7 replies to this topic

#1 steven49

steven49

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 12:28 PM

First time trial with the NEW Rossi SS .357 Mag..Reloading that is.. I used 9gr. Unique(Alliant) powder, CCI SRPrimer, Hornady 140 gr. HP-XTP Bullet, new Brass, heavy crimp..Should Shoot OK..? Does anyone have A better powder/primer combo for A 125 gr or 140 gr. Jacketed Bullet. I tried Unique because it's faster powder..Not much Data on it, though..ANY Pet Loads from you pistol reloader's? All info is Appreciated! steven49. :ph34r:

#2 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 23 March 2007 - 12:58 PM

I like the heavier 158 grain XTP with 16. grains of H110 out of my 4" S&W 686. Real accurate at near top velocity. You know you are shooting a magnum with H110 !!

#3 assasin

assasin

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 10:16 AM

give imr 4227 and win 231/hp38 a try my plinker load is is a 5.5 gn of hp38 behind a 125cast lrn 9mm bullt in 38 sp brass it is a +p . i like the long nose on the bullet and i can seat it out so it loads real nice in my lever gun

#4 Rick

Rick

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 08:34 PM

I quit using powder that doesn't fill the case up at least 75% full. The reason is, I have seen BIG differences in velocities because of what I believe is inconsistant powder burning rate INSIDE the cartridge. I have been reloading for over 30 yrs. and ALWAYS try to suggest to the new reloaders to invest in a couple of reloading manuals and READ the reloading information. You can often see big differences in reloading pressure signs in Different firearms using the SAME reloads when you approach maximum (pressure) loads. I have seen the results of several reloading mistakes resulting in personal injury and property damage. All major reloading data suggests that while working up loads ALWAYS reduce the loads by 5-10 % of maximum when starting and look for pressure signs. I haven't checked my reloading manual, but I suspect the 9 gr. of Unique is less than 50% of case capacity in the 357 mag. (double powder charge possible without powder overflow from case). Also different "lot" powders can have different burn rates. Anyway, just my .02 dollars worth probably as a result of seeing a reloading mistake at Rainbow Range earilier today.Incidently, I also like H110 for reloading my 357 , both for 125 and 140 gr. JHP'sHappy Hunting,rick

#5 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 25 March 2007 - 10:02 PM

357 Magnum calls for slow burning powder like the H110 or the Alliant 2400. I can't recall my pet loads. I remember using the Alliant 2400 and 158 grain Hornady XTP. I used them on my 6" Colt Python, which I traded long time ago, on deer. Biggest mistake of my life.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#6 steven49

steven49

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 03:20 PM

THANKS, ! for your Advise and Replies..Will try some new loads in the Future, see how it goes..357 Mag, that is..b

#7 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,787 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 26 March 2007 - 03:41 PM

357 Magnum calls for slow burning powder like the H110 or the Alliant 2400. I can't recall my pet loads. I remember using the Alliant 2400 and 158 grain Hornady XTP. I used them on my 6" Colt Python, which I traded long time ago, on deer. Biggest mistake of my life.

What, the shooting deer or the trading?
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#8 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 26 March 2007 - 08:26 PM

What, the shooting deer or the trading?

Ooops, must be mucho cervesa, I mean trading my Python.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users