32 replies to this topic

#1 tW!tcH

tW!tcH

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 04:23 PM

I always have a heck of a time getting my head down when I wear muffs. What do you all wear, as some rifles I need to wear them with?

#2 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 29 April 2007 - 04:45 PM

I swiched to ear plugs for that very reason.

#3 tW!tcH

tW!tcH

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 06:15 PM

I usually shoot with the ear plugs and it works great on the .17 and .222, but on my brothers 22-250 with a muzzle break and my 300 win mag it is far too loud. I think that I probably need to learn to shoot with them better. So many people use them, it must just me.

#4 SteveB

SteveB

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 09:09 PM

Good question, I have the same problem. I'm not quite ready to spend the bucks for electronic ear plugs, there must be another solution.

#5 keale73

keale73

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 09:13 PM

Try the rubber plugs with the orange shock cord attaching them. They seem to fit snugger and are easier to put in and take out than the foamies.

#6 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:24 AM

I saw this conversation going a different way when I read the title. :roflmao3[1]: I sure the either the electronic full size muffs or the New Surefire ear plugs, these babies are the best I have used.

#7 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:35 AM

I have the same problem as well. I will usually slip the one side up slighty almost to where it's a little uncomfortable. Then I can get my cheek down enough.

#8 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:47 AM

I have a pair of pro-ears stalker plus. They are cut so they don't interfere with a shouldered rifle/shotgun. These muffs are the electronic ones with the leather muffs, a little pricey but they are well worth it for me. I've worn them out quail hunting and can hear birds flushing behind me. I plan on using them a lot this coming fall.

#9 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:49 AM

The electronic muffs are my next purchase! They are outstanding!

#10 airman

airman

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 08:16 AM

only juse "muffs" during target practice. When out hunting it's open ears,except if i'm shooting alot of rounds through a high power rifle. I'm kind of deaf from being on tanks so it don't bother me much.

#11 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 30 April 2007 - 08:31 AM

One thing I do to help the situation is to turn the offending side 90 degrees and wear it that way. Wrinkles the ear a little but, it gives more clearance for the stock while providing good hearing protection.

#12 squirrelduster

squirrelduster

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 07:32 PM

I have a pair of custom plugs made when I shot trap and they work great on all the small artillary but not on the big stuff.The muzzle blast from the 300 class and the muzzle break units make it deafening after a few shots and these plugs are as good as plugs can be. The big issue is that the sound goes throught the soft tissue around the ear and that is why the ear muffs are critical for range time or any time you use the big guns. When blowing up squirrels with the loud stuff or at the range I always wear foam plugs and muffs. Any of the quality low profile muffs will help you keep your hearing. I use the Remington muffs with sound amplifiers. Not the best quality units but they work for me.For the tank guy pack a pair of foam plugs when hunting and put them in before you shoot. You damage your hearing with each unprotected shot. Pretty soon all you can say is "what?".Be careful all.

#13 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 09:00 PM

I don't have that problem. Either your head is too small, or mine is too big.

#14 tW!tcH

tW!tcH

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 05:54 PM

Actually I have an extra large head. The only problem is that it is only half full of brains.

#15 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,664 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 02 May 2007 - 06:44 PM

:flag: :)

#16 Flaccid Barrel

Flaccid Barrel

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 08:15 PM

I use a pair of pro ears predator plus ear muffs. Absolutely love them for the price ~$200. Really comfy, good sound. Tapered lower half helps decrease the obstruction while shooting. Only downside is forgetting to turn them off during storage and draining the batteries. Frustrating to get out in the field and find that they are dead. Might as well have the foam plugs in and hunt in muffled silence. You quickly learn to take the batteries out when not in use.Bottom line, one of the better equipment purchases that has improved the quality and enjoyment of my hunt outings.

#17 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 09:18 AM

I moved this topic to the Equipment section. Has anyone found some slim muffs that don't interfere while shooting a rifle? Those E.A.R, Walker's Game Ear and other similar products look pretty slick but I don't know which ones work and which ones do not.

#18 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 09:37 AM

Has anyone found some slim muffs that don't interfere while shooting a rifle?

Read post #8.

#19 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 09:41 AM

Thanks. I saw that and should have asked if there were any other models out there besides those pro ears.

#20 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,664 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 09:56 AM

These work well and are low profile for some of us FAT HEADS! http://www.sportsman...cb.asp?a=282606I have some low profile Peltors very similar that I like to use with a shotgun.

#21 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 02:39 PM

Thanks!

#22 sangerpb

sangerpb

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, ATV, Computer Games

Posted 15 May 2007 - 02:15 PM

sorry to hear about your ear muff problems, I love my ear muffs.

#23 tW!tcH

tW!tcH

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 08:27 PM

I ended up getting some pelton tactical electrica ones. I still haven't tried them shooting, but they worked great doing some demolition on the house. They were 70 bucks at Cabela's.

#24 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 08:23 PM

How many decibels does the Peltor reduce?

#25 tW!tcH

tW!tcH

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 01:06 PM

It reduces it by 20. I haven't gotten to shoot with them yet, so I'll let you know how they work.

#26 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 01:12 PM

Thanks.

#27 Menace

Menace

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 02:54 PM

Have you tried the custom fit plugs you can buy that you can mold to your ear. I had a pair until I lost them and they handled everything up to 300 pretty well. I use just a generic pair of plugs right now. Do you open your jaw when you put them it and then close when all the way in... (keep it clean :D and this is worse... wet the plugs before you insert them into your ear... I find I get a better fit and they don't fall out. Sure it feels like a wet willy, but it does work.John

#28 SteveB

SteveB

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 04:50 PM

I was fitted for a pair of those custom ear plugs at the gun show yesterday, should get them in the mail this week. If they reduce noise by 27 to 30 dB like they claim, I think they will be worth the $40 I spent. The lady selling and making these said with proper care and once a week use, her customers are getting 5 years of use out of them. She makes them in the color of your choice, I chose camo. She plans to be at the Costa Mesa show next month.She said I had a "curvey" ear canal and was probably the reason the disposable type of plugs didn't work well for me.Will post how they perform after I've had a chance to use them.

#29 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,664 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 05:20 PM

I use the custom fit ones for shotgun shooting like trap and skeet. They do work very well.

#30 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 03:34 PM

I have a pair of pro-ears stalker plus.

I took the plunge and ordered a set. They just came in the mail today. I am actually sitting here wearing them while typing trying to get them adjusted so they don't give me a headache while wearing them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users