• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 26 April 2007 - 04:31 PM

I'm going to shoot in my first high power match in a couple weeks. I'll be shooting in the military bolt action/sporter class with my sporterized 1903 springfield. I'm going to shoot my first match with the hunting load that I have already worked up for this rifle but those Hornady Interbonds are a little spendy for papper punching. For some reason it didn't like nosler ballistic tips, but then again it might not have liked the powder. Does anybody have a favorite 30-06 target bullet/powder combo that I should try. So far it seems to like IMR-4350 but not 4064.

#2 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 26 April 2007 - 05:51 PM

My '03 likes Winchester 147 gr. FMJ boat tails with H4895. I use Winchester brass with Federal primers.

#3 204destroyer

204destroyer

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 06:32 PM

I would sure try the old H4831 its a slow burning powder but I have shot several hundred loads with very tight groups when I matched it with 150 grain sierra bullets. The grains per load I cant remember but the powder worked great with that bullet.GOOD LUCK :signlol2iu:

#4 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 26 April 2007 - 09:12 PM

CD,Used to use the Sierra 168 MK or the 165 BTHP with 4831.

#5 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 28 April 2007 - 12:14 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. It sounds like IMR-4831 seems to be a pretty popular powder with you all so I'll give it a try. I burn H-4895 in my 223 already so I have a can or two of that in the powder locker. I think I'll get some sierra 165s or 168s and try them with a couple different powders and see what she likes. With any luck I may be able to come up with a target load that shoots to the same point of impact as my hunting load. Thanks again fellas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users