Photo

Are pigeons considered "flying varmints"?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#31 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 12:19 PM

Wow, thanks guys! I knew there was a difference between air rifle scopes and powder scopes, etc. but didn't think of this. This little 4X20 isn't much, but not worth shaking to pieces over one weekend of fun. I can wait till Monday (I think :D )

I bought this as a gift for my best friend the same day I bought my gun

I read this before, but it didn't really sink in until now. Can I be one of your best friends? :o

#32 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 02:56 PM

I was thinking the same thing... I'll be your friend if you buy me a gun! :D

#33 MeatVapor

MeatVapor

Squirrel Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Killing fuzzy critters.

Posted 24 February 2007 - 09:09 PM

I am fortunate to have 1 friend that is selfless, loyal, and loves my family because he knows how much I love them. My wife treats him like dog poop, but one day some crankface guy was talking dog poop to her outside my house (threats and cussing), and it just so happened I was at work. My friend just happened to call my house at the same time and he heard what was going on. He didnt say a word to my wife about it, showed up 5 minutes later, and handled the problem for me.Thats a buddy. Without question, he is loyal. So when he was down and out, jobless, and here i was buying a new toy. I have 1000% more fun when my friends are having fun with me. I felt bad I could afford to get him the 52 like mine.So heres the Karma. He gets into some cash and calls me up, takes me to the gun store and dropped $1350 on an new AR-15, buys himself a matching one to boot.Anyhow, good choice on the Beeman. Even though the 1050 is Mexico made, it is still a great gun here is a review on it, only 2 reviews posted, one guy bombs it, the other liked it. You give it a review and bring up the numbers. http://www.reviewcen...iews108255.htmlHeres reviews on the 34 http://www.reviewcen...eviews1349.htmlHeres on the 52 http://www.reviewcen...eviews2094.htmlGood luck with the Beeman, it is a hell of a beautiful gun. FYI I put a simmons scope on my 52, like a 34 dollar scope, also got one for the buddy, both are holding up great, I will link the scope to you. http://www.natchezss...prodID=SN807702

#34 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 09:54 PM

I don't know why I kept writing that it's a 1050. It an SS1000. Although at Big 5 it was labeled a 1050, I think. I can't recall anymore. Anyway. Here are the reviews for it:http://www.reviewcen...views96059.html

#35 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,592 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 25 February 2007 - 12:27 PM

I have a 950 Beeman I think it is that I got at Walmart a couple of years ago. It's a .22 caliber so that I could hunt turkey here in California. I had it about a week before the season and had to shoot the heck out of it to stop it from dieseling on the first shot of the day. But then I went out opening day and spent a whole 20 minutes before getting my turkey. :D Now that's a loaner gun for anyone i go shooting with and I have a few higher end guns for me. It's a fine gun but the higher end Beeman's are really super accurate. I shoot in the house using a silent pellet trap on my 25 yard indoor range. On a rainy day I can shoot a few hundred pellets. It beats watching TV. Outside I have a 60yard range and if a starling or English sparrow happens by they're history. :o

#36 MeatVapor

MeatVapor

Squirrel Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 07:45 AM

What is Dieseling? I am unfamiliar with that term. I understand dieseling in automobiles, but how does that apply to an airgun?

#37 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,592 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 10:10 AM

What is Dieseling? I am unfamiliar with that term. I understand dieseling in automobiles, but how does that apply to an airgun?

It works the same way in a spring powered airgun. The spring compresses the air very rapidly and the oil in the chamber ignites just like a diesel engine. It cause great fluctuations in the air pressure produced changing your pellets impact. So until you burn out the oil by firing, sometimes as many as 500 times you won't get consistent groups when shooting. That's why you never put oil in an air chamber of a springer airgun. Non spring powered airguns don't have the problem because the air is already under pressure.I mentioned it earlier in the post but may not have explained it throughly enough.http://californiapre...p...ost&p=32176

#38 MeatVapor

MeatVapor

Squirrel Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 01:08 PM

I mentioned it earlier in the post but may not have explained it throughly enough.http://californiapre...p...ost&p=32176

Yeah I read it then, and didnt really understand, and was meaning to ask you. Its a very interesting thing, I know about high compression and pre ignition, and understand pressure causing heat. I just had no idea it could happen in a spring gun. Maybe if we get higher octane gun oil we can stop the pre ignition :o

#39 Flaccid Barrel

Flaccid Barrel

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 01:47 PM

Good point on the dieseling. I was not aware of that at all. I wish they would have mentioned that in the instruction manuals. From what you say, I still have quite of bit more work to do to finish "dieseling" my break-barrel. I had noticed that it does spray an errant pellet here and there. And I thought it was because the break-barrels didn't like to be rested on hard surfaces during discharge due to their recoil characteristics.I learned something new :o

#40 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 01:51 PM

I wish they would have mentioned that in the instruction manuals.

My Beeman manual mentions it. Doesn't go into detail about theory of combustion, but it just mentions dieseling and breakin after 500-1000 pellets, and that I might see an occasional stray.I was in shock that it'd take 1000 pellet. I've shot probably 200 rounds through it over the weekend, between siting the new scope and taking my fair share of flying rats.I'm getting a good 1" group at 35-40 yards with it now.

#41 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 07:23 AM

This is great!I'm like a dang 9 year old boy! I get home from work and load up my Beeman on my golf car on my way out to feed. I'm getting 1 or 2 pigeons/blackbirds every afternoon (except those rainy days we had recently)This weekend will be full of Beeman action as well (unless I take my .22LR out for some rabbit) since I don't get my new .223 until Monday.

#42 hawk eye

hawk eye

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 06:04 PM

TECH FORCE 99 , inexpesive, powerful, reliable.(mine was)

#43 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 08 March 2007 - 11:11 AM

I get home from work and load up my Beeman on my golf car on my way out to feed. I'm getting 1 or 2 pigeons/blackbirds every afternoon

All species of blackbirds are protected. Starlings and English (House) Sparows are not.db

#44 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 06:01 PM

All species of blackbirds are protected. Starlings and English (House) Sparows are not.db

I thought blackbird/starling was interchangable? Aren't starlings the once that flying in HUGE swarms that look like the movie "BIRDS" ? (I know they were NOT starlings in the movie) But in real life starlings 'swarm' like that, right?

#45 Flaccid Barrel

Flaccid Barrel

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 09:27 PM

I have included pictures of a starling and an english sparrow.Attached File  1.jpg   15.65KB   10 downloadsAttached File  _40950759_sparrow203.jpg   10.09KB   10 downloads

#46 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 09 March 2007 - 10:26 AM

Here,I just made this up for you. I hope this helps you out a bit. ;) dbhttp://www.treeofkno...ntification.jpg

#47 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 10:45 AM

Thanks FB and Bozsik!I guess what I have (which are as much a pain in the arse as the pigeons) look most like the Brewers Blackbirds. Mine don't have that yellow beak.

#48 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,592 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 10:51 AM

You can apply for a depredation permit to shoot blackbirds. I have a friend that does pest control at some stock yards with a pellet gun and they have permits. I really enjoy hunting with airguns on his properties because of the numerous targets of opportunity. ;)

#49 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,330 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 06:33 PM

I read somewhere that people use to eat blackbirds here in the U.S .In italy I believe they hunt then like we hunt ducks.Isn't there a saying blackbird pie.

#50 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 11:11 PM

You are probably thinking of the nurery rhyme "Sing a song of sixpence". They used to eat small songbirds as a delicacy. The European blackbird is actually a thrush. If you look at a photo of one, you will see they look like a melanistic American Robin. This is a totally different family group than the true blackbird.db

#51 Flaccid Barrel

Flaccid Barrel

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 02:31 PM

I may have missed the section but where in the DFG regulations are pigeons (rock pigeons) mentioned? I see where band-tail, starlings, english sparrows and rodents are included. Is it legal to shoot them? And if so, where is it so stated?

#52 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 03:18 PM

I stopped by DFG this afternoon. Pigeons (domestic) are not considered under DFG regs. They are domestic fowl. Chickens, peacocks, etc., are in the same category.They told me that I have to follow whatever local guidelines or restrictions for firearms for your area. Contact your local sherrif dept.db

#53 Flaccid Barrel

Flaccid Barrel

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 07:19 PM

That was quick work db and good to know. Thanks.Looks light it is a green light on those flying domesticated varmints.Firearms??!!?? Who needs firearms, when you've got scoped airguns at ~900-1200 fps. Let the fun continue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users