41 replies to this topic

#31 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 07:15 PM

Well, since fixing the air filter that was hemorrhaging air the 'ol girl has been running like a top. She does need a new set of skins before I get into the heavy part of hunting season, though. How tall of a tire can I go on these stock wheels with out tearing up the inner fenders and rubbing on everything?

#32 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 18 August 2007 - 07:23 PM

If you don't flex the truck out alot & you crank your torsion bars a little you can get away with 285's. I'm running 265/75/16 BFG Mud Terrains on some wider wheels with cranked bars and I still rub every once in a while if the truck is flexing just right. Good to hear your air filter problems are solved!

#33 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 19 August 2007 - 06:39 AM

My '03 2500 isn't a diesel but I'm running 285s on it and I've never had them rub, even during chasis flex.

#34 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 19 August 2007 - 10:20 AM

My '03 2500 isn't a diesel but I'm running 285s on it and I've never had them rub, even during chasis flex.

Remember your bars are cranked and you have that badass front bumper that gives you more clearance. But then, you also are running 8" wide rims as opposed the stock ones which are 6.5" wide.SBF- Check out dieselplace.com. You 'll find TONS of Duramax information over there.

#35 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 19 August 2007 - 12:13 PM

Remember your bars are cranked and you have that badass front bumper that gives you more clearance. But then, you also are running 8" wide rims as opposed the stock ones which are 6.5" wide.SBF- Check out dieselplace.com. You 'll find TONS of Duramax information over there.

I forgot about the bumper. I don't know how the stock bumper would affect clearances because I never had one on my truck. I don't think the rims made any difference though because I ran the same size tires on those stock rims that went on your blaser. One thing that I think helped was that the original owner punched a couple tiny holes in the bottom edges of the inner fenderwells and used some small nylon cord to pull them away from the tire, then he tied them off to the bumper brackets. He made about two extra inches of clearance that way.

#36 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,676 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 19 August 2007 - 02:38 PM

I can run my truck on filtered cooking oil. I know you guys are jealous. :censored[1]:

#37 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 02:49 PM

Nope. The jealousy doesn't actually kick in until you ARE running it on cooking oil!

#38 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,676 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 02:59 PM

I have the oil but it's peanut oil 20 gallons. It was getting rancid so I got it for nothing. I'm going to start the truck on diesel and then switch the tanks. I have to make a couple hundred mile round trip this week so I think that will be the test. I've seen it done so I don't foresee any problems.

#39 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 09:38 PM

I saw them run an old mercedes diesel on old cooking oil on mythbusters. It worked.

#40 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,676 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 08:50 AM

I talked to a couple of students out at UC Davis in their alternative fuel classes. They said I shouldn't have any problems. I also spoke to a friend who runs several older diesel rigs and has done it. Has anyone ever run Jet-A in a diesel pickup? I was offered two 55 gallon drums of it that had some slight impurities in it. It was fuel for helicopters and was deemed unusable for them. But you can filter the little sediment or just not use to the bottom of the barrels. I hate to see it go to waste. :doh[1]:

#41 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 05:36 PM

Speaking of impurities... When I was 16 years old I got a summer job working in a fuel injection shop in Modesto. All of the old diesel pumps that came in usually had a slight amount of diesel in them. One of the mechanics had a late 70's Ford F250 that had a Perkins diesel engine swapped into it. He kept a 5 gallon bucket in the back of the shop with a shop rag stretched over the top of it. He would take the pumps and drain them through the rag and into the bucket. Every friday at lunch he would pour the contents of the bucket into his fuel tank and burn it. The old Perkins smoked ALOT but it kept on runnin'! :harhar1[1]:

#42 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,676 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 05:56 PM

I ended up getting the Jet-A but not two 55 gallon drums I got 550 gallons. It burns great and it cleaner burning than my regular diesel. So we'll see how long she runs. It actually seems to run better but i just got the engine re-timed too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users