• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,833 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 05 December 2005 - 09:50 PM

Santa whanted to know what she was to get me ! My son wants to get me a rifle for Christmas but he's in irag right now so she had to go get it , She nows nothing about guns and does not want to know . So I have to :unsure: darn, getting a H&R ultra 204 wood stock. would rather have Him home but thats not going to happen for a while. :lol: He reinlisted and ask to go. and He's doing fine and likes what He's doing. been in about 7 years now. got off track so what about them are they good rifles? good caliber?

#2 coolvarmint

coolvarmint

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Killing Varmints

Posted 05 December 2005 - 10:10 PM

Hey Thumper, graybeardoutdoors.com has several forums regarding HR/NEF rifles. Seem like good deals, similar to TC re:barrel changing. Someone here owns them hopefully he will chime in.BTW which service is your son in? Scott

#3 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,833 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 05 December 2005 - 10:19 PM

BTW which service is your son in? Scott

He's in the Army inteligence. plays with computers I think.

#4 gunnut

gunnut

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 10:32 PM

Hey Tim I got a few new 222 mag brass you can have,if you want to form brass.

#5 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sports

Posted 06 December 2005 - 06:40 AM

Hey Thumper:First thank your son for me for his service.Second That should be a very good gun.I hopefully will pick up my Ultra .223 today :unsure: Ben has a .223 Ultra and it shoot's very well.A freind of mine got the .204 a few weeks ago but I havn't heard a range report yet.

#6 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 12:47 PM

I have a 223 Ultra that shoots very good 3-shot groups at 100 yards with inexpensive remanufactured ammo. When I do my part it easily shoots .6" groups from the bench. I get lots of groups in the .4's and .5's too. But it can be finicky on how you pull the trigger and where the action rests on the front rest etc. I had great success at Cedarville last year, so I guess it's good enough. I had the factory lighten the trigger, but it's still too heavy. Need to work on that. The trigger is the worst part, it's hard to be consistantly accurate when your trigger sucks. It's a good rifle, but I'm still saving up for a Savage for my real varmint rifle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users