#1 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Interests:Hunting/Fishing/ Hiking

Posted 25 February 2007 - 10:25 PM

I just wanted to get a load that would push a 250 gr Jacketed bullet at 1100FPS.Asked for suggested loads on a few forums. All said I was asking too much for a 45LC. Then I found sixgunner.com. A shooter wrote an article about hot loads he used for exact same pistol only a 4" BBL instead of six like mine.I was useing 15 grs of Blue dot behind 250 gr Jacketed bullet ( Which is 4 grs above max,I worked up loads 1 gr at a time) but only produced 925 FPS.No exstraction problems at all. So this article he said for his back country load ( In case he ran into a Black Bear) was a 260 gr cast bullet in front of 23.5 grs of H110. ( Thats the load I use out of my 44 mag with 240 gr bullets)However he even used bigger charges with 320 gr bullets. So I figured ( This guy swore it was safe in his S&W.) So loaded 23.5 gr of H110 behind Hornady 250gr XTP. Man that load kicked,big ol ball of fire out that gun. I said oh I've really done it this time. But the ammo was very accurate and still no exstraction problems at any time. Then I clocked the load. Average out of 4 shots was 1,050 FPS. Well I'm satisfied. This shooter said he has shot Black bear with big 260 gr slugs that went clean through a Black Bear that only had a FPS of 900. He said the Kenetic energy is super high, and just rolled those Black bears over. Pays to search the web.

#2 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 26 February 2007 - 04:19 AM

That load may be way too hot for your revolver ;) The reason I say this is that if you check the Hodgdon and Hornady reloading books, such a load in 45 Colt is only safe in Ruger, Freedom Arms, and T/C handguns. I shoot a 300 gr. XTP behind 22 gr. of H110 in my 45 Colt Ruger Blackhawk with a 7" bbl. for about 1150 FPS. Pretty wicked load.I have also shot 300 gr. XTPs out of my S&W 629 Classic with a 5" bbl. with 19 gr. of H110 getting about 1200 FPS.With both of these loads I am starting to see some slight flattening out of the primers indicating STOP HERE :( and back off a little. Even at this point I have no extraction problems. These loads are from Hodgdon.JMHO. Be safe.

#3 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 04:54 PM

4hunts Thanks for response. What you say concerns me greatly. I had internet explore 6 and switched to IE 7 when I did this I could'nt down load the article I read on www.sixgunner.com . A shooter wrote a lengthy article specifically about my gun and various hot loads he uses.Went into great detail of results and how he has shot hundreds of loads with H110 and with heavier cast bullets! I mean this guy shoot 320 grain Bear tooth cast bullets. At 1,100 FPS out of a 4" BBL on top of that. Bottom line is no even slightly flattened primers out of either Remington Brass or Winchester brass. Plus very accurate no extraction problems . Plus shot 4 rnds through chronograph.They were all between 1,040 and 1,060. So with this low SD I think thats a good sign. I've shot 70 rnds so far with consistant shot to shot. However posted this load else wear and a responder said I won't see any signs of over pressure with a mag primer. Ok else wear others have said the S&W 25 is inbetween a Colt SSA and a Ruger Black hawk.So I guess I'm living on the edge.Oh Dang I guess I just type the same stuff again. Oh well I take what you say seriously.I shoot that same load out of my 44 mag with 240 gr bullet. I get nearly 1,400 FPS. Case presents a smaller area to exspand in so thus highr pressures.

#4 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 27 February 2007 - 05:11 PM

It is well known that S&W, while being a fine revolver, has a tendency to be not as strong as Ruger and some others. It seems to me that if you really want to shoot that kind of cartridge, you should get a revolver that you KNOW will handle it. Why put your life, and possible someone elses on the line. In fact, why don't you just go out and buy a revolver in 454 Casull. That way you could have the ability to shoot a really powerful cartridge, and the ability to shoot a mild 45 cal from the same gun. I just don't see the logic in risking a serious injury or worse just to shoot something that can easily be done in another manner. Just my opinion.

#5 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 10:04 PM

Main reason is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ I recieved a posting on another web sight. This guy contacted Sierra tech people. They said if a 44 magnum is also chamber useing that same frame its ok to shoot 45LC +p loads. My 25-5 is a large frame S&W and S&W also makes a mod 29 in 44 mag. However they also( Sierra tech boys) S&W them selves recomend you not shoot a steady diet of full power loads of 44 mag out of their Mod 29 because it will losen screws and stretch the frame.... Thank you for your opinion.I really mean that to all who posted.If I had the cash I'd get the 460 XVR.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users