Not noted on their Web, but I have found out that this is a normal practice with a few other companies as well, such as Some Howa's, Weatherby's.I could dend it back but it come back with another barrel with a long throat, they do them all that way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users