22 replies to this topic

#1 Craig J

Craig J

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 07:28 AM

The place I hunt, I have to park my truck and hike in. I have learned to bring a pack because it could be hours before I get back to my truck. What do you bring with you when you go hunting?CAMAL PACTARPPRUNING SHEARSBINOSLASER RANGE FINDER50' 550 CORDSWISS ARMY KNIFELEATHERMAN MULTI TOOLIODINE TABLETSFLINT AND STEEL (LIGHTER)GPSCOMPASSFLASH LIGHTTOILET PAPER IN A PLASTIC BAGPOWER BARSBUG JUICELARGE PLASTIC BAGDFG REGSFOX PRO (EXTRA BATTERIES)

#2 savageHMR

savageHMR

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:target shooting, varmint hunting, boating, fishing, horses..

Posted 20 April 2007 - 08:42 AM

In addition to all that you listed, I also bring sunscreen ( those little disposable packs ), a snake bite kit, an orange hunters vest ( the kind that roll up ) and water ( at least two bottles ).

#3 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 08:47 AM

If you bring everything you're "supposed" to bring, you're going to need a big pack and it will be heavy. Just the basics for a few hours of hiking and predator hunting is a lot of stuff. I hate packing all that stuff, but it's better to be safe than sorry I guess. Here's what's in my day pack:Water bottlePower Bar or snackLighterSwiss Army knifeRopeBand aidsCell phoneZiplock bag with license, permission slips, regs, maps, pen, etcTP or paper towelsSpare ammo (lots)BinosRangefinderFox Pro and batteriesHand callsBasically, if it's a short day trip I plan on being able to spend the night if necessary and survive. For longer trips, the list gets a lot bigger.

#4 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 20 April 2007 - 03:11 PM

2 sharp knivesdiamond stoneTPinsect repelantextra lighter extra pair of sockschap stick (doubles as sunscreen but doesn't take up as much space)rain suit (the cheap kind that fold down into a teeny tiny bag)asprin, allergy relief tabs & eye drops super glue (instead of band aids or a needle and thread)2 bottles of waterpair of glovestags, licence, walletbinocs, range finder10 rds extra ammoextra pack o' smokes1 bud light (you gotta have a beer after you slam a buck,hog, or coyote!)

#5 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 20 April 2007 - 03:45 PM

For deer/pig hunting I use a CamelBack hydration pack containing;Two knivesSharpening stickTags/license/penSmall flashlight/xtra batteriesBug sprayLighterSpace blanketSmall mirrorWhistleFirst aid kit/snake bite kitMouth callsFace net and glovesXtra ammo-10 rds.Toilet paperParachute cordLatex glovesDrag rope2 ragsXtra shirt or pancho Granola bars or apple2 way radioBinosRange finderCameraBoonie hat/beanieTrail marking tapeXtra truck keysThen I hike about a quarter mile, find a shade tree and take a nice little nap!! That pack makes a real nice pillow!!

#6 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 05:34 PM

Stuff for the Pack.WaterFoxproMouth callsKnifeFlashlightOrange VestGlovesFacemaskShooting SticksDecoyBatteries for the decoy/foxpro/cameraCell PhoneLicenceWallet1st Aid KitExtra RoundsCameraLazer RangefinderBinoloculars

#7 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 21 April 2007 - 12:07 PM

I carry my foxpro in its own padded bag, along with extra batteries, in My call bag I carry- plenty of ammo, binoculars, camara, a rather large assortment of hand calls, sun screen, rubber gloves, scalple and extra blades, soft measuring tape, zip lock bags, toilet paper, munchies, orange, usually pack along a pepsi or two, extra swivels for my sling (case it breaks or some other retarded mishap), some camo head/face netting, small feather decoy, flashlight, And I also pack along my little cushion, tripod, and in my pockets I have a lighter, cell phone, knife, and usually a squeaker call... Sounds like alot but not too bad..

#8 Craig J

Craig J

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 02:49 PM

It is nice to see that most have the same things.

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,678 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 21 April 2007 - 05:18 PM

Yep all that stuff and then there's ammo and more ammo and don't forget more ammo. :smiley-funny-post-sign:
  • Grayfox likes this

#10 NVWalt

NVWalt

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fly fishing, kitebugging, photography, astronomy, hot springing, looking at as many beautiful women as possible.

Posted 22 April 2007 - 07:07 AM

When I go on my walk hunts and it is winter and I want to save the hides I carry a knife and rope to skin out the coyote and roll it up and put it in a bag. Matches and some rocket fuel ,I have some left so I use it for emergancy fire starter. Water The ever important Mountain Money Extra ammo Pipe and tobbacco Small pair of binoculars for just looking about and identifying birds Emergancy blanket If I have it, a bag of dried fruit for the munchiesThat really pretty much covers it for me. My walk hunts usually last for the most part of a day and the lighter I travel the better. I have been caught out after dark and on a couple of occasions have had to make a fire and reflector and spend a miserable night out. Do that one time without a space blanket and the next time it happens you will be glad you brought one along. They work ok along with a good BIG fire and make an otherwise miserable cold night bearable....Walt

#11 bryanhardie

bryanhardie

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 03:57 PM

I like to add a snake bite extraction kit. Just in case...

#12 pj1016

pj1016

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 08:48 AM

Why do some of you bring an orange vest?pj (Man, I hope that I didn't just set the record for the stupidest question ever on this forum)

#13 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 11:43 AM

Blaze orange isn't required in California (surprising considering all the other stupid laws on the books). But I carry it with me as well. If there are a lot of other hunters in the area, it makes sense as nothing is blaze orange in color in nature (plus it stands out for a reason). Animals are colorblind, so it isn't a big deal to have it along. When I hunt big game in Colorado blaze orange is required and I have one draped over my pack and one on myself. Plus, if you ever get lost, putting out blaze orange is a great way for SAR to be able to locate you.Darren

#14 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 24 April 2007 - 01:36 PM

Why do some of you bring an orange vest?pj (Man, I hope that I didn't just set the record for the stupidest question ever on this forum)

Mine is a baklava head neck thingy to stay warm.. Just happens to be orange.. When in Colorado and other states I wear it as Im usually hunting deer/elk same time.. so its required anyway.. Plus its real nice to mark where you shot from if you have to walk out into brush to retreive your kill. :signs1180lq: Least you can mark where you were and where to go back to.

#15 DEERSLAM

DEERSLAM

Hunting 365 days a year...in my mind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts
  • Interests:Family and hunting

Posted 24 April 2007 - 06:02 PM

The areas I hunt there usually isn't any need for hunter orange. Heck if there's another hunter in the field I'm not sure what's worse...being in full camo and they don't see you or having on the blaze orange and they take a look at you through their scope :rolleyes:

#16 tW!tcH

tW!tcH

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 07:23 PM

i carry H2OTPfirst aid kitcompassGPSBinosrangefindermatchesgranola barszip tiepenextra ammoepipen (just in case)tags and finallyspace blanket

#17 squirrelduster

squirrelduster

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 08:16 PM

Everyone has a great list but the one thing that is really important especially if hunting pigs, varmits or anything else that can wound you a real good military first aid kit is very important. Not a boo boo kit but a real first aid kit.

#18 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 02 May 2007 - 04:35 PM

Everyone has a great list but the one thing that is really important especially if hunting pigs, varmits or anything else that can wound you a real good military first aid kit is very important. Not a boo boo kit but a real first aid kit.

Thats what super glue is for! :flag:

#19 Spirit of 76

Spirit of 76

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Coyote and Bobcat hunting. Also interested in Upland Gamebird & Deer Hunting.

Posted 02 May 2007 - 08:28 PM

Thats what super glue is for! :)

:flag: That's right, I carry it too. But super glue ( Cyanoacrylate (CA)) works best for the light cuts. For the deeper & messier wounds :o I carry two suture kits in my modified first aid kit.

#20 Spirit of 76

Spirit of 76

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Coyote and Bobcat hunting. Also interested in Upland Gamebird & Deer Hunting.

Posted 02 May 2007 - 09:28 PM

Celox I'll be adding Celox to my pack very soon! Celox. Controls life-threatening bleeding fast.

#21 OutdoorAviator

OutdoorAviator

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 02:34 PM

I didn't notice anyone mention game bags (and only one mention to a gutting knife), rubber gloves, or any other skinning/gutting supplies.. Were we just compiling day pack contents? I usually make it a point to bring those goods, no matter what I'm hunting. Even on a short rabbit trip, can never be too careful :roflmao3[1]:

#22 savageHMR

savageHMR

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:target shooting, varmint hunting, boating, fishing, horses..

Posted 07 May 2007 - 03:54 PM

Yeah, I also carry rubber gloves and a wire loop ( looks kind of pear shaped ) small game carrier as well as a gutting/skinning knife.

#23 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 02:47 PM

I didn't notice anyone mention game bags (and only one mention to a gutting knife), rubber gloves, or any other skinning/gutting supplies........

The only skinning/gutting supplies I've ever needed were two sharp knives (or one knife and a good stone) and two bare hands. ;) A gallon or two of water makes clean-up alot easier but that stays in the truck with the game bag. I don't skin them until I'm back to camp so a game bag isn't something I carry, and water's to freakin heavy to lug around by the gallon. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users