7 replies to this topic

#1 Menace

Menace

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 05:33 PM

Finally got my savage set up and used the fancy laser bore sighter I got for x-mas. I sighted at 50 yards in my back yard prior to going to the range. First shot today at the range sent the round about 4" to the left and 2" low. Thought the laser could have been off.. checked it again but it was at the same spot. 5 rounds later the rifle was dialed in at 50 yards ready to move down to 100 yards. Checked the laser sight just to see and the sight was about 6 or 70" to the right and 3" low. Any idea why the bore would be off so much from the scope?its the $60 laserlyte bore sight that goes into teh front of the barrel. The scope is a Tasco 6x24x42 using leupold rings and mounts. Any chance i screwed up mounting the scope? What is the best way to sight in the scope at 100 yards... Should I use full power or lowest? Having a problem getting it zero'd and can't tell if its my moving or its just off. John

#2 SLYoteBoy

SLYoteBoy

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Deer , Hog , Yote and Squirrel hunting

Posted 02 March 2007 - 09:54 PM

Maybe rings or bases loose? All I could think of

#3 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 08:42 AM

Get rid of that fancy laser thing and just shoot the rifle to sight it in. If you want to make sure it's on paper before you pull the trigger, pull the bolt and look down the tube. Make sure you can see the same thing thru the bore and the scope at the same time. There's been some extensive posts on this method in the last month or two. And it's free.

#4 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 03 March 2007 - 09:03 AM

Don't worry about boresighter not lining up relative to the scope - that's normal. Boresighter will only put you on paper. That's all it does nothing else. Just shoot that thing. :)

#5 Menace

Menace

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 09:22 AM

Thanks, when I adjusted the target to the red dot on paper at 25 yards it was then off paper... when zeroing a 6x24 powered scope, what is the best power to do that in? seems at 100 yards the rifle is very unsteady with just a sand bag rest at high power... anyone recommend a good rifle rest? with my big game rifles I use a 3x9 and usually dont have any issues. My usual sight in is to fire 3 at 25... and then zero and then fire 3 at 100 to get the general zero... i use cheap blinking ammo for this and then for the final adjustments i use what ever i will use in the field... John

#6 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 03 March 2007 - 11:58 AM

Shooting at hundred yards, with your scope at high magnification setting, amplified any slight movement in your part. The trick is to use a steady rest, or a bipod to eliminate , or the very least, minimized the movement. These requires a lot of practice. Midway sells pedestal front rest and rear bags at a very reasonable price. As far as ammo is concerned, stick with what works for you gun. Get into reloading if you can. RJ

#7 kissacoyote

kissacoyote

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 12:35 AM

Way back when, about 1971, I bought a Parker Hale 30-06 and a Bushnell Banner 4X scope. The gun-shop guy set the scope up in the back room with whatever they used back then. They called it "bench sighting". I didn't have to touch it. Deadly. Two of the rifles that I bought recently I had the shops mount and "laser sight" the scopes. One was off to the right about a foot and about two feet down at 100yds. The other was just as far off but in a different place. Neither had the rings lapped. P poor. Had to set them up right myself. "Laser" implies precision. Far from it. I don't know if they actually did it, but if they did, either they don't know what they are doing, or the stuff is junk. Nothing beats doing it correctly yourself, and it doesn't take that long.

#8 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 07 April 2007 - 08:49 AM

I was at Wild Sports looking for some rings. Since I was there, I had him mount the scope and bore sight it at the same time. When he handed the gun to me and I looked through the tube, I noticed the crosshairs had no less than 10 dgrees of cant. I couldn't believe he used the bore sighting tool and didn't notice any cant to the mounting. I had him rotate the tube.When taking it to the range, it was hitting 1 1/2 foot low and to the left. It's like you say, "What's the point in using the tools if you don't now what you are doing or the tools are defective.db

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users