13 replies to this topic

#1 Craig J

Craig J

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 10:22 PM

What makes one pick a certain gun powder versas another? Where do you start and why?

#2 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 18 March 2007 - 08:01 AM

Generally start with the powder or bullet manufacturer's recommendations in a loading manual. The powders are made to have different burning rates to suit the different cartridges. I believe that Bullseye is still the fastest burning rate and it is frequently used for cartridges like the 38 Special. In the small rifle cases like the 223 powders such as 4895 or 748 are frequently used. As you move into larger rifle cases with heavier bullets slower powders becomt the norm. Powders like 7828 and H1000 will give excellent accuracy while propelling a long, heavy bullet to high velocities. In addition to the different burning rates powders are physically different shapes. There are flake, ball and extruded powders. Flake is generally found in the old style pistol powders. Ball is relatively new and comes in a wide range of burning rates, it is favored because it meters very uniformly. Extruded or stick powders resemble uniformly broken pencil lead and is normally used in rifles or large pistol cartridges. Stick powders are generally more difficult to meter from a handloaders powder measure and require greater care when loading.Hope this helps.

#3 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 18 March 2007 - 10:13 AM

I generally look in reloading manuals to see what powders give the best velocity for the bullet weight that I want to use. Then I look at the loading density of the powders that I've narrowed it down too. I like to run about 90%-100% loading density for more uniformity. Then I look at what other people have had good luck with as far as accuracy and velocity.

#4 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 18 March 2007 - 12:26 PM

Ditto Frank... Being a hunter, instead of a pure target shooter, I too look first for the powders that give the highest velocities. Now here is where I differ slightly. While I also look at how much (%) a powder fills the case, I don't always go by that. Often times a powder that does not fill a case as much, can produce higher velocity with just as good a accuracy than one that does (fill the case more). My pet 22-250, 223 & 300 win mag are all perfect examples of this. And, Not using the highest velocity loads w/best accuracy is probably the #1 thing among many handloading hunters in my experience; for various reasons. Also, remember that reloading manuals are only guidelines & sometimes incorrect... on any info. Plus each firearm may or may "not" like the same load('s). Anyway, I've seen powders listed at say 95% full, when in fact it was closer to 80+% or so. So LOT'S of variations in other words, that only time & experience will give you.A lot of this is just plain reading, studying & practicing or like putting a HUGE puzzle together... one piece at a time. But well worth the (great) results... including being a great hobby / something to do in old age. LOL Good luck(from another) Frank

#5 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 18 March 2007 - 06:09 PM

I use the nosler reloading manual to pick the powder I want to try, then I'll use the manual for wichever bullet I'm useing to get thier max charge info. The nosler manual shows which powder produced the best accuracy, and it shows what charges produced the best accuracy @ which velocity for all the other powders tested. It's useually pretty darn close. I don't pay much attention to powder density. I just look for whichever powder gives accuracy at or near top velocity.

#6 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 18 March 2007 - 07:01 PM

For Craig J, and anyone else that is interested, here is the link to Hogdon's web site. They now market Hogdon, Winchester & IMR powders. They have on-line loading data for just about any caliber and combination of components you want, using IMR, Hogdon or Winchester powders. Well, except they didn't show my 6X284 with the Sierra 107 MK and IMR 7828. :D Which is my favorite load for that caliber. Hogdon's Web SiteBummer.

#7 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 11:40 AM

Look at what others have having success with using the type of bullet you want to use. That should narrow it down to a couple of choices. Then decide if you need a powder that meters well, or is not affected by temperature much, or gives high velocities. Availability may be a consideration too, although a lot of us just order in bulk online since locals stores are hit and miss for inventory.

#8 .243Win

.243Win

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 02:49 PM

on the subject of powderthere was an event here in So Cal recently (Norco) that got a lot of press coveragehouse catches on firefire dept encounters small arms explosionssearch of premises later reveals 50+ pounds of gunpowder, type and qty unknown to meonwer arrested for being in possession of more than 1lb of gun powder, and other various serious charges thathave been overblown in my opinion ( million rounds of ammo, etc etc etc)you reloaders, check your stocks of powderare you legal ? (don't answer, just ponder the thought)

#9 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 03:35 PM

I thought that the state fire code limit was 20 pounds of smokeless. Anyone know?I know a lot of people that you couldn't blow out of bed in the morning with one pound. ^_^

#10 Craig J

Craig J

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 08:05 AM

Just want to say thanks for the info.

#11 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 08:10 PM

That's not a CA law as far as I now, but it could be a local ordinance for that area.

#12 yunggun

yunggun

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 09:45 PM

just a bit of info that may help. though powders and powder wieght are important, the single most important part of a good, accurate load is the bullet. find a bullet that your gun likes and stick with it. ( I like my nosler ballistic tips) anyway, hope this helps

#13 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,655 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 22 March 2007 - 09:37 AM

I thought that the state fire code limit was 20 pounds of smokeless. Anyone know?

The state Fire Marshall's office says 20 pounds of smokeless. We can also keep 10,000 primers too. Couldn't find the amount of black powder and was sort of curious.

#14 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 22 March 2007 - 10:08 AM

The state Fire Marshall's office says 20 pounds of smokeless. We can also keep 10,000 primers too. Couldn't find the amount of black powder and was sort of curious.

I just love those laws. Completely meaningless. If someone wants to stockpile that much in order to do something nefarious, they aren't going to care about how many pounds they have anyway. But it makes the pols in Sacramentaxo feel better about themselves. :pirashoot:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users