20 replies to this topic

#1 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 09:42 AM

Well, my camera finally bit the dust. I've been using a Olympus Stylus for the last 4-5 years and it's been a decent camera but it's having a few issues now so I think I'll get a new one. You guys have any suggestions for a new digital? I know squat about cameras...I'd like to get something that is small and will fit in my pocket, has a timer function and takes decent pictures day & night. thanks.
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#2 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 09:48 AM

The Canon elph or I think it's called a powershot now. I bought one for my wife about a year ago. Fits in my shirt pocket and is up near 6.0megapixels. For under $300. Also takes short video clips.
Sheldon

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,473 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 06 March 2007 - 09:56 AM

Ed, I went with my uncle to pick out a new digital for him to use since printing pictures is old school. He has a computer and uses it daily he is also 86. He wanted something very easy to use and would take great pictures. This is what we got for him. http://www.nikonusa....productNr=25559He took it to Hawaii and has shot over 500 pictures with it so far and they look great. The new cameras are smarter than the users. They seem to adjust easily to make even poor lighting situations come out nice. There is another new model below this one an S200 but it was so small it was difficult to hold even for me. The really amazing things about these new cameras are the mega pixel size and his is 7.1. My favorite Nikon the D70 is half that but I can at least change lenses. The Nikon he got is a great camera and when my Nikon 3200 dies or my wife won't give it back I'll by the S500.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 11:28 AM

Thanks for the info guys, I will check em out.

#5 Truckeedan

Truckeedan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing whenever my wife will let me!

Posted 06 March 2007 - 12:44 PM

I use a digital camera every day at work and I have one for play at home. I would recommend getting the highest pixel count and highest optical zoom you can afford. I have continuous opportunities to take photos of deer, coyotes, bear and they are hardly ever where you would like them to be. I wish I had more optical zoom on all my cameras so I can blow photos up as large as I want for printing. For just snapshots, the Olympus Stylus 300 works fine and won't break the bank.Truckeedan
Mountain coyotes have more fur.

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,473 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 01:02 PM

If you don't mind standing back a ways or lugging it around you could get something like mine. :) Posted Image :ph34r: :blink:

Time waits for no one--

#7 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 06 March 2007 - 02:27 PM

Ed, John is correct with the new cameras. The one thing most people don't understand is that it isn't just the megapixels that are important. The D70 that John has will out perform any of the 6 megapixel point-and-shoot cameras because the CCD sensor that captures the data on the D70 is approaching the size of a 35mm slide. The P&S cameras are the size of a dime. The computer in the camera boosts the pixel size by using what is called interpolation(sp).What I did was purchase a memory card and had the salesperson put the card in all of the cameras I liked. I then shot two images/camera and brought the images home and viewed them with the photo editing software I use. The I made my choice.Hope this adds to the info from above. :ph34r: db
TALK STRAIGHT, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND KEEP THE MAGAZINE LOADED.ORANGEVALE,CA

#8 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 06 March 2007 - 03:36 PM

I need one that comes with an operator. <_< techno dale lives on :huh:
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#9 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 03:41 PM

I'm kinda like Dale. I use a PHD camera. "PUSH HERE DUMMY."

#10 Mayhem

Mayhem

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, Fishing, wwII aviation. Flight sims, Computer games.

Posted 06 March 2007 - 05:07 PM

It would depend on what you want to use it for. me personaly I prefure Canon's.For Basic hunting fishing and outdoors where you need to make a fast high quality shot without the added bulk. I'de recomend any of the power shot SDs for the ultra compactness. then the A series as a good in between camara and the s3is for best over all camara with good zoom. Next would be a Digital SLR like a canon EOS or digital rebel.
Smyrna Lodge #532 F. & A.M.Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit!

#11 fireboltr

fireboltr

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 05:44 PM

i shoot nikon and only nikon not that i dont think cannon doesnt make a good camera but....there is a reason that 75% of all pullitzer prize winning photographers shoot them just my opinion but nowdays you really cant go wrong with any d-slr

#12 SpotandStalk

SpotandStalk

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Sporting Clays.

Posted 06 March 2007 - 07:07 PM

Fiveflat,In your original post I don't remember you mentioning trying to win a photography award. <_< :huh: As far as top end glass, I'm not sure what is the best as I don't spend thousands for my camera equipment.As far as point and click digital cameras of hunting pack size...I've used or owned Canon, Nikon, Kodak, and Sony. I now only buy and use Canon glass. You'll pay a little more for the Canon vs the Nikon or Kodak, but you'll also pay a little more for Leupold glass compared to Tasco or the like.S&S
"Would you vote for a woman as unqualified as Barack Obama?" -Hillary Clinton-"The best thing about the cash for clunkers program was it got thousands of the Obama stickers off the streets.""Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of congress. But I repeat myself." -Mark Twain-

#13 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 11:59 PM

Did you make any decisions?John, how much does that camera, lens and tripod weigh?

#14 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 06:49 AM

Did you make any decisions?John, how much does that camera, lens and tripod weigh?

'Bout this much :) :unsure: [attachment=1046:attachment]

#15 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 08:22 AM

Ha! That's awesome.

#16 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,473 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 09:31 AM

That's pretty funny but a good idea. It weights about 30 pounds total. The lens is by far the heaviest part due to the glass in it. It's a 600mm F4 so to get all of that light you have bigger glass. But you can pack it over your shoulder with the camera attached to the tripod. But then you have to pack the camera bag with the other camera and lenses. :)

Time waits for no one--

#17 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 07 March 2007 - 10:45 AM

Everything I've posted on this forum was pretty much taken with a Nikon Coolpix. It's simple enough that I can figure it out and I like the picture quality. With the larger card I can even do short video. My sister has one and she says it's the best compact digital she has ever had. My mom even got one after using my sisters. It fits really easilly in my hunting bag.Jason

#18 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 11:27 AM

Fiveflat,In your original post I don't remember you mentioning trying to win a photography award. :D :)

Yup! I'm not a professional photographer, nor do I want to pretend I am. I just want to snap a picture of some carnage once in a while. Heck, I'm happy with the crappy little camera on my cell phone most of the time. I never have my wife's camera with me when I'm out, I usually have her old one if I have that at all. It's a Nikon Coolpix, but it's a bigger one, don't remember the model number.
Sheldon

#19 fireboltr

fireboltr

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 05:13 PM

hahah!!!!funny in the wheel barrow thing.....good idea though shoot i havent weighed mine yet but it is up there i have a 70-200mm afs-vr f2 on it as far as the spending more on cannon glass ummm..... well i know they charge more for their low end stuff than nikon but as far as high end stufff shoot when you get to higher end glass from nikon/cannon they run about the same cannon has always focused more on sports photography and nikon has always focused more on slightly slower much higher clarity take what you want as far as point and shoots go try to find one with something larger than like 6mm glass on the front trust me your pictures will thank me

#20 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 08:28 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, appreciate it.

#21 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 09:12 AM

Lots of info here:http://www.steves-di...st_cameras.htmlI got this one for the wife for Christmas. It was $300, plus $50 for a 1mg card, plus $40 for an extra battery, and $7 for a case.Posted ImageCanon SD700IS. We love it, small battery and charger, small memory card, 6 MPs, 4x optical zoom. We like it a lot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users