• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Spirit of 76

Spirit of 76

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Coyote and Bobcat hunting. Also interested in Upland Gamebird & Deer Hunting.

Posted 02 May 2007 - 09:05 PM

I've been seriously thinking about buying a Personal Locator Beacon (PLB). Does anyone here carry one with him or her while hunting, etc? 406 MHz PLBs Personal Locator Beacons (PLBs) Approved in U.S.www.PLBRentals.com

#2 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 06:41 AM

I to have been thinking of one of these.. My GPS works really good and I keep finding my way back to the rig.. But if something happens out in the field one of these would be great.

#3 DEERSLAM

DEERSLAM

Hunting 365 days a year...in my mind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts
  • Interests:Family and hunting

Posted 03 May 2007 - 03:44 PM

They seem like a great idea. Hopefully as they catch on the price comes down some.

#4 jephs422

jephs422

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 07:55 PM

I sort of have one. I have a personal EPIRB for my boat. Yes, it was expensive, but I wouldn't go offshore without it. Since it is registered, the second I hit the water, or hit the button, I can have coast guard to my location in minutes usually. Heck, I am sure that if I needed it hiunting I could take it. The CG would probably just scratch their heads for a few minutes before sending for help, LOL.

#5 Spirit of 76

Spirit of 76

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Coyote and Bobcat hunting. Also interested in Upland Gamebird & Deer Hunting.

Posted 04 May 2007 - 12:07 AM

I sort of have one. I have a personal EPIRB for my boat. Yes, it was expensive, but I wouldn't go offshore without it. Since it is registered, the second I hit the water, or hit the button, I can have coast guard to my location in minutes usually. Heck, I am sure that if I needed it hiunting I could take it. The CG would probably just scratch their heads for a few minutes before sending for help, LOL.

I bet it would work. Is your EPIRB a 406 mhz unit? Do you have to register your EPIRB with NOAA? Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon (EPIRB)The signal info gets sent to the Mission Control Center (MCC) just like a PLB signal.See How does an EPIRB work? (.pdf file)I've seen on the Versus TV hunting show where Tred Barta left his PLB on (showing it off to the viewers) and forgot about it (dummy). Later when he was back down off the mountain, the U.S. Coast Guard helicopter flew right up to the boat dock and dropped them a hand held two-way radio to see what was going on. I don't know if it was true or just for show. I just saw the tail end of that show.Other than the show, I do know that those PLBs (if personally owned) are registered to the owner and the MCC will call your home phone if they get a signal (with digital ID number) from your PLB. If you don't answer, then they will decided who the best rescue resource is and send them looking for you.

#6 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 08:25 AM

Don't need one. I don't plan on getting lost. It'll never happen to me. :rolleyes:

#7 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 08:39 AM

I don't go far enough into anything to need one.

#8 Spirit of 76

Spirit of 76

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 09:37 AM

Don't need one. I don't plan on getting lost. It'll never happen to me. :rolleyes:

:glare: No body cares if you're lost. You only get to use the PLB if it's an emergency. Moses wouldn't even have been allowed to use one. Well, unless the snake bit him.

#9 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 09:40 AM

Being lost doesn't qualify as an emergency?

#10 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,683 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 04 May 2007 - 09:59 AM

The CG would probably just scratch their heads for a few minutes before sending for help, LOL.

They'd just say that just Jeph and he's always lost. We'll go look for him after lunch. :rolleyes:

#11 jephs422

jephs422

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 10:04 AM

Dude I'm always lost!!Yes, I do believe it's a 406mhz. Not sure though, I know that I got rid of my older unit since NOAA and the Coast Guard were phasing them out. I registered it with NOAA and did a test on the unit. They called in literally seconds. Pretty cool.

#12 Spirit of 76

Spirit of 76

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 10:04 AM

I don't go far enough into anything to need one.

I've considered this myself and I understand what you mean. I don't get out as far as I would like to as often as I would like to. Is it worth the money spent on something I hopefully never need? I'm a pretty well prepared person. I can survive (so I think?). But I have been in a lot of places while still in my vehicle where I didn't have a cell phone signal or anyone around to send or call for help. If I was involved in a vehicle accident and had (or someone else had) life threatening injuries, I'd use it to summon help if I was in a remote area. I could see where folks that live or play in desert areas in the summer time could use one if their ride breaks down and they start to bake. I think that one motivating thing for me to justify buying one is, if I'm not carrying it with me for myself on some hike, then I most likely would have it with me on family outings. I've been watching the prices of the units drop over the last couple of years. That kind of helps me say, "It's better to have it and not need it , than to need it and not have it."

#13 Spirit of 76

Spirit of 76

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 10:14 AM

Dude I'm always lost!!Yes, I do believe it's a 406mhz. Not sure though, I know that I got rid of my older unit since NOAA and the Coast Guard were phasing them out. I registered it with NOAA and did a test on the unit. They called in literally seconds. Pretty cool.

Wow! That is cool! Sound like you do have the new personal 406mhz unit. If I were going out backcountry, I'd take it with me.

#14 Spirit of 76

Spirit of 76

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 12:30 PM

Being lost doesn't qualify as an emergency?

I think you would also have to be out of food & water for a little while also. Unless you want to pay a big SAR bill for faking it.

#15 Indybronco

Indybronco

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, rebuilding old Ford Broncos, civil war history

Posted 07 May 2007 - 01:33 AM

Not many of us here in the Big Desert have them but my entire team here in Baghdad has been issued PLBs. I hope we never have to use them.

#16 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 07 May 2007 - 07:58 AM

Hey Indybronco, welcome to the board. Great to have you aboard. Hope we can give you some encouragement and support for the great job you are doing over there and give you place to sit back and relax. Hopefully, you will be able to get some good vibes going reading the stories of hunts on here. Feel free to join in an add as much as you like to any of the threads. Hell, start a few. It is great to have one of you guys from over there join us. Tell us a little bit about yourself. Where are you from, what do you like to hunt, etc. Again, welcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users