10 replies to this topic

#1 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 11:31 PM

NOT !!! :unsure: I just came in from the garage after cleaning out the flash hole on 210 rounds of my 17 Remington. My thumb and finger are already sore. Tomorrow I will do the flash hole and then trim them to length. With any luck I will be able to begin working on some loads to start a little load development.Next week the case annealer that I ordered should be here. This little unit will anneal 1000 rounds an hour! It is sure going to make my reloading process go faster.

#2 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 07:03 AM

I find a single wrap of white first aid tape around my thumb and index finger prevents blisters while still allowing good dexterity. That annealer sounds neat, is that the one like SJ's?Yeah I try to stay ahead of the game on the prep. I get them all done up and primed then I package them up in lots of 100 all nice and neat with a label in the bag of the spec's. Which reminds me, I need to start packing some of those cases with powder for squirrels next month...

#3 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 09:26 AM

Yes, the annealer is the same one that John uses and recommends. It's made by Ken Light. It should make this chore a lot easier! Mine shipped out on the 5th, so it should be here soon. I just need to find a metal bucket/coffee can for the hot rounds to dump into so I don't melt a plastic bucket.

#4 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 07 March 2007 - 05:58 PM

Hmmmmm, I've been haveing a problem with work hardened/cracked necks in my 45-110 brass and that stuff aint cheap. Is the annealing tool you're getting cartridge specific or will it work for any case?
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#5 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 06:00 PM

You need caliber specific wheels, but one wheel will do more than one cartridge. Just like your shell holders.Check out this page ... there is even a video.http://www.6mmbr.com/annealing.html

#6 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,201 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 02:33 PM

Hay clamp I wonder if you could just use a butane torch to get by. That 45-110 what is the case compared to 300 mag or bigger?

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,144 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 08 March 2007 - 02:40 PM

Hey shoot-it, I got by for years using a propane torch. But some were over done and I burned a lot of fingers. Plus I'd get one side done and the other no so well. My auto annealer rotates the cases as they pass through the torches. Plus it can do close to 1000 and hour and drops them into a bucket to keep them away from my tender fingers. :)

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#8 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,201 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 09:12 AM

Oh come on John I know you can take it you have 10 fingers..... ;)

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,144 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 09:38 AM

Oh come on John I know you can take it you have 10 fingers..... ;)

Yep, but they were getting shorter due to the skin falling off. ;)

Time waits for no one--

#10 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 10 March 2007 - 09:44 AM

Wow, that annealing machine is one serious piece of equipment. :) I'm gonna have to start saveing up for that one. At $89 for 50rds of .45 basic That thing would easily pay for itself in a couple years. In the meantime I think I'm gonna try the wood dowel in the primer pocket technique.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,144 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 10:01 AM

That works too and saves your fingers. Plus it's cheaper. :)

Time waits for no one--

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users