#1 DEERSLAM

DEERSLAM

Hunting 365 days a year...in my mind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts
  • Interests:Family and hunting

Posted 18 March 2007 - 01:27 PM

I was thinking about getting a shooting bench for squirrels and P dogs. Was looking at the cheaper ones that Cabelas, Midway and some others carry. What do you all use and what would you suggest. Trying to stay around $100...maybe alittle more. Thanks for any input.

#2 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 18 March 2007 - 02:22 PM

I've got one of the lightweight ones from Midway, I think it's a "Do-All". The good thing about it is that it's portable and lightweight, when you sit on it your weight helps stabilize it but it is nowhere close to as stable as a good solid bench rest. I'm thinking of making one out of square tubing that will plug into the trailer hitch on my truck and has a screw jack on the bottom that I can drive into the ground and use the weight of the truck to stabilize it.

#3 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 18 March 2007 - 03:24 PM

I use a 6' folding plastic top table I got at Wal Mart for 40.00. Folds in half and the legs fold up inside.. The legs are 1" metal tubing. I took the bottom part off of 4 aluminum crutches, the part with the spring loaded pins for height adjustment, and drilled matching holes in the table legs that match the pins in the crutch end. Then just slid the crutch end into the table leg. Did this for all four table legs and now I have an adjustable height shooting table. Then got hold of a padded swivel chair, the kind you can raise up/down. Use sand filled shooting bags or bipod and it is pretty stable.If anybody would like to see pictures I can take/post some later, daughter took camera.

#4 DEERSLAM

DEERSLAM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 03:34 PM

I was thinkin about this one maybe. I wouldn't use the front rest. Would use my bench rest setup or shooting bags.

#5 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 07:57 PM

I'm in the process of building one for my truck. Mostly because all my buddies have home built one for their trips up north for the squirrel scramble. It'll mount in the bed of my truck and set me about 4 feet above the bedrails.All the cool people are doing it...

#6 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 18 March 2007 - 08:00 PM

Somebody on another site named my type the "Booger Bench". :D Go to hardware store and get folding table legs. Find 3/4" scrap A/C plywood, cut to your preference. Find 12" of 1X3 to make it so the legs lay parallel when folded. It ain't perfect but, I can carry it all over a PD or squirrel town with the rest of my shooting rig and have a reasonably stable platform. Just use a camp stool to sit on. But, I don't ever shoot much further than 600 - 1000 yds. :D

#7 204destroyer

204destroyer

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 08:15 PM

I built a shooting rest about 5 years ago that works great and cost about $15.00. Buy yourself an old tri pod ( or a new one) You build a top for it out of wood, hard to explain but I can send you a picture if you want. Swivels up and down, real light to carry, folds up out of the way, and is very adjustable. I carry mine everywhere with me, as a matter of fact I have 3 or 4 for friends to use also. You have to carry a stool, I have a foldup stool that contains all my ammo, binoculars, rangefinder and lunch. If interested let me know.

#8 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 18 March 2007 - 08:30 PM

I have three of these I bought for Point Blank Lil'Shooter, and me. They have worked fine for me. I have taken critters out to 265 yards, but If you are like the other posters on this site, they all seem to be shooting everything at 500+ yards, you will need a heavier unit.dbhttp://www.cabelas.c...e...a&noImage=0

#9 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 11:31 AM

I drew up this diagram because I need pictures to build things. :D Posted ImagePosted ImageMaterials:$26 two quarter sheets of 3/4" birch plywood (regular is only $10 each)$5 Gorilla glue$5 assorted sandpaper$10 quart of primer (tinted to match paint)$10 quart of exterior satin latex paint$28 custom welded mounts and hardware, including shipping$5 spray paint for legsThat's roughly $90 for everything but the legs, which I already had from the last project. Legs would cost about $30 additional. So this table costs under $125 to make. It's MUCH steadier than ANY of the other homemade designs you'll find, and also much steadier than most of the benches you can buy. I wouldn't hesitate to sit, stand, or jump on this thing, and I'm 275 lbs (of muscle). :)1. Quarter sheets of plywood. The standard plywood was warped pretty bad everywhere I went, so I spent an extra $3 per sheet for the nicer birch stuff. A quarter sheet is 24" x 48" which is just about right for a table.2. I used Gorilla glue to stick the two sheets together. Wet both sides, smear an even coat and compress. I stacked a bunch of ammo and tire chains ect to compress it overnight. 3. I drew the outline of the table and cut it out with a jig saw. My table is cut down to 45" in length but I wanted it as wide as possible. 4. Using an electric sander I sanded down the sides nice and smooth. I filled in some small gaps and uneven spots with bondo and sanded again. The nicer birch tops didn't need any sanding at this point. I rounded the edges off a little too.5. I laid the welded mounts on the table and marked spots to drill. Then I drilled top to bottom. 6. Next I applied a coat of shellac to seal the wood up. It dried quickly and I lighly sanded all surfaces. Now it's really smooth. 7. I sprayed several coats of aerosol truck bed liner onto the mounts. Not too sure how durable this stuff is, if I like it I'll use it on the legs too. 8. Primer next. Only on the bottom for now. It dries in an hour. 9. Paint. Bottom first. Two coats. 10. Bolt in the mounts while the table is still bottom side up. Tighten everything down.11. Insert legs and flip it right side up. 12. Prime the sides and top.13. Paint the sides and top. 3 coats. That's where I'm at now. It's curing in the garage. All I have left to do is paint the legs, which I will do tomorrow or maybe later tonight. Finally, my bucket seat got two coats. Then I need to get a replacement bucket, this one may fold under any moment... Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageSo far, the table is rock solid!!! I like it! :D I should have built it like this the first time and not messed with all those other silly designs I tried. The weight isn't bad, it's a little heavier than my other table. I didn't cut out a carry handle becuase the jig saw I borrowed died on me. I can always add that later. I will also use this for a reloading table, but I'll wait to drill holes until it's all dry and I can see where the good balance points are. I'll probably just mount my press along the long side just like my old bench. Can't wait!Posted Image

#10 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 01:25 PM

My bench is going to be loosely based on this because I want to be able to set it up at home on the ground too:http://www.thebigsho...com/benches.cfmMost of my friends' benches are designed to bolt into their truck beds and cannot be used anywhere else.

#11 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 19 March 2007 - 05:29 PM

Nice bench stiff neck! I think I might just make one for myself. One of my squirrel spots is at the end of a raised/narrow dirt road between two fields. I cant pitch my truck sideways enough to use the hood or the tailgate as a rest so I have to climb into the back of the truck, sit on the tool box and use the roof of the cab. A bench like that would be really nice.

#12 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,663 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 19 March 2007 - 05:37 PM

Stiff Neck has a nice bench I was glad to seem him go to the double thickness of plywood it makes a big difference. Two minor points I would change. I would counter sink the carriage bolt heads and either fill over them or wood plug them to keep the top smooth. I would also recommend self locking nuts on the bolts. The nuts with the nylon inserts so that they never loosen when putting the legs on and taking them off. I have a couple of those benches and they are very comfortable to shoot from.

#13 DEERSLAM

DEERSLAM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 05:56 PM

Very nice bench Stiff Neck. That one you are going to copy Sheldon is very cool. My deal is I don't have the tools to make a bench. I have the plywood...no saw, no sander, etc. I'll figure something out..got to have it before a big squirrel shoot I'm going to on the 31st.

#14 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 19 March 2007 - 05:58 PM

Yeah, I was planning a few alterations to the design (it's already a kick a$$ bench. Thanks for the drawings SN). I was thinking of useing plowbolts instead of carriage bolts, aluminum pipe to shed a little weight, and I was thinking of cutting a couple barrel notches along the side of the benchtop to rest a couple extra rifles

#15 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,663 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 06:06 PM

This is the original bench mine were modeled after and I like the ability to use both sides.http://www.larrywill...otingbench.html I manufacture the leg socket myself so it's just a matter of getting the legs the length to suit you.

#16 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,663 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 06:09 PM

All this being said this is my favorite bench to take out because it's fast to setup and light enough to move around.http://www.mtmcase-g...ting_bench.html

#17 DEERSLAM

DEERSLAM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 06:14 PM

All this being said this is my favorite bench to take out because it's fast to setup and light enough to move around.http://www.mtmcase-g...ting_bench.html

I had looked at that MTM but just wasn't to sure how sturdy it would be. What chair to you use with it SJ?

#18 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,663 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 06:28 PM

I uses a five gallon bucket with a swivel padded top on it. The tops are cheap I think I found them for $5.99 and if you want a taller bucket you can use a 7.5 gallon one I see them occasionally. The buckets are great because you can carry your ammo and binoculars and what have you. Plus that bench has a place to rest another gun.

#19 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 06:38 PM

I could probably give you hand Mike. I don't have a sander, but I have most other tools you should need. Just grab a block sander and some sand paper at Home Depot. You bring the beer and materials, and I can help a fella out!

#20 Stan

Stan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 11:38 PM

I can help make a suggestion if you use Finland Birch plywood it is much stronger and lighter find a cabinet shop to bye some most shops hate to throw away good pieces and a good deal can be made

#21 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 20 March 2007 - 08:54 AM

The bench I use is called the BR Pivot www.varmintmasters.net Even in Aluminium it's heavy though. Been toying with a lighter top for it but haven't figured it out yet. The rotating is really a handy feature. It needs a cart if you're going to transport it very far. I think Coyote Jake's makes a rotating bench also. This thread should be in Equipment.

#22 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 05:10 PM

Well, I decided to take a few piccies of the beginning of my bench. It's a VERY simple design but extremely heavy!It's taking me along time ti finish it up only because I'm taking my time and making sure I don't weld something that I wish I hadn't later on. I only tacked that rectangular length on for the seat. Again, I'm not sure if that's how I think I want it and I don't have alot of this steel to waste! haha.Posted ImagePosted Image

#23 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 06:22 PM

Yeah I'd like to countersink those bolt tops, but I currently lack the tools for that. It's easy to do, but not without the right tool. All I have to do is unscrew the nuts real quick and get it done, then patch the top and repaint. No prob. :)Ditto on the 5-gallon bucket seat. Mine works great, it's perfect for storing stuff and carrying it in the car.

#24 DEERSLAM

DEERSLAM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 06:25 PM

I could probably give you hand Mike. I don't have a sander, but I have most other tools you should need. Just grab a block sander and some sand paper at Home Depot. You bring the beer and materials, and I can help a fella out!

Sheldon I let you know if I decide to build or buy. Thanks for the offer :signlol2iu:

#25 atavuss

atavuss

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 09:32 PM

I bought one of these, available at Sportsman's warehouse in Rocklin for around 99.00it is rock steady and comfortable with enough room to put a lot of stuff on it. the only problem I found is that a lot of the nuts were loose so I went and tightened every nut and bolt on it good and tight. it folds to around 4" thick. very portable but a bit heavy. shooting bench

#26 atavuss

atavuss

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 09:43 PM

duplicate post, please delete

#27 DEERSLAM

DEERSLAM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 05:49 AM

I bought the same bench at Sportsmans in Rocklin a couple of weeks ago...pretty nice setup for the money. I hope to be using it more real soon.

#28 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 04:35 PM

I finnished my bench on thursday and took 'er for a spin today. :signlol2iu: Thanks again for the plans SN :1106: . It was waaaaaay nicer to shoot varmints from a bench than trying to use different parts of a hot pickup truck. My hit average went way up, especially on the shots passed 250 yards. One spot that I shoot has a nice squirrel colony at a perfect 300 yards from the dirt road. I set up the bench with my little shooting vice, turned the scope up to 24 power, set the first dot on 'em and shot 16 of the little buggers with 18 shots (the little ones are so dumb :roflmao3[1]: ). I need to use a different paint/coating on it though because when I turn it over and slide it back into the bed of my truck the line-x really wears at the paint.

#29 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 29 April 2007 - 06:56 PM

I finnished my bench on thursday and took 'er for a spin today. :1106: Thanks again for the plans SN :good: . It was waaaaaay nicer to shoot varmints from a bench than trying to use different parts of a hot pickup truck. My hit average went way up, especially on the shots passed 250 yards. One spot that I shoot has a nice squirrel colony at a perfect 300 yards from the dirt road. I set up the bench with my little shooting vice, turned the scope up to 24 power, set the first dot on 'em and shot 16 of the little buggers with 18 shots (the little ones are so dumb :signlol2iu: ). I need to use a different paint/coating on it though because when I turn it over and slide it back into the bed of my truck the line-x really wears at the paint.

NICE!!! :653: I'm guessing your talking about the spot over there between the heifers and the river, at the edge of the irrigation ditch? Which gun were you using, the CZ or the Savage? :roflmao3[1]:

#30 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 02:17 PM

Nope. Remember those lower mounds on the ditch by carpenter? Well, those little buggers are all over that area and I put a serious dent in thier population. I didn't see a single squirrel where the dirt road dead ends at the ditch. We did a good job of getting rid of that colony. Now the ones further down the line are gettin' it in a bad way. I was shooting the savage. I'm going to prime some cases for the 17 as soon as I get off the computer. When are we gonna get some pics of some Oregon kills? I hear the wolverines and ligers are pretty thick up there, hope you have skills with num-chucks or a bow-staff. :504:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users