5 replies to this topic

#1 Dave H

Dave H

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 07:34 PM

Where do you guys buy lead shot at, I have been to almost all the gun stores in San Diego and nobody carries lead shot anymore so I bought some from midway but they charge a hefty price for shipping.If anybody knows a place in San Diego to buy shot or a good place online to get it I would appreciate it

#2 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 03:59 PM

Find a trap or skeet club and talk to some of their members. Often time they will do big orders.

#3 Bill T

Bill T

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Guns, Shooting, and Reloading

Posted 02 April 2007 - 12:46 PM

Lead shot has gone way up in price. I live just a couple of miles from the new Cabela's store they just opened last Summer here in Glendale, Arizona and the lead shot they have is currently selling for just over $33.00 @ 25 pound bag. Back in 1995 my wife and I bought a ton, (80 bags), direct from Larry Scott of Scott Shot in St. George, Utah for $12.00 @ bag, and hauled it home ourself, sagging leaf springs and all. We're still shooting that shot. One of my better buys. One thing I would mention is if you deal with a Trap & Skeet club, be sure the shot is recast and not reclaimed. there is a big difference. Recast shot is gathered from the ground and resmelted and redropped, and is for all intended purposes, new shot. Reclaimed shot is gathered in the same fashion, then just washed and rebagged. It contains a lot of odd shaped pellets, possible contaminates, and isn't worth the small savings. It pays to shoot good shot. It makes no sense to risk scoring the barrel of a $2,000.00 O/U to save $5.00 @ bag on shot. Bill T.

#4 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 01:01 PM

I live in San Juan Capistrano and my good buddy has a bunch of 6 and 7 shot he would sell or trade. Just a short drive for you to save on shipping.

#5 Stan

Stan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 11:54 PM

Depending on the wad you use & the amount of shotI shot a lot of reclaimed @ South Coast Gun Club when I was on the skeet league Saved a bundle on shot shoot 4 boxes per night’s shoot 4 boxes of practice that was for 1 week and in 1984 it still stung the wallet :horse apples: If I remember 1 1/8 wad or 1 oz wad with 7/8 oz 12 ga load nothing to touch the chrome lined barrel as the shot was level with the wad You can make your own shot now very easily if you have a source of cheap lead Magma Engineering Shotmaker pumps out 35-45 pounds of high antimony, perfectly round shot every hour... http://www.magmaengi...m/item.php?id=2My 2 cents :peta:

#6 Bill T

Bill T

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Guns, Shooting, and Reloading

Posted 03 April 2007 - 03:15 AM

The Littleton Shotmaker has been around for several years now, and for most of that time it was one of those gadgets that was, "more trouble than it was worth". But now with shot prices climbing thru the roof, it makes a lot more sense, especially if one has access to a plentiful, cheap supply of lead. Bill T.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users