30 replies to this topic

#1 stevowpappas

stevowpappas

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 05:42 PM

i found out that the sweet 17 sucks. Ive been using it since last year but it wont hold zero and the clarity is worse than the free tasco scope i got with my savage.so what scope are you guys using? I have bad eyes so i need something real clear and something that will help me see squirrels past 100 yards.

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,328 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 12 March 2007 - 06:30 PM

i found out that the sweet 17 sucks.

What took you so long to find that out? Maybe your eyes aren't that bad after all. :D Seriously I sent my Sweet 17 back the first week I had it. It wouldn't hold POI for anything. Nikon makes some very good scopes in the Buckmaster Line. I have several and know other people here do to. The nice thing about their 6-18's that I have is the side focus. They work great and the price is very good. Maybe bzzdr feedr will chime in here because he's got lots more than me.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 12 March 2007 - 06:41 PM

The burris full field II with the ballistic plex works great. They usually go for around 200 bucks and midway and natchez useually have deals where they'll throw in a burris compact spotting scope or binocular for free
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#4 John

John

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,Bench Rest Shooting,Reloading,Fishing,Camping and the great outdoors

Posted 12 March 2007 - 06:45 PM

I just put a Bushnell 4200 Elite-4X16 on my CZ 17 hmr and the glass is crystal clear.Gettin to old to play around with cheap glass so tried to do it right the first time ,seems to save some frustration and a little aggravation.Just my humble theory!

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,328 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 07:08 PM

My little Savage .17HMR has a Nikon Monarch 6.5-20 on it and it is great but a little more money than you might want to spend. Sometimes it's hard to justify spending more for the scope than the gun cost.Posted Image

Time waits for no one--

#6 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 12 March 2007 - 10:14 PM

Mine is holding up fine so far LOL.. I hope it doesnt start causing me grief.. I paid 129 for the dang thing, wasnt exactly cheap...
Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

#7 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 07:46 AM

I had one too could never get a zero on it either even took it to Turners. I thought I had a bad scope. I sent it back that week and got a Bushnel from Turners works great has Mil dots since then I have taken 6 yotes with it.

#8 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 13 March 2007 - 08:10 AM

I purchased a sweet 17 scope a year ago and it works fine. My brother has one and it works fine as well. They are both 2x6 power I believe which works good in the hilly areas where I shoot squirrels. I got it because I was intrigued with the concept and the darn thing was dirt cheap. A couple thousand rounds later and it still killing them so I guess we lucked out. My only complaint about the scope is that the cross hairs are kind of thick. I like a finer recticle.Jason

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,328 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 08:19 AM

Jason the Sweet 17's that are the worst appear to be the higher powered models. I think the insides move more at higher power. Mine worked excellent for one whole day and then I could hardly hit the target. Well, maybe not quiet that bad but I could barely cover my pattern at 100 yards. I thought I was shooting a shotgun. :censored[1]:I think those scope were invented by an evil squirrel scientist! :roflmao3[1]:

Time waits for no one--

#10 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 13 March 2007 - 08:29 AM

Evil Squirrel Scientists, the scum!!!!! If I had known all the bad experiences people have had I wouldn't have picked them up but at least I didn't get burned. I've thought of replacing it a few times with a Nikon, Bushnell, or even a Leapold but it is killing so many squirrels that I haven't had the heart to do it. I thought it might make a nice air rifle scope. Those evil squirrels must figure that the lower powered scopes aren't worth the trouble!Jason

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,328 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 08:32 AM

A springer style air rifle will destroy that and most scopes. You need to get a scope specifically designed for air rifles due to the reverse recoil associated with the spring pounding the scope backwards.

Time waits for no one--

#12 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 13 March 2007 - 05:05 PM

A springer style air rifle will destroy that and most scopes. You need to get a scope specifically designed for air rifles due to the reverse recoil associated with the spring pounding the scope backwards.

You know we were told that too, and I just have a hard time believeing that.. For example bouncing around in the gun boot on my quad has GOT to have some negative impact on a scope.. If an air rifle will destroy a scope then why wouldnt bouncing around on a quad all day over hill and dale kill it? My quad bounces WAY more than an air rifle can kick for sure.....
Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

#13 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,328 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 05:14 PM

A springer air rifle has tremendous forward thrust on a scope. Most springer even have special scope mounts because the springer can tear the scopes right from the gun. Often the scope is physically moved in the rings because of the violence of the spring action.

Time waits for no one--

#14 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 08:45 PM

On my RWS springer it is constantly moving the scope backwards on the rail. About time I go and get a scope stop. Speaking of that, does anyone know if a Gamo scope stop will work on the RWS standard rail? I believe it is 3/8" or 11mm.Thanks!Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1
Fellow Team Savage member and Team Ruger! Semper Fidelis!
NRA Certified Instructor / Multi-state CCW Instructor

#15 atavuss

atavuss

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 07:52 PM

I just installed a Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x40mm on my .17HMR Ruger Varmint. very impressed with the scope!

#16 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:59 PM

My quad bounces WAY more than an air rifle can kick for sure.....

My Beeman air rifle has a bigger recoil than my .223! I can feel the negative recoil from it as well!I currently have a Bushnell Sharpshooter 3-9X40 on my Marlin 60 .22LR, I think I shoot that .22 better with the irons than I do with the scope, so I am going to put it on my Marlin .17HMR. Does anyone think I'll regret that?
Sheldon

#17 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 12:14 AM

I've got this Muller on minehttp://www.muellerop...s/MT852544.html

#18 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 03:28 AM

I like Mueller, I've got one with a lighted reticle on an upper. I just picked up a Swift 6x18. Posted ImageWhat was interesting is that the AO is unmarked and they give you stickers so that you can adjust it where you want your marks to be when you sight it in.

#19 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 06:14 AM

I bought the Cabela's .17 HMR scope.. In fact I bought 2 of them.. Has anyone heard or experienced anything bad with those? I put it on a 10/22 mag conversion to 17HMR. I have not had time to shoot it yet, thought it would be a fun paper/squirrel gun.

#20 NVScouter

NVScouter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 02:40 PM

For your money buy a Barska from www.opticplanet.com free shipping. My one and olny BSA now rotates when switching from 3-9X, most of the glass in BSA, Simmons, etc. suck.I have a 3-12X50 on my 17HMR and love it, and a 6-24X50 on my 22-250. Both scopes cost me under $70 each delivered! If you want a very nice scope buy a Nikon, if you want a good useable scope go Barska! Great customer service too!

#21 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 08 November 2007 - 03:53 PM

I needed a set of cheap, compact binoculars for the pickup & just hiking around. I picked up a set of Barskas on sale for $39.99 (regularly priced over $100) and they are horrible. Friend had a set of Bushnells that were ten times better, so I bought a pair identical to his for $35. I've been using them all season with zero complaints. Doubt I'll ever try another Barska product again.
Oregon Hunter's Association memberE. Clampus Vitus Estanislao Chapter 58, Humbug Chapter 73, and Umpqua Joe Outpost 1859 memberIf you can't fix it with a hammer, then you've got an electrical problem.

#22 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,973 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 06:39 PM

I too am a fan of the Mueller scope. I put it on my .204 a 4-16x50 with AO, Mildot Tacticle, its worked fine..
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#23 rr762mmfmj

rr762mmfmj

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 08:24 PM

I've got this Muller on minehttp://www.muellerop...s/MT852544.html

Ditto

#24 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 09:29 AM

I really like the Mueller scope I put on my 10/22http://www.muellerop...MAPV451440.htmland I was thinking about purchasing the 8.5-25x44 for my Savage Predator in .223...you think that would be a good match up?
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#25 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,328 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 09:56 AM

That's an awfully powerful scope for anything more than shooting targets, ground squirrels or prairie dogs. Coyote hunting with that high of a power it would be almost impossible to find the animal in the scope quickly enough to get a shot. I would suggest something much lower depending on where and what you are going to be hunting. At the most a 4-12 power for fairly open areas and better yet a 3-9. My old .243 has a 2-8 power Leupold on it and I used that gun for years to great effect. Most of my other older predator and varmint rifles have 3-9 on them. I have some extrememly powerful scope but they are on my squirrel and varmint rifles. My AR carry gun uses a 4-12 and I think it's too powerful and will be changed out.

Time waits for no one--

#26 tomcat

tomcat

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 01:03 PM

look at the muller scopes i liked my scopes befor thay got jacked!

#27 huntnsurf

huntnsurf

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, surfing,fishing,sports,target shooting,reloading,camping

Posted 09 November 2007 - 01:16 PM

I agree with john I use a 6-24-42 and I rarely go over 14 power for yotes, I only use the 24 on ground squierls. When the action gets fast you dont want to much power it will frustrate you I recommend a 4-16

#28 Robs223

Robs223

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 04:55 PM

I as well got the Bushnell 4200 Elite, cant complain what so ever! Nice clarity and a great tactical scope for the money!
KILLEM ALL, LET GOD SORTEM OUT!!!

#29 calibrad

calibrad

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 05:47 PM

i have a bushnell elite 3200 in 4x12 and i love it holds a zero and is clear as can be well worth the money.

#30 jim d

jim d

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 07:16 PM

I've got a Simmons 3X9 Eightpoint on my H&R single shot and it's never given me any problems. Have shot around 200rds. out to 150yds.----Jim d

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users