• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 04 May 2007 - 08:22 AM

Ever since I shot my grandfathers original single action colt in 45LC I've been hooked on old single actions. Unfortunately, this old friend is pretty old and the last time my dad took it to the gun smith for repairs he recommended retiring it to make sure the old girl is around to admire down the road. I loved the old 45LC cartridge because the recoil was so light compared to the 44 magnum.I've also been a big fan of cowboy flicks, especially the old Clint Eastwood movies like Josey Wales, Hang Em High, and the Spighetti Westerns. I really like the way the old conversion colts look and was considering one of Cimarron's Colt Conversion Replicas. I like the 1858 Colt Army Conversion http://www.cimarron-...ModArmyConv.htm which they make with a black powder and spare cartridge cylinder chambered in 45LC. I also like some of their conversions in 38 Special but prefer the 45LC. Does anyone have a colt conversion replica or one from Cimarron? How do they shoot? What do you like or not like about them? Thanks.Jason

#2 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 04 May 2007 - 04:27 PM

I go to the local gunshop pretty often just to "play with guns", and short of a real peacemaker, I really like the Taurus copy of the Colt SAA. I've never played with any conversion revolvers but one thing's for sure....Those strapless rigs are about as cool lookin' as a sixgun can get!

#3 45Colt

45Colt

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 09:19 PM

Hello Jason,I too, am hooked.I've shot some pretty hot loads in 45 Colt,out of my Freedom Arms Model 83 454 Casull. I wouldn't exactly call them "ForRugers and Contenders ONLY". The recoil, is very stiff. Using 250gr lead.While I don't have any Cimarron copies,mine are Uberti 45 Colt 1873 Catleman,4 3/4" barrel, and a Ruger 45 Colt,4 3/4" or 4.6" barrel. Both from Alquist Arms in Turlock.I've shot the Uberti many times last year. I did make some loads as suggested by a pard,now in Montana.They worked great. However, it was shooting 4" to the left at 21 feet.(Since been corrected)Those loads included some with BP/sub loads. Made a few with 40gr of BO, and either used a 250gr and/or 255gr bullet.The recoil got up there ! But, no where near those loads for the 454 Casull.Fired the Casull. I wondered "What the H### did I LOAD ?". After firing 5 rounds,I went back to the Uberti.Even those loads, I told Frank (retired from either the Sheriff's Dept or Oakdale Irrigation District) "I sure would hate to be in front of these loads !". Recoil was gentile,still got a batch up to over 900 FPS.We were chronographing that day in June.One, went to 1003 FPS. Yes, some loads were in smokeless,too.He said that when you get up to 900 FPS (or a little above),you're getting serious loads that can be used for hunting.And, you're not beating yourself half to death,as with magnums.The secret, if you want to call it that,is to use cast bullets.These offer the best penetration.When he was stationed in Alaska,(50's or 60's-presume.He didn't tell me) he nailed 2 black bears with those lead bullets.When I have a question on the 45 Colt,he's the first one I've asked. Because, this Uberti 1873,is still a blackpowder design.So, I do the loads with 3F GOEX. About 35gr ought to do.With the 40gr, the bullet get distorted from the seating pressure.I have about 200 bullets I cast a few weeks ago.Got them lubed last week.going to try them out, "as cast".These are 255gr.About as soft as I could make them. down the line,I'll have to cast more.Even with American Pioneer Powder,found the cylinder hard to rotate.Since then,I stripped down the Uberti,used brake cleaner to flush out the Mobile 1 oil I used, then relubed with "Traditions WonderLube 1000 Plus".As, what I've been reading, the petroleum based lubes mixes with the residue from the BP/sub powders,turning the oil into a tarry substance.Making things difficult for an otherwise good day.The Ruger 45 Colt,is what I bought for real serious hunting.My loads are yet to be fired.this one, hasn't been shot since I bought it. Bought 2 boxes of 265gr at Golden Arrow,Oakdale.Bullets are Bear Creek,Waterford.If I could,I would like to afford a real Colt.But, with the way things are now,I'm stuck with either the imports or Ruger.Not saying the imports are bad either.My Uberti is very light.Almost forgot it was on my hip.Hope you'll get your Cimarron,or which ever you choose.Keep reading.

#4 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 28 May 2007 - 09:51 PM

I've heard good things about those cast bullets that come outta' waterford. I've been wanting to try some of them in my sharps and my .45 colt. Where can I get them? Where's golden arrow at in oakdale?

#5 45Colt

45Colt

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 11:03 PM

OK, here's the phone #: 845-9292.He can guide you to his store.Primarily archery.Follow Geer Road to past the tracks (Old Hunt's Cannery). A short ways further, you should see Oakdale Fire Dept.on the left.There's a Barber Shop, Liquor Store. Sorta like an "L". These are on the left side as well.Used to be "Sierra Surplus" and a TV repair shop as I recall.Golden Arrow is at the end.Across from the train depot and park.The parking is big for stores of their size.I usually come in from Riverbank side.At the main intersection,I make a right turn.Maybe about 1/2 mile,on the right.Thought I had his card.Excuse me while I panic !! :signlol2iu: There,I feel better.If he don't have it, he'll order it. And give ya a call when your order comes in.Wish I could have given better directions.

#6 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 10:25 AM

Thanks, I think I know exactly where you're talking about. All these years I've driven right by it on my way to the mountains and didn't even know it was there.

#7 45Colt

45Colt

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 11:30 AM

You're welcome.When Frank first told me,tried using his directions, was confused. Until I gave Golden Arrow a call.Found it right away.When I mentioned "Sierra Surplus",he said he was a few doors down,same building.Golden Arrow isn't very old.About 3 years old.Mucho luck !!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users