• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Rustyrimfire

Rustyrimfire

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Being a dad<br />Fishing<br />Keeping unwanteds out of my chicken coop

Posted 11 April 2007 - 08:38 PM

After reading quite a bit about the 17 hmr on the net (primarily Shooter John and this forum) I happened to walk in to the local GI Joes (now just called Joes) and lo and behold there was a Savage 93R17BTVSS on sale. Now my wife may not understand shooting varmints, but she does understand sales, so I bought it and had the guy put a 4.5-14 scope on it. He used a bore sight on it, and from reading here I doubt I going to get the tight groups I'm dreaming of. So the question is, please walk me through the steps you do the first time you take a new rifle/scope pairing to the range. Thanks for the help. I really enjoy reading the forums. :signs1180lq: Rusty

#2 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 11 April 2007 - 08:52 PM

I would start by shooting it a 100yards at a paper target. Shoot several rounds, then adjust the scope. Shoot several more rounds and adjust the scope. At this point, you should be sighted in, or at least pretty close. Then shoot and enjoy.

#3 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 11 April 2007 - 09:04 PM

I have had scopes that wouldn't even paper at 100 yards for the first shots. I usually set the target at 25 to 50 yards and take a couple of shots. Then make some adjustments to get it close. Then I move it out to 100 and shoot targets. It saves on bullets, too.db

#4 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 11 April 2007 - 09:08 PM

Good point.

#5 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 09:16 PM

First off, I would NEVER trust the mounting and bore sighting job that the store did. Next time don't bother, especially if they charge you to do it. I wasn't there but I'd bet a dollar he didn't degrease the screws and screw holes or use lock tite, which means it COULD come loose at the worst moment at some point in the future. I bet the scope is canted a bit and I'll bet another $1 you're not going to be within 6 inches of the bulleseye at 100 yards. Break it all down, clean everything up, mount it correctly at home. That means set the correct eye relief for you etc. Pull the bolt out of the action and lay the rifle on a rest pointed at something far away. A distant lamp post works great at night, or something similar 200-300 yards away. Line up the bore so you can see the target thru the bore. Without moving the bore, look thru the scope. Are the crosshairs on target? Probably not. First adjust for cant, make sure the crosshairs are straight and tighten everything down. Align the bore with that distant target again. Look thru the scope. Ajust the recticle until they're on the same target you see thru your bore. Check it several times. Make sure it's perfect.Now go shoot at 100 yards. You should be able to hit a sheet of 8.5x11 paper target easily on the first shot. I usually am only off a few inches at most using this method, it's quite accurate. Way better than any laser system I've ever seen. Adjust your scope until you're dead on. You should have confidence in a solid zero within a few shots if it's not windy. If it's windy, your shots may drift around a little with the 17HMR. Make sure the elevation is correct at 100 yards. Then move to 50 yards and shoot to make sure your windage is on since the wind won't affect the 17HMR as bad at closer ranges. That should do you good. You can make little adjustments later as necessary.

#6 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 09:35 PM

Yup, I eye bore site also. Only about 25 yards is all you need to do it manually by eye.I took my new .223 out to the range with a friend and he thought I was crazy for going straight to 100 yards instead of 50!I was about 2" from my target on my first shot!

#7 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,820 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 12 April 2007 - 09:04 AM

They covered the basics well above, but with any new gun run a solvent soaked patch through the bore to get any remaining grease/ preservative out and then wipe it dry.

#8 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 09:55 AM

I think cleaning and inspecting a new gun goes without being said, but it's a good reminder. Sorta like checking the oil and tires before you take off on a road trip. Always clean your new gun before you shoot it. You'll remove leftover manufacturing crud and familiarize yourself with the thing.

#9 jephs422

jephs422

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 10:09 AM

I'm another fan of bore sighting by eye. I've used a million different boresighters, and none of them get me as close and simply boresighting it by eye. After I do that, I shoot a steel target at 100 yards to see if I am close. If I'm not, I can usually see the dustcloud and see where I need to move it. If I'm on, then at least I'm not searching for a bullet hole.

#10 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 10:36 AM

But, how do you bore sight a semi-auto by eye?! :good:

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,683 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 12 April 2007 - 01:36 PM

I break open the action on my AR and look down the barrel of course. :ninja: :good:

#12 pj1016

pj1016

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 07:01 AM

Naw, everyone knows that you don't boresight an AR.Ya just spray and pray!pj

#13 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 07:56 AM

I break open the action on my AR and look down the barrel of course. :ninja: :harhar1[1]:

:ninja: That's what I was going to do. mount the scope before I drop the upper onto the lower. :D

#14 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 07:57 AM

Ya just spray and pray!

:ninja:

#15 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 08:45 AM

As this thread has good info in it (including how to bore sight an AR15), :harhar1[1]: could we have it pinned possibly?Darren

#16 Rustyrimfire

Rustyrimfire

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Being a dad<br />Fishing<br />Keeping unwanteds out of my chicken coop

Posted 21 April 2007 - 07:38 PM

Just wanted to thank Stiff neck for the eye bore sighting tips. At first I thought that SN was just telling the new guy a tall tale, as I could barely tell what color was at the end of that very narrow barrel, let alone tell what it was pointing at. But then I tried the aiming at a street light trick, and it worked GREAT. My first shot was only about 1 inch off bullseye at 75 yards. Of course my neighbor across the street was a little disturbed to see me sitting in my garage, in the dark, at 10:00pm, aiming a rifle over his way, but hey it's the only streetlight in the neighborhood. :smiley-funny-post-sign: Rusty

#17 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,683 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 09:36 AM

I think I know where that street light trick came from. :rolleyes: :signs1180lq:http://www.californi...d...post&p=8523

#18 Rustyrimfire

Rustyrimfire

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 01:42 PM

I think I know where that street light trick came from. :rolleyes: :signs1180lq:

Well, a special thanks to you as well Shooter, see, people remember your tips even a year later. I like the golfball on a fence idea too. Here in Oregon everything right now is just GREEN which isn't bad unless you're trying to sight your new rifle.Rusty

#19 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,683 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 02:07 PM

I used to have five gallon buckets full of golf balls I collected from a friends property when a golf course closed down. He bought the property to build homes on. We drained the ponds and found thousands of golf balls in the mud. I built an air cannon to shoot the golf balls. That thing easily shot those balls up to a 1000 feet. Needless to say I had a few left over when I dismantled the cannon and found they are fun targets to shoot at too as well as a great aiming device. :signs1180lq:

#20 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 22 April 2007 - 03:27 PM

SJ You must have been shooting those golf balls up real close like 50 yds. or so? I know they'd be safe if it was any further. :roflmao3[1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users