• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Rustyrimfire

Rustyrimfire

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Being a dad<br />Fishing<br />Keeping unwanteds out of my chicken coop

Posted 14 April 2007 - 06:59 AM

My wife, 2 year old, and I will be moving on to some property with a known rattler problem. Since I know my wife would kill anything that might threaten her baby, I'd prefer she do it from long range when it comes to rattlers. What type of gun would you use to do the job? She's 5 ft 1 and thin, so recoil is an issue, I think. If you could give me specific rifles I'd really appreciate it.Thanks,Rusty

#2 Craig J

Craig J

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 07:05 AM

A little 410 shotgun should do the trick. A shovel works wonders too. Despite popular myths, they don't chase after you if your first swing does not contact. On the plus side, you will have a bunch of rattles for the baby. :harhar1[1]:

#3 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 08:37 AM

We use a Ruger Single Six in .22lr with Snake shot does wonders. Or subsonic .22lr ammo with a Ruger 10/22 will work great out to 50 yards. Low noise, no recoil, and little danger to anyone else. My 10/22 loves the Remington 38 grain subsonic ammo.Darren

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,678 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 14 April 2007 - 09:13 AM

A shotgun would be my choice.

#5 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 14 April 2007 - 10:16 AM

410 or 20 guage shotgun. Imp Cyl for the 20 and what we used to call low-base ammo. add a good recoil pad for the 20 and it should work.

#6 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 15 April 2007 - 04:21 PM

Yep, a 410 or 20 guage shotgun... OR a revolver with snake shot. At least they will "hit" the snake (hopefully) Frank

#7 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 05:13 PM

I like the 410 idea myself

#8 tW!tcH

tW!tcH

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 06:51 PM

Single shot 410. Great for gophers and snakes. IMHO.

#9 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 16 April 2007 - 10:15 AM

410 is a great choice. I like one of those over under Savages with the 22Mag on top and the 410 on the bottom because they are easy to use. I have killed plenty with 22lr, 44mag shot shells, shovels, etc. Even threw a big rock on the head of one and then used my knife to cut the head off. If you don't have them some good outside dogs roaming the yard are also very good at keeping them out of the yard. Make sure you discourage them from coming around by keeping their food sources in check. Large populations of squirrels and mice mean more chances to run into rattlesnakes. I remember back in the good old days of 1080 we didn't see rattlesnakes hardly every. Maybe one every ten or fifteen years. Now we see probably at least one a month from spring to fall when it cools off.

#10 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 10:31 AM

+1 vote for .410

#11 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 16 April 2007 - 10:51 AM

I like the .410 idea as well, but she'll have to be careful of shooting snakes that are on or near rocks. Who knows which direction the BB's will bounce off and travel. Also not sure how close your neighbors will be & if they will be pissed about the shooting. Here's another option:http://www.cabelas.c...e...2&noImage=0Where in Central Oregon are you anyways?

#12 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 03:36 PM

Another thumbs up on the 410. A NEF Pardner or the 22/410 Versa-Pack combo would be a cheap solution.http://www.hr1871.co...rdnerYouth.aspxhttp://www.hr1871.co.../versaPack.aspx

#13 Full Clip

Full Clip

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 09:38 PM

How about a .410 Thunder Five?Posted ImageOh, right, we can't have one... :roflmao3[1]:

#14 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 06:36 AM

.410 works great got my son one over and under 22LR/.410 nice little squirrel gun too.

#15 sangerpb

sangerpb

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, ATV, Computer Games

Posted 20 April 2007 - 07:33 AM

.410 22lr and 22 might ricochet, my stupid neighbor was trying to kill cottontails with his 22 piston and nearly shot me with a ricochet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users