11 replies to this topic

#1 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 12:15 PM

I have a Gambo Varmint hunter in .177 it shoots around the 1000 fps mark.. I'm having a very hard time getting consistency on paper @ 20 yards. Trying to get it dialed in so I can shoot the BIG Fruit Rats I have in the back yard. Anyone have any knowledge on these weapons or ammo?

#2 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 12:19 PM

I went through all this a while back and everyone had me talked into the JSB Exact pellets. I've had them on backorder for over 12 weeks and I just called them and cancelled my order last week.I'm going to Big5 and getting either the Beeman Silver Ace or Silver Arrow.
Sheldon

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,161 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 25 April 2007 - 02:03 PM

You really need to try different pellets in every gun. I have probably 25 or more varieties just in .177 cal alone. But as fiveflat said I recommended the JSB's because I have found them to be the most accurate and deadly in my different guns. They fly true and hit very hard. There are several places to get them on the Internet but I believe Pomona Air is the closest and always has them in stock. I buy mine from a Place in Canada and order 5 to 10 thousand at a time. It's adicting and i something shoot for an hour or more in my 25 yard indoor range into a silent pellet trap.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 02:54 PM

CG, Lately I have been using the Gamo Rocket ammo in .177. Worked great on a nice fat squeak. Been getting about a 1/2" group at 25 yards with an RWS that shoots at 1000fps. Fairly cheap from pyramid air as well. It is a hybrid pellet that has a small copper BB held in the nose of a hollow point pellet. Good penetration and expansion (designed for hunting) with almost no ricochet.Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1
Fellow Team Savage member and Team Ruger! Semper Fidelis!
NRA Certified Instructor / Multi-state CCW Instructor

#5 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 25 April 2007 - 04:40 PM

I've heard good things about the Gamo PBA pellets. You can suposedly get a 200 fps gain with them. I always had the best luck with Beeman match pellets.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#6 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 05:19 PM

I have some of the PBA pellets, and they are worthless for hunting. They are lighter (which is how you get a better speed) but they don't penetrate worth a damn! Looks pretty on a crono and paper but no good for hunting except for maybe a starling or something else very small.Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1

#7 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 25 April 2007 - 07:20 PM

I have a Gamo as well, but mine is in 22 caliber. Shoot at least a box through the thing before acually testing different brands of pellets. Shoot the cheap stuff first. You might find they work well after the barrel breaks in. I shoot the 22 cal Gamo magnums. My groups are not as tight as SJ, but I get 1/2" at 20 yards. Some of that is probably just me. I can tell you one thing. . .none of the rats have complained yet. :roflmao3[1]: dbPS If you haven't shot a springer air rifle before, be sure to hold the rifle steady after the shot. Some people will look for the impact as soon as they feel the recoil. Don't. Keep steady for a half second after you pull the trigger. db
TALK STRAIGHT, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND KEEP THE MAGAZINE LOADED.ORANGEVALE,CA

#8 Stan

Stan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 08:31 PM

CG Beeman is in Huntington Beach maybe they will have some different pellets dodnt forget the cleaner felt shots to clean the gun made by them as well I use in my Sherdian 25 cal rifle :roflmao3[1]:

#9 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 06:55 AM

Okay, I just bought about 6 different kinds of match pellets and hunting pellets.. I'm hoping one of these bad boys is the right one for my shooter.. Will a .177 take down a squirrel or a rabbit? If so what is the max yardage you would try? Thank you everyone for all you'll help! Dman and Stan : You guys should come over for beers and rats one night! Bring your bows, I have a archery range in the back yard. Stan: I will be @ my house at the beach tonight if your heading to Daves. I can meet you.

#10 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 07:38 AM

It would probably take down a squirrel - maybe a Jackrabbit with very good shot placement. But I wouldn't try much over 25 yards.
Sheldon

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,161 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 26 April 2007 - 08:08 AM

I've shot squirrels and cottontails to 50 yards and killed them with easily with a reasonably high powered Beeman springer .177. Jack rabbits are tough but I would think a well placed shot would take them at 25 yards. I've also killed skunks, possums and raccoons out to more than 25 yards. But you have to make a head shot to drop them. :roflmao3[1]:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#12 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 03:13 PM

Squirrels at 25 yards is possible, as I just did a couple of weeks ago!Darren

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users