8 replies to this topic

#1 OutdoorAviator

OutdoorAviator

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 06:18 PM

So now that I finally own a rifle, I want to make sure I can get the best accuracy from it I possibly can, so I turn to you experts...As stated previously, I got a Stevens .223, and plan on using it mainly for smaller moving targets and the usual trips to the range for the stationary flat targets. So my questions:Looking for a budget kit to get started with (think ~$100, and I really dont care too much about how long it takes per round).. Can someone point me in the right direction? I was looking at the Lee Anniversary Reloading kit, and have heard nothing but good things about it...How about components? Where would the best place be to get them? Any recipes that have been found to work really well? Any other pointers would be greatly appreciated... :roflmao3[1]:

#2 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 07:25 PM

Always look on MidwayUSA for stuff. The reviews help, and they have a ton of stuff to choose from!Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1
Fellow Team Savage member and Team Ruger! Semper Fidelis!
NRA Certified Instructor / Multi-state CCW Instructor

#3 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,785 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 17 March 2007 - 07:36 PM

With my 223, WW 748 powder and Sierra or Hornady 50 gr bullets have been given the Varmint Seal of Approval on many occassions. :roflmao3[1]:

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#4 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 09:45 PM

Here's a smoking deal on a caliper.http://www.californi...d...ost&p=34112

#5 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 18 March 2007 - 06:48 PM

I got one of those lee aniversary kits years ago and planned on up gradeing once I got the ins and outs of reloading (and started makeing more money). It's been a good little set up. I still use most of the equipment it came with, and I highly recomend it. The primeing tool recomends not to use certain primers but I use them all and haven't had one pop yet. Other than that kit you'll need a way to clean your brass (tumbler) a way to trim your brass and a caliper to measure brass/ammo length. Oh, go to a store that has an office supply section and get an ink pad (one that doesn't have ink in it already). They make great lube pads and they are cheaper than ordering a true lube pad. You'll also need a couple of plastic 50rd flip top ammo boxes (they're cheap so get a few more than you think you'll need). Finally you'll need a set of dies. I like the lee dies. They come with a shell holder for the press and they dont require tools to adjust. Get yourself a Midway USA catalog, you'll find everthing you could need (and then some) in there. The load I use has shot extremly well (.20s to .60s) in every heavy barreled savage I've put it through so it should work in your stevens too. I use 50gr honady v-max bullets over 27.3 gr of H-4895 with a standard small rifle primer. This load is very close to the allowable max charge acording to the Hodgdon Powder Co. so I'd start low and work your way up looking for signs of excesive pressure. I've never found it to hot for any bolt guns I've put it through but you never Know.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#6 OutdoorAviator

OutdoorAviator

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 10:16 AM

That's perfect, just the news I was looking for. I think I'm going to put in an order for the Lee kit in the next week or so, and hopefully get some paper results in the next few weeks. :D

#7 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,785 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 21 March 2007 - 05:39 PM

OA,Keep us posted. You really don't have to break the bank to load good ammo and a lot of the newbies on here will want to know how well the Lee equipment works. Heck, I wanna know too! :signlol2iu: A few pics would be good also.

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#8 steven49

steven49

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 03:50 PM

I, too have the Lee Anniversary Kit, I also bought his book, Reloading second Edition..$11.50..Good Stuff, and will apply to your reloading Operation. I'am loading for 4 Caliber's .223, .243, .308, and .357 Magnum..Am getting Excellent results, All loads are easily 1" /at 100yds..I use H-322 24.5gr, with a 50 gr Hornady V-max bullet, for the .223 but also like Sierra Bullet's..I also shoot Weatherby( Vanguard) rifles, exclusively, with could account for some of the accuracy. You will like the Lee Products,and his philosophy..do it Right and economically..Hope this helps..steven49

#9 steven49

steven49

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 03:58 PM

Whoops!! I forgot 1 Thing..Go to loadbooks.com and Order your Caliber..These are only $10.95, Shipped.They are out of N. Calif, Ft Jones..These books are the Best 1 book 1 Caliber I have found..They cover almost All Bullet and Powder mfger's..Loads, Data, etc..They make it Easy..!steven49

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users