12 replies to this topic

#1 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 01:31 PM

I don't use hearing protection while calling coyotes. But I don't actually fire my rifle much. I ALWAYS wear plugs while plinking or shooting squirrels etc, and I usually double up at the range. One thing I've noticed is that calling coyotes is MUCH easier on the ears now that I have an electonic caller that is placed away from me. I swear, sometimes I come close to driving myself friggin crazy with the LOUD screams of my mouth calls and howls. They're so doggone loud! Does anybody here use ear protection while hunting?

#2 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sports

Posted 02 December 2005 - 03:30 PM

What did you say? Beering protection, don't need it I quit drinking. :lol: Actually No, I never wear hearing protection while hunting of any kind.I do at the Range.
Failure is not an OptionLincoln,Ca.

#3 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 02 December 2005 - 03:59 PM

Obviously you wear them at the range it's mandatory at all the ranges I've ever been to. I wear hearing protection if I'm shooting a 22lr. Tininitus ? spell is nothing to mess with dale
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#4 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 06:11 PM

Stiff Neck,It sounds like you and I have the same hearing protection program.

#5 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 02 December 2005 - 06:15 PM

Hey Steve,I bet you have a couple of guns you have never had to wear protection for. :lol: dbOn another note, have you taken your son out this pheasant season yet?
TALK STRAIGHT, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND KEEP THE MAGAZINE LOADED.ORANGEVALE,CA

#6 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 06:49 PM

I've been ear blasted by the best of them. All I know is the ringing in my ears is no fun and being partially deaf isn't either. I shot for along time without and I'm paying for it now. I'm just trying to keep the remaining hearin I've got because I really don't want to have to wear hearing aids. Dale

#7 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,748 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 02 December 2005 - 07:49 PM

For rats and target yes not for deer ,yotes. I do put a fome ear plug in my left ear for jacks and sometimes calling thats where the blast hits most. not sure where I got that. think from the TV.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#8 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sports

Posted 02 December 2005 - 07:57 PM

Almost forgot, I do were ears when someone is shooting next to , like Samuri Joe. :lol:
Failure is not an OptionLincoln,Ca.

#9 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 09:54 PM

Mr Mr But no pics of all those yote bro. What's up? There is no ear surgeries that restore hearing lost by exposure to loud or high impact DB's. It is a nonrenewable resource.

#10 archer

archer

Plinker

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Archery, Hunting

Posted 03 December 2005 - 07:10 AM

I started having ear troubles years ago, even the ring of a hammer on a nail bothers me. I started wearing electronic ear plugs and easy ten years ago. I wear them for everything and I double up at the range. the ones I use from EAR are expensive, but no more than 1 complete rifle setup! Pretty easy choice in my book!Mike

#11 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 08:13 AM

Mike that's what I use also. EAR out of Boulder, Co. They actually help while duck hunting to hear the ducks from afar. dale

#12 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,394 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 03 December 2005 - 09:56 AM

You really need to wear good hearing protection. I wish I had been better about doing so in my youth too. I find myself saying "Huh and excuse me" all to often now. I have tinnitus and I'm sure it will progress. So I try and wear hearing protection at all times around firearms. You think you are invincible but it creeps up on you before you know it. Like wearing reading glasses after forty it's going to happen. Be safe and you'll be happier believe me. :lol:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#13 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 03:53 PM

I wear hearing aids now. I'm sure part of it is because I didn't wear hearing protection whem I was younger. Of course, back then all we knew to do was to stuff some cotton in the ears. And that wasn't considered the manly thing to do. Working around construction noises for so many years didn't help either.Now I wear hearing protection. Should have started a loooooong time ago.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users