60 replies to this topic

#1 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 07:53 AM

I started to piggyback on skywayman's thread regarding the .40 vs. .45 and decided I'd better start my own thread before I got in trouble. :yikes[1]: I have a Ruger single six .22LR/.22WMR and I'm not sure if I really need anything larger for "big" game defense, etc. in the areas I hunt - but I've been talked into my next purchase being probably a .45So is that a wise choice? I see a majority of you all on this forum carry pistols, but it also seems the best 'defense' option is a double action revolver. I'm slightly more attracted to the pistol but I'd like you all to convince me one way or the other. You all have about 12 months to convince me, as I am not purchasing anything new until next year. 2 new rifles in less that 3 weeks is "enough" to quote the boss. :pirashoot:
Sheldon

#2 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 08:45 AM

Personally I call any handgun a pistol (auto or revolver). Either one are nice, sometimes I'll carry a revolver when out hunting, sometimes an auto. For a nice carry sidearm it's tough to beat a 1911 IMO.
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#3 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 09:21 AM

Personally I call any handgun a pistol (auto or revolver).

I usually do as well, but I noticed all manufacturers use "pistol" and "revolver" separately when you browse their products.
Sheldon

#4 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 22 March 2007 - 09:35 AM

I like both. I always say carry something that feels comfortable in your hand and when you shoot it. Otherwise it will just collect dust in your gun cabinet. And don't be like my brother in law that won a few hundred in Vegas and went down to some fly by night gun store and bought a 9mm in some brand I never heard of. It looks like it was made of sheet metal and has about 18" groups at 15 yards.Jason

#5 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 09:36 AM

Yeah, I know. It's just the way I've always said it lol.
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#6 jim d

jim d

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:43 PM

If your Ruger fits you and you can shoot it well I would stay with the same type of weapon as You could use the 22 for practice instead of having to practice all the time with a weapon that has more recoil such as a 44 or 45.

#7 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 22 March 2007 - 01:56 PM

We have a 44 "revolver" and a 40 with a clip.. I prefer the 40. For one it loads alot faster than the revolver. Just slide the clip in.. versus loading each bullet.. Its even faster than the speed loader too. 2. I dont have to worry about it firing.. My 40 has little bar that you can feel with your finger in the dark that tells you if your good to go or not.. And its more compact and easier to carry in the holster, since the 44 we have has the 8 3/8 in barrel. Its a wee bit big...
Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

#8 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 22 March 2007 - 03:13 PM

Personally I call any handgun a pistol (auto or revolver).

Most folks do. A pistol is what you'd call a handgun that chambers a round directly in the breach of the barrel, like an auto or a singleshot (pretty much any handgun but a revolver). I still call 'em pistols too. It's easier to say and people still know what you're talking about.I like revolvers myself. I have yet to have one jam up on me, and if you have a dud cartridge you just have to pull the trigger (or thumb back the hammer if you shoot a single action) and that dud gets passed up and a fresh round is ready to roll. I also like the ability to use very light or pedal to the metal loads without haveing to deal with feeding problems.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#9 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,788 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 22 March 2007 - 03:50 PM

Heck, just go on another spree and get both. I'd recommend a 1911 45 and a Mod 29 44 Mag. Posted ImageMaybe a Mod 29 like this one. That way if you run out of ammo you still have a club! :pirashoot:

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#10 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 22 March 2007 - 03:51 PM

I like the Ruger single action revolvers for hunting/backup while in the field. I have a Ruger Blackhawk in 45ACP/45Colt with 5" bbl. 45ACP for fun stuff and stout 45 Colt handloads w/300 grain bullets for hunting. I will also sometimes carry my S&W 629 Classic w/5" bbl in 44 mag. Having carried both a revolver and semi-auto daily at work, I will say the revolver will always go bang each time you pull the trigger. The semi-autos require a little more attention as far aa cleaning/lubing to ensure they will function properly after that first shot. If you keep up on the cleaning/lubing, assuming it is a quality pistol to begin with, they are just as reliable for the most part. I also have a Glock 23 in 40 S&W that I have never had any failure to feed problems with. Even if I don't do my part and service it regularly, it always works. Still not a good excuse not to maintain it properly. I think the Glocks are exceptional pistols.What it all comes down to is what feels right for you and what you shoot best with. A good reason to buy a few of each :pirashoot: Just my 2 cents worth.Frank

#11 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 07:19 PM

"Heck, just go on another spree and get both. "" That way if you run out of ammo you still have a club! "

You been rattlin' off some good comments lately! Nothing to say except, :pirashoot:
Sheldon

#12 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 22 March 2007 - 07:51 PM

ROFLMAO Nice gun.. We have the 629 with a full lug. How long is that barrel?
Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

#13 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,788 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 23 March 2007 - 12:40 AM

ROFLMAO Nice gun.. We have the 629 with a full lug. How long is that barrel?

That barrel is 10 5/8". It was a production item back in the '80s. Made for handgun silhouette, the front sight has four seperate settings.

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#14 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 03:12 AM

Maybe a Mod 29 like this one. That way if you run out of ammo you still have a club! :653:

Careful you'll poke yer eye out with that thing! :ph34r:

#15 Menace

Menace

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 07:12 AM

I carry my beretta 92FS or Colt 1911. Not big into revolvers but your most stopping power comes from the bigger cal's like shown above with the 10' barrel :ph34r: I use my beretta when I hunt lands in areas like Cache Creek and around yuba city... might be only 9mm but its loaded with with black talons and i have 3 pre ban 15rnd mags with it and it fits nice in a shoulder holster... carry that cause sometimes wild animals are not the only thing up to no good in those areas.Most people prefer revolvers cause they will "shoot all the time" but i have never had a problem with any of my pistols aside from the occasions mis-feed and thats just a tap, tap, rack and go! A .40 or .45 would do great for the just in case. Use a good hollow point like spear or find some black talons and you would be good to go... I also prefer the pistol due to shear reloading speed. If you get into a situation and you unload your 6/10/7 rounds you have a better change of reloading on the run with a pistol than a revolver. They also make a great pistol hip holster that has a space for an extra mag. John

#16 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 10:30 AM

Never had a single problem with my Sig P220 .45 or my SW40VE in .40 cal. Carry both all the time while hunting and trust them with my life. Both fit nice in my shoulder holster. Love that you can carry concealed while hunting according to our hunting regs. Too bad I couldn't use that in my city and say that I am hunting crows! :ph34r: Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1
Fellow Team Savage member and Team Ruger! Semper Fidelis!
NRA Certified Instructor / Multi-state CCW Instructor

#17 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,384 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 23 March 2007 - 11:17 AM

You'd be arrested just as fast because you can't hunt crows in California with anything but a shotgun. :ph34r:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#18 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,243 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 01:20 PM

Got my 2 cts I love the feel of a nicely made 1911 it just fits my hand perfect ...AHHHHH.........I bet it can knock down a charging Hog .I have put down many cattle with a shot to the head. My next gun be a kimber like the pic in my avatar ......................I drool when i look at them. I have a la lama 1911 clone for now.

#19 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 01:27 PM

Which revolvers have a handle that will fit in a big hand?

#20 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 03:44 PM

That barrel is 10 5/8". It was a production item back in the '80s. Made for handgun silhouette, the front sight has four seperate settings.

DANG I thought mine was long... Youve got 2 1/4 inches over mine. Sheesh Now since yours isnt a full lug how does it shoot? Do you find a problem with it wanting to lift up? As far as the Kimber goes, I know someone with one.. Had never seenone before and I got to say That is one sweet gun.. Its so balanced its awesome. I didnt shoot it, just held it and looked it over, But a nice one all the same...

#21 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 23 March 2007 - 04:59 PM

Which revolvers have a handle that will fit in a big hand?

Most of the large frame DA revolvers are comfortable for big pawed fellas. The plowhandle style SA grips are useually a love 'em or hate 'em sort of deal. I haven't handled a big taurus but the super redhawk has a large, hand filling grip. I like the Grips that the S&Ws come with but they may be a bit on the narrow side for some ham fisted shooters. I'd say to get whatever gun you like and then get a set of aftermarket grips if it doesn't fit quite right.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageHere's my .44 with three different grip styles.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#22 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,243 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 07:30 PM

I like the first grip Clamp is that a packmyer grip. Nice gun I borrowed my in-laws 529 S,W had the long Barrel was fun to shoot after a box my hand was sore.........oh it was 44 mag.

#23 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 07:46 PM

I like the first grip Clamp is that a packmyer grip........

The first one is the factory set made by Hogue. The second set is also a factory set (the CL DX models come with two sets) but I'm not sure who makes them from S&W. The third set is the Jerry Miculac competition design but I can't remember who makes it either, I do know that I ordered it thru the dillon blue press catalog. The middle grip is my favorite feeling of the three because its nice and thick but it is the worst for handleing heavy recoiling loads.

#24 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 08:04 AM

Most people prefer revolvers cause they will "shoot all the time"

Not entirely true. Revolvers gum up too, just like an auto after "extended" shooting sessions and/or dirty ammo. Crud builds up and can hinder proper movement of the cylinder. Take a Glock and a 357mag and shoot them one shot at a time until one of them malfunctions. I'd put money on a Glock/Sig/HK/etc winning that contest.

#25 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 08:06 AM

You'd be arrested just as fast because you can't hunt crows in California with anything but a shotgun. :)

True, but carry my shotgun. The regs say as long as you are hunting, you can carry a handgun concealed. It is a nice thought at least, but in this small town even shooting a slingshot is a crime. Looked it up in the municpal code. :harhar1[1]: Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1
Fellow Team Savage member and Team Ruger! Semper Fidelis!
NRA Certified Instructor / Multi-state CCW Instructor

#26 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 24 March 2007 - 09:49 AM

Not entirely true. Revolvers gum up too, just like an auto after "extended" shooting sessions and/or dirty ammo. Crud builds up and can hinder proper movement of the cylinder. Take a Glock and a 357mag and shoot them one shot at a time until one of them malfunctions. I'd put money on a Glock/Sig/HK/etc winning that contest.

StiffNeck, I think you would be giving your money away on this one. It would be a fun experiment though. I would love to give it a try. I do think this would take a while and lots of ammo, but I believe the revolver would win. Who knows, the semi-auto shooter may "limp wrist" a shot and lose right away. :harhar1[1]: Has anybody tried this before? If so, lets hear your results.

#27 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,384 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 10:06 AM

I once shot almost 1000 rounds of light .44 Special loads in one of my S&W model 29 44 magnums. It still functioned perfectly even though the gun looked so bad and dirty I just had to clean it. I have an ultrasonic cleaner large enough to fit the whole gun in. So much grime came off I couldn't see the gun in the tank. I know you're asking why I would wait that long to clean it. I used it over several weekends just plinking and hip shooting just to familiarize myself with the gun. One interesting thing about shooting .44 Special and .44 Magnum is they shoot extremely close to the same impact point. The slower .44 Special has time to raise the barrel and the .44 Magnum comes out faster so the barrel doesn't raise as much. It's the same with shooting a .30-06 and a .375 H&H, same effect. I have shot almost strictly cast lead bullets in this particular .44. I cast and shoot the Keith 250gr semi wad cutter. It's a great bullet and I cast them very hard. For fun I once chopped down a 10 inch diameter pine tree on our property by shooting it with this gun. The tree had to go and I wanted to see if I could do the job with my pistol. A chain saw makes for a nicer cut. :harhar1[1]:

Time waits for no one--

#28 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,792 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 24 March 2007 - 02:16 PM

But the chain saw definately isn't as much fun!!!
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#29 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,384 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 02:35 PM

That was my thinking too. Bang...Bang...Bang...Timber! :harhar1[1]:

Time waits for no one--

#30 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 04:01 PM

I was thinking about the Taurus Millenium Pro .45. What do you all think of Taurus, and then of the Millenium Pro's?Posted Image
Sheldon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users