• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 05 April 2007 - 07:32 AM

Meade Instruments now owns the Weaver, Redfield and Simmons riflescopes. This is my experience dealing with their customer service.When I got home from a hunting trip in October of 2006 I noticed that the rubber eye ring on my Weaver V24 Classic riflescope was missing. I looked up “Weaver riflescopes” on the internet and they have a 1-800 number listed for Meade Instruments Customer Service. I called the number and got an answering machine where it asks you to leave a message with your contact information and they would return the call.I waited a month but received no call-back so in the first week of November I called the Meade Instruments Customer Service 1-800 number and got the same answering machine. So, I left a message that I needed to buy a replacement rubber eye ring for the Weaver V24 scope and left my cell phone number again.Christmas came and went and in the first week of January I called the Meade Instruments Customer Service number again, going through the same routine, explaining to the answering machine what I needed, left my contact information again and waited for a call back. Then on February 1st, I skipped the Customer Service answering machine and got a hold of their receptionist. I explained to her how long I had been calling and asked her if she could help me. She said "sure" and connected me to the Customer Service answering machine where I left another message.On February 8th, I still had not received a call-back so I called the Meade Instruments receptionist again and told her what had happened and asked if she could help me. She took my name and number and said that she would take it directly back to Customer Service and get them to call me right back.On February 15th, I called the Meade Instruments receptionist again and I explained that I would probably start calling her everyday because she was the only person in the company that I could get on the phone. She said that she would put me on 'hold', walk back to Customer Service and get them to pick up the line. I waited about 30 seconds and the phone was picked up by their answering machine again. I left them a very long and detailed message with the scopes model numbers, etc. and my contact information again.On February 16th I called the receptionist again and told her why I was calling. I told her that Customer Service would not answer the phone or return my calls and that I still needed to order a part for my scope. She told me to hold on and went off the line. When the line went live, I finally had a Customer Service representative on the line. I told him what part that I needed and he told me he could sell it to me and the cost would be $5 plus $6.50 S&H, so I gave him my credit card information and waited for delivery.I waited one month and my credit card was never charged nor was the part delivered.On March 19th, I called the receptionist at Meade Instruments again, explained to her what had happened and she took my name and said that they would call me back. At 3:22 PM that afternoon I was called back by a Customer Service representative and she asked what year my scope was made, if it was made in the US or Japan and what part I needed. I answered the questions and she asked for the model number of the scope which I gave her and then she told me:"We are not sending out any replacement parts because we're trying to build our inventory up"I was stunned at this and then asked her: "Is there anyplace else that I can buy this part?" She said "No, there are no parts available" and then asked me if there was anything else she could help me with. I told her “No” and she hung up the phone.I immediately called the Meade Instruments receptionist again and asked to speak to a Customer Service Supervisor and was passed to an answering machine for Ext. 6223. There I left another message telling it the whole story of what I had done for the last few months.I then looked at Meade Instrument's website and used their online Customer Service email link to leave a message about the trouble I had been having purchasing the part that I needed. The next day I received an email from Meade Instruments Customer Service acknowledging receipt of the message and signed by Mr. Scott W. Roberts, Vice-President- Consumer Solutions. I then copied my original message into a reply to that message and addressed it to Mr. Roberts along with my cell phone number. Less than 10 minutes later I received a call from Eddy at Meade Tech Support telling me that they had received my email and wanted to straighten this out. I explained that all I needed was to buy the small rubber eye ring for my riflescope (and gave him the model name and number). My phone beeped at me that there was someone on the other line, which I ignored. Eddy started typing on his computer and asked if he could put me on hold while he looked and I said sure, he came back on after about a minute and said that he was having a hard time locating the part and asked if it would OK if he called me back in an hour and I said sure.When I got home, I checked my phone messages and I had a call from Wayne at Meade Customer Service saying that they had got the phone message that I had left for the Customer Service Supervisor and that they couldn't sell me the part but they would give me a return authorization number and if I mailed the scope in with a $10 check for return shipping they would repair it in their shop, bill me for it and mail it back, and then he left me his extension number.While I'm listening to that phone message, someone else beeps in on the other line and I let them leave a message also. After I’m done with the first message I go back and get my new message and it's Eddy from the Meade Tech Service saying that he is leaving for the day but he can sell me the part that I need for $15 which includes S&H. He left me his extension number with the message that if I call in the morning he will get it shipped to me.I called Eddy’s extension anyway but it went to a message saying that they were closed for the day. Then I called Wayne at the Customer Service number and got his answering machine. I left him a message about how I was going to purchase the part from Eddy at Meade Tech Support the next morning so I didn’t think that I would need his return authorization number.On March 21st at 9:00 AM I called Eddy at Meade Tech Center and left a message on his answering machine that yes, I wanted to order the part and left my phone number for him to call me back. At 4:00 PM I received a call from him and I gave him my personal and credit card information and he said that he would send me the part that I needed. Half an hour later I received another call from Customer Service telling me that they had received some of the parts that I had ordered last year and were ready to ship my order if I still wanted it.On March 26th my credit card was charged $15.00 by Meade Instruments.On 3 April 2007, the part was delivered. I also figured out the direct email address of the Vice President of Consumer Solutions for Meade Instruments and sent him a copy of this write up.
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

#2 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 05 April 2007 - 07:53 AM

In some ways I feel empathy for you. All these years I thought I was the only lucky one that has to jump through these kind of hoops. I have resolved the issue by realizing the "Customer Servce" departments are misnamed, labeled incorrectly, or the building maintenance person stenciled the wrong name on the department door.Glad you got your part though. I would probably have given up. But I won't buy any of those brands of scopes in the future. Thanks for the warning notice.db
TALK STRAIGHT, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND KEEP THE MAGAZINE LOADED.ORANGEVALE,CA

#3 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 08:57 AM

That story is funny. The same kind of funny as when you drop a heavy object on your toe and you have to laugh because it's so silly but yet it really hurts. Fjold, get a shoe box. Put your scope in the box, and smash it to pieces with a hammer. Then tape it up and mail it to their VP along with your long letter of agony dealing with their customer service dept. Tell them you'll never buy one of their products again.

#4 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 05 April 2007 - 09:28 AM

I would definitely send a snail mail letter to their top guy detailing the problems you had getting service. Often, emails are ignored. I cannot tell you how many times I have sent emails using links on web pages and never heard a thing back. I bet the top dog at the company would be interested in the hoops you had to jump through. He may not even be aware of the poor customer service and might shake things up.Jason

#5 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 05 April 2007 - 03:56 PM

You did better than I did with them. When I got my 17rem I had my heart set on a simmons pro hunter 6-21X44 side focus but nobody could seem to track one down for me. I tried calling Meade and since I'm not much of an answering machine kind of guy I opted to wait on hold for the next available rep. I waited for 25 min. before I finally hung up and I tried back three days in a row after that. I eventually said screw it and got a different scope. The new simmons scopes are alot nicer than the old ones but aparently costomer service isn't even there anymore and I just can't see myself buying a product from a company that is so hard to pin down in the event that I should need some help.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#6 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 10:06 PM

BTW, They mailed the part in a padded envelope for 39 cents
Frank
Posted Image

#7 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 07:53 AM

About 4:00 yesterday the VP of Consumer Solutions for Meade called me to check to see if I had received the rubber eye cup today that I ordered. I told him that I had received it on April 3rd and he sounded puzzled about that. He explained that they had just combined all the company's customer service groups and were trying to get everything working right. He asked if I was satisfied with the part and I told him I was but I was not pleased with all the hoops that I had to jummp through to get it. And we ended the conversation.At 6:00 PM my daughter found a Priority Overnight FedEx envelope on my porch with another rubber eye ring from Meade Instruments.
Frank
Posted Image

#8 fireboltr

fireboltr

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 03:19 PM

dude that sux sorry to hear about this its kinda starting to sound like marlin except they are quick to reply just their qc obviously stinks now

#9 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,277 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 03:41 PM

Your the man..... :signs1180lq: ................. I have a 391 beretta SG the plastic cap on the butt came off when i first shot it got lost.I called the company and left many a messages I am willing to pay for it but all i get is the answer machines. They never call me back.I have given up maybe someday I will try again.

#10 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,789 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 11 April 2007 - 08:43 PM

Too bad. I had reasonable service when I returned my V16 Weaver for service, a few years ago.

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#11 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 09:06 AM

Yep, up until now most people were very satisfied with them. Meade bought Weaver, Simmons and Redfield last year and combined all the service and repair departments into one building in Irvine, CA
Frank
Posted Image

#12 tW!tcH

tW!tcH

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 07:26 PM

I am sorry for your trouble. I have a Grand Slam that the power and focus settings were worn off. The customer service rep that I spoke with was helpful and told me to just ship it back. I did have to send a check for 10 bucks and it took about a month to get my scope back, but when I called they did tell me an ETA on it. I wouldn't say they had excellent customer service, but it wasn't THAT bad for me. Hopefully they will improve it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users