• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 10 March 2007 - 08:09 AM

What sort of scopes are you all using for night hunting? WIth the one I have you cant even see the cross hairs at all.. They just disappear. We were looking at the BSA for 90.00 in the cabelas catalog that has the dot in themiddle that lights up... Anyone have that one? And how good is it during the day time when you dont use the dot? I do most my hunting during the day or early evening but last night learned real quick my scope basically sucks at night.. You cant see the cross hairs at all.... Anyone have any that they would recomend or not recomend?

#2 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 09:28 AM

Rae,What scope are you using now? What reticle? What light?

#3 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 10:15 AM

Use a shotgun!

#4 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 10 March 2007 - 10:31 AM

Well I dont think I can use a shot gun.. They tend to be rather loud at 2 am.. My neighbors might not appreciate me blasting away at that time and wake them up.. I know there are several who would be outr making sure I didint shoot their stupid dogs (which I do if they are harrassing my livestock LOL) I use a BUshnell Banner 4 to 12 x 44mm, with a duplex ritcule. I am considering getting a illuminated one with the dot in the middle. Hubby found one in the cabelas catalog that you can dial the intensity up or down or depending on the lighting situaton. So I might get that one. Its a BSA with etched illuminated dot.. IM thinking I might set up tonight and call them in :) I figure heck they are obvious in this area right now.. might as well take advantage of the fact... Seems like mostly young ones from last year.. The older ones know to stay away from my pens usually... They are the ones that come down the fenceline but just use my back pasture as a road way to go somewhere else.. Its the young stupid ones that think I am serving a buffet LOL...

#5 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 10 March 2007 - 05:25 PM

huntress, I have heard cheap scopes do not work well with illuminated cross hairs or dots. Supposedly the entire scope turns red, not just the dot / crosshairs. And one cannot get much cheaper than BSA. Sorry! Bushnell, Nikon etc are much better quality scopes, but even those you do not want to get their cheapest models... Go in the middle or closer to their top end models. Good LuckFrank

#6 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 07:56 PM

Thanks for the advise.. Ill check into the other ones before I buy anything :)

#7 jephs422

jephs422

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 02:35 AM

Rae what's your budget? I spent a few good weeks picking scopes before I went with my Nikon Monarch Illuminated reticle. I got it off Ebay for under $450.00. I know that the Bushnell 4200 are comparable, but for a bit less, the Bushnell 3200 Illuminated reticles can be found cheap also. After using my illuminated reticle on the last trip, I will never put another scope on a rifle that I may shoot at night without an IR. They frickin ROCK!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users