• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#61 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Interests:sxs smallbore shotguns .410 in particular, bird dogs, aviation, BBQ, grilling, photography, red wines, craft beers

Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:28 AM

All types of actions have their failure modes. I've seen and had numerous revolvers lock the cylinder for more than one reason. The pierced primer mentioned earlier was one reason. Another was bullets unseating from recoil and moving forward. Another was the cylinder pawl jamming from debris. I had a old Colt Python that the cylinder hand would not advance the cylinder reliably. I had a new Python that would jamb up solid due to an internal fit problem.

I've had 1911s (more than one ) jamb the slide so tight that a mallet was needed to move it. A real 1911 Colt that the firing pin would not strike the primer hard enough. 1911 broken firing pins. 1911 broken hammer sear notch so it wouldn't stay cocked fully and dropped to the half cock notch. Feeding issues of many types in many types of autos. Ejection problems of various types of guns.extractors that broke.

There's just no free lunches. All designs can have problems. I ran into many of the problems while working as a gunsmith for a few years to supplement my income when I owned a small machine shop. It amazed me with some of the problems people brought me. Some cop friends had some of the worst guns I've run across.
It's not about how many, it's about how.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog or gun

Maintain a balance of nature, use a beautiful gun when shooting a beautiful bird

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users