1 reply to this topic

#1 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 06:54 AM

I bought a new turkey choke for this season (H/S Strut) for my 870 and I noticed on the back that it says 'DO NOT USE STEEL SHOT.' On my hunt this lat weekend, I didn't have time to pick up turkey load so I ended up using 3.5 inch #4 Kent Steelie duck load. I ended up not using the choke because I figured I'd listen to the manufacturer's warning. Since I work late I don't have time to get to a shop and pickup turkey load so I ordered online and wouldn't you know it...my shells won't be here in time for my hunt this weekend, which leads me to my question...Does anyone know if I can use the steelies with the choke tube? If not, why not?Thanks.

#2 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:Open Field Coursing and hunting.

Posted 04 April 2007 - 06:28 PM

Does anyone know if I can use the steelies with the choke tube? If not, why not?

Jeff I have two Extra Full chokes from Colonial Arms (Baikal 20 ga and Rem Spartan 12 ga) and one from Briley (Stoeger 2000) and both companies do not recommend steel shot. In fact, Stoegar does not recommend steel shot through their stock full choke. Apparently, the hard steel shot doesn't compress and can cause problems when constricted too much. Hevi Shot Dead Coyote loads will work in all of them according to both companies. Good shooting, Woodog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users