14 replies to this topic

#1 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 01:03 PM

Hey all, I just bought me one of these and I'm wonder the point behind the black piece fitting into either side of the call.Is it the mouth piece? If so, why would I put it in the other end of the call?

#2 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 16 April 2007 - 01:24 PM

How about a picture or two of what you are talking about? I have never bought a Knight and Hale so can't comment.

#3 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 01:33 PM

Posted ImageThat black piece slips out and fits in either end of the call.

#4 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 16 April 2007 - 03:04 PM

Yep, the black piece is the mouth piece. The reason it fits in either end is that the hole is drilled all the way through for ease of manufacturing. But it should go in the end where the groove is. That groove is for the lanyard and it is better if it is near the mouth piece than at the other end. The call will probably sound the same whichever end you put the mouth piece in. Be careful of the mouth piece. If it is not a real snug fit, you can loose it when tramping around, and then the call is useless. That's why I like to either glue my in or use O-rings to prevent the mouth piece from slipping out. Hope this helps.In edit mode, I wanted to comment, that if you take the mouth piece out, you can use it by itself. It won't have the volume, but sometimes that is a good thing. Give it a try. You can look into the mouth piece and probably see the reed. It will be a small metal thing with a small metal reed.

#5 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 05:14 PM

Actually, the end it is in as pictured, you'd have to suck to make noise. The reeds (there are three of them in the triple dawg) are actually in the camo portion. The black piece is hollow. :smiley-sorry:

#6 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:22 PM

Well, it seems to me that you would want it in the end where it would work when you blow. Hell, I don't know, it sure seems strange to me. Not at all like any of the ones I make.

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,678 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:29 PM

It's like a duck call. You have it set up right in the picture and you blow it from the camo end. :smiley-sorry:

#8 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 07:10 PM

:smiley-sorry:

Hey, don't laugh at me! I thought this was a "non-condescending" zone! :harhar1[1]:

#9 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 16 April 2007 - 07:11 PM

John & Braz, you're killing me... LOLSheldon, I have never seen or heard of such a thing... You should NOT have to "suck" on the call in other words. I have several Knight & Hale's, but not that particular one. Also, Braz makes a good point (besides putting the mouth piece to where it will work / LOL) about using just the mouth piece to call with. Actually, you can do that with lots of calls, including howlers. hmmmmm, maybe they put the reeds in upside down on yours? Naw! Ya Think?Frank :smiley-sorry:

#10 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 07:13 PM

I'm really feeling a whole lot like my avatar looks right about now...

#11 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 07:19 PM

What is this call suppose to be? A jack, cottontail, or what?

#12 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 16 April 2007 - 07:24 PM

Too Funny.... but a cool looking avatar btwhmmmm, Braz, at this point, would it matter? LOL (sorry, couldn't help myself)

#13 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 07:36 PM

What is this call suppose to be? A jack, cottontail, or what?

You know - I really don't know. I thought it was going to be like the Circe where you turn it and get three different sounds. Instead it's 3 reeds simultaneously.http://www.knightand...aspx?find=KH944.

#14 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 05:48 PM

Here's what I've found out so far. If blow on the camo end as in the picture above it makes one (triple reed) sound. If I move that black piece to the other end of the camo part and blow on the black piece, it makes a different pitch. Also if I remove the black piece all together, it's yet another entirely different pitch again. Maybe that's the point, different pitch?I don't know, but I did get the hang of this thing and I can make it go "OOOH-WAHH" :roflmao3[1]: Whether it calls any coyotes in or not is an entirely different story. HAHA

#15 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 06:50 PM

Y I K E S, now I'm completely confused... LOLWell, just remember the real key to successful predator hunting is "perseverance" / never giving up, & it will come. Coyotes will come into the most gawd awful (distress rabbit) sounds, so won't need to worry how good it sounds. However, it does help if you've ever heard a real rabbit scream... either it being "wounded" when shot, OR just picking up a pet rabbit by the back leg. Careful on the last one, as it will scare the living h_ _ L out of you & piss off the owner if they see / hear you do it. But you will see first hand how they really sound & then can mimic that the best you can. Basically a terror stricken, grabbed by the throat in complete horror sound. No casual, cool, mono tone stuff. Keep us posted on your attempts / resultsFrank

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users