• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Truckeedan

Truckeedan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing whenever my wife will let me!

Posted 10 April 2007 - 04:00 PM

I fished out of Santa Cruz on Saturday and Sunday. We caught 1 fish, about 10lbs, on Saturday and nothing on Sunday. Most boats didn't do as good as we did. Did anyone have any better luck?I'll wait now until I hear there is a good run in the bay.Truckeedan
Mountain coyotes have more fur.

#2 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 11 April 2007 - 07:41 AM

My dad went out off of Moss Landing. None of the boats got anything that he could see. He said the conditions were right plenty of bait in the water but no fish. I was dissapointed because he usually gives me a couple Salmon steaks!Jason

#3 jephs422

jephs422

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 08:29 AM

I fished Cruz on the opener. We skipped fishing for Salmon cause we had a few other reports of tails and WSB in the area. We hit Smugglers, Yellow banks, etc. The fishing was super slow. We metered tons of fin bait and squid both, but nothing was chewing. We metered a lot of WSB also under the bait balls, but the front that came caused everything to be real slow. Nothing more than a few rock fish and calico's were put on the boat at the Gap. I talked to 2 different DFG officers at the dock and they said that nothing was put on the whole weekend. I also spoke with a few sport boat captains that I know on the radio and they confirmed the reports of the slow fishing. Glad to see someone put a Salmon on the boat. Where did you launch out of? Oh, and even the counts at Moss Landing were slow. From the info I got, only 12 had been put on the board all day.....Pretty pitiful.
Jeph S"Team .223/6x47"

#4 Truckeedan

Truckeedan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 02:02 PM

jeph442We keep the boat at my father-in-law's in Santa Cruz and put in at the harbor. My son called me yesterday to say he was going again this morning and on Saturday. He says some guys in his club (Coastside) have been scoring down off of Monterey on the Carmel side at 36.34 / 22.00. The fish in this school are running over 20 lbs. Feel free to use the numbers and if you're out on the bay tomorrow, give Jay on the "Pickle Barrel" a call. Tell him I told you where to fish and he will let you know (by cell phone) what's happening and where. If there are fish being caught, he will be where the action is if he feels it's safe to go that far depending on weather and conditions. We caught our fish last Saturday over the rabbit ears at Soquel Hole at 6:45 am. Had another takedown at 7:00 am in the same place but it was a no show. Sunday we saw lots of bait a little closer in on the 190 to 200 line but no fish except for a 2 foot Hake. We trolled the bait to pieces and then mooched but it just wasn't happening. A few guys caught a few fish at the Slide and at Pajaro and down off of Pt Lobos on Saturday but I didn't hear of anybody doing anything Sunday. I was going to stay down and fish Monday but didn't because it was so crappy.Halibut will be in sometime next month. Suppose to be good this year.Posted ImageGood luck if you go.Here is a photo of what to look for.Truckeedan

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,151 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 13 April 2007 - 04:30 PM

Yeah a couple of my buddies were down there the other day and caught a few fish.

Attached Files

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#6 Truckeedan

Truckeedan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 07:51 AM

Talked with my son last night. He fished last Sunday and caught a 22 pounder. He and a friend fished yesterday off of Point Pinos. They boated four fish weighing 30, 25, 20, & 17 lbs. Everybody around them limited. He says the fish have moved up about 3 miles since last weekend. The big fish were caught on watermelon apex behind a watermelon flasher 90 feet down in about 330 feet. The weather was good with about 10 to 12 foot swell but no wind. No sea lions yet as the killer whales in the bay have them scared to venture out of the harbors. He is e-mailing photos today and I will add one to this post when they come in.The weather is supposed to be crappy for a while but get progressively better during the week. By next weekend this school of fish should be up in the bay somewhere.Dan

#7 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 20 April 2007 - 05:29 PM

Yep I got a similar report from the same area, WM apex and also a green/white hoochie following a Hot shot flasher at from 100-150' in 300' of water between cyprus and pinos. 30# biggest and all the rest in the 20's.
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#8 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 10:28 AM

way to go to your son! Always wanted to try some ocean salmon fishing...used to fish below Oroville damn when I was younger...always got great fish there.
Mac Daddy"Lock, Stock and Two Smokin' Barrels"

#9 Truckeedan

Truckeedan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 04:05 PM

Thanks MacHe called again from the boat this morning at 8:30. They had three on board that were all over 20 lbs. Most of the fleet was fishing on the Monterey side of Soquel Hole and doing nothing. Apparently the fish have moved across the hole to the Santa Cruz side. Jay said that my other son Mark had just lost one that broke him off with 30 lb test line.Posted Image

#10 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 01:25 PM

Nice pictures...can almost see and smell those salmon fillets cooking on a cedar plank...
Mac Daddy"Lock, Stock and Two Smokin' Barrels"

#11 peeker seeker

peeker seeker

25-06 shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts
  • Interests:Grand kids, My dogs, My girls the rabbits and hens Hunting & fishing

Posted 03 May 2007 - 10:28 PM

Oh man I have not got to go out in in 5 years . anybody needs a buddy some sunday?. Nice pics and fish.
Reach out to are fury friends . Use a 25-06 If runs swims or flies ,IT CAN BE DEEP FRIED OR MADE INTO A PIE mmm mmmm ANIMALS IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER. Beeman air...25-06, 223, 7mm- 08 ,7mm Rem mag .Beaman 8 cats 0. Keeper of 2 Border Collie Heelers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users