• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 23 February 2007 - 08:40 PM

Tonight I was pulling some 150 gr. bullets from some loaded 270 rounds. I pulled approx. 35 with no problem. Then it happened......As I was rapping the puller on the end of a 3' section of 4x4, the primer went off and flew out of the case. Thank God it did not ignite the powder!! I figured it was a fluke and gathered my wits and continued. The next round did the same thing!! After my knees stopped shaking, I again examined the case and puller. The case was fine except the primer had again flew out when it went off. The case looked normal and there was no obvious damage to the puller.It is an RCBS kinetic puller that I have used for over 10 years without a problem. This really scared the dog poop outta me. Anybody ever have this happen? I think I will contact RCBS and ask some questions. Another reason to ALWAYS wear SAFETY GLASSES!!!

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,699 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 23 February 2007 - 08:56 PM

I've never had a primer go off using a bullet puller but I don't care for Kinetic Bullet Pullers. I use a puller that grasps the bullet. I've set primers off while priming and not paying attention. :D You do have to be careful that the shell holder doesn't come into contact with a primer that isn't seated fully. That way when you rap it down the shell holder moves enough to hit the primer and BANG! :(

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 23 February 2007 - 09:03 PM

I did think of that, and checked and made sure the shell holder was seated tight with the screw down cap. It was still tight. I may just get rid of that thing and go with another type.

#4 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,762 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 24 February 2007 - 09:07 AM

I've used an RCBS kinetic for 25 years and never had a primer go off. Actually that's the first time that I've heard from someone who had it happen to them.
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

#5 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,811 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 24 February 2007 - 12:39 PM

I would be changing my shorts. What kept the primer from igniting the powder . ??

#6 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 02:05 PM

Dunno, but I am sure thankful for whatever it was! And twice in a row!!!

#7 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,811 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 24 February 2007 - 05:31 PM

WOW!!!!! Thank the LORD..

#8 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 06:07 PM

I too would have need to change my shorts!

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,699 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 06:23 PM

And your ears ring after that too. :(

Time waits for no one--

#10 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,082 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 10:15 PM

Why were you pulling so many isn't it easier shooting them...........I don't reload by the way.

#11 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 04:32 AM

Why were you pulling so many isn't it easier shooting them...........I don't reload by the way.

When Moly was all the rage I was trying it out. Too messy so I quit. With the process I tried you actually coated the inside of the bore with moly. Supposedly, from what I've read, it is not good to shoot moly coated, then jacketed bullets through a barrel without scrubbing the moly out. I had already scrubbed the moly out of the barrel and switched back to jacketed bullets and did not want to shoot the moly back through the barrel.

#12 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 03:36 AM

I sent an email to RCBS about what happened. RCBS said, like ShooterJohn said, it may have been caused by high primers and the shell holder being loose and contacting the primer. Said he has only heard of this once in his 20 years with RCBS. I am fairly certain the primers were not high. Anyway the mystery continues. The technician asked what part of the puller was damaged when this occurred and I told him it wasn't, but I could use a couple new rubber o-rings. He replied they are in the mail free of charge. What a great company.

#13 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,699 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 09:40 AM

I sent an email to RCBS about what happened. RCBS said, like ShooterJohn said, it may have been caused by high primers and the shell holder being loose and contacting the primer.

Hey that ShooterJohn guy is pretty smart! :lol:They are great about sending replacement parts. It's hard to beat their customer service.

Time waits for no one--

#14 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 09:12 AM

Any chance your primer pockets are loose or your primers are too small for the pockets, and your primers backed out a bit when you struck the bullet puller, causing the primers to hit something and detonate? Just an idea.

#15 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 10:42 PM

I loaded the rounds myself and I am very particular and check each round when I seat the primes. These were once fired cases with WLR primers seated with a RCBS hand primer unit. There is really nothing for them to be struck by as the chuck that holds the shell grips it in the extraction groove on the case head, there is nothing there to make contact with the primer, except the screw down cap that holds it all together. And this was screwed down tight. Scary stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users