6 replies to this topic

#1 USNGOAT

USNGOAT

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 06:44 PM

Gentlemen another ammo question for ya. Went to the gunshow in Del Mar today. It really is not that good anymore. All the new California rules of the past 5-6 years have really watered thing down. Many people do not even bother to show up to this show anylonger for that same reason. Still is a good place to get a deal on some ammo though. Took the wife along with me today she wanted to see what it was like. Said "someone has to be the voice of reason." My question is... I picked up some Winchester 45 gr JHP "varmint" rounds do you think they will be any good for hunting or should I keep them for target shooting? I have been shooting 55 gr. but have heard many of you say to go lighter between the 45 and 50 for the best results. Now for the rest of the story. So these boxes of ammo are 40 round value pack's. They were being sold for 14.95 a box. I knew it was a good deal and I needed to stock up on some 223. So I grabbed 6 boxes, a box of 7mm mag and three boxes of .38 FMJ's for the wifes pistol. I had them all on the counter and while waiting to pay got side tracked with looking at some other things (imagine that). The wife made the purchase and made a comment about not being too expensive for the ammount of shooting I would be able to do. Come to find out when I got home 1 box of .38 were missing from the receipt along with 4 of the .223. So I guess I got an even better deal than I though I was going to get. Please don't get me wrong here I am all about being honest and a firm believer of Karma knocking on your door but I had no idea this was happening as the wife was making the purchase and just rolling with the punches. So now I have to go along with "good things happen to good people"hahahaha :blink: So again does anyone have any experience with this round? As always thanks

#2 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 18 February 2007 - 07:16 PM

Hey USNGOAT, not sure you'll get as good as response in the campfire thread as you would in one of the others.At anyrate, yeah, I think I have a lifetime supply of that stuff and is one of the most accurate factory rounds I've shot in several 223's. However, another excellent performing factory round is Black Hills 50gr v-max in their blue box, which my mini 14 likes even better than the win 45gr since I put a custom barrel on it.Anyway, yes, the 45gr win h.p. is good factory fodder for the 223 & should do fine for hunting. However we only killed one coyote with it, but it dropped it like a safe was dropped on his head. Hardly enough experience to draw a conclusion on it though. I personally am not a huge fan of h.p.'s for hunting, but hey, as long as they work why not??Good Luck Frank

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,216 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 18 February 2007 - 10:25 PM

Frank is right the Winchester White box value packs are sold at WalMart too and are very accurate rounds. You made a good choice. :D

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 08:27 AM

Personally my mini-14 loves the Black Hills 55 gr soft point (blue box). Great price and those things are very accurate out to 200+ yards. Best ammo I have found for my mini at this point.Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1
Fellow Team Savage member and Team Ruger! Semper Fidelis!
NRA Certified Instructor / Multi-state CCW Instructor

#5 USNGOAT

USNGOAT

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:43 PM

Well you all have sold me all the way. Again I have heard you all speak of this being a good round in the past and not have plenty of it myself. I did not realize this also sold at Walmart so that makes it even better. I have purchased a T/C G-2 Contender and a Savage model 11 both in .223 so there will be no shortage of ammo needed in the future. I have sighted both of them in with American Eagle 55 gr so off to the range tomorrow!! Always need an excuse for that anyway. This will serve as the last "required" time as they should both be hitting 1.5" high at 100 yards by high noon tomorrow. Thanks again fellas ;)

#6 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 09:00 AM

I bought the blue box Black Hills from Cabelas for fairly cheap. Buy a few boxes and use one up for sighting in, then the rest of things with fur!Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1
Fellow Team Savage member and Team Ruger! Semper Fidelis!
NRA Certified Instructor / Multi-state CCW Instructor

#7 SpotandStalk

SpotandStalk

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Sporting Clays.

Posted 20 February 2007 - 11:43 AM

USGoat,Agreed on the Del Mar gun show. As a fellow San Diegan I have decided to pass on the show for the last couple years as it's turned into a garage sale. ;) As for your Winchester 45g. I don't shoot the 223 but b/c of your ammo purchase blessing you picked up 240 rounds of 223 for roughly $30....I think the lesson or decision here is not whether you shoot hit paper or fur with the round....I think the lesson here is your better half should be making ALL future ammunition purchases. ;) A friend of mine has used the Win. JHP's in his 22-250 and has had some issues with drift if the wind is blowing at all.Not to get to technical, but the B.C on hollow point bullets usually aren't the greatest.S&S
"Would you vote for a woman as unqualified as Barack Obama?" -Hillary Clinton-"The best thing about the cash for clunkers program was it got thousands of the Obama stickers off the streets.""Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of congress. But I repeat myself." -Mark Twain-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users